SSD preventing access to Creation Club and mods(possibly more)

JasonTodd1976

I am running a Ryzen 5 1500x and GTX 1060 with dual ssd's and a standard 2tb Hdd. The problem is with the 1tb Crucial Mx500 SSD. I am using it as a "Steam Drive" and Fallout 4 is randomly crashing at various points in the game and at the menus, and now I can't get access to either the mods page or the Creation Club page at the Start Menu. When I move the files to either the HDD or the "Windows" SSD the games loads properly with the Mods and Creation Club no longer "greyed out". I suspect it shouldn't crash either. This would imply time for a replacement SSD?

Cheers All

Grab a copy of Crucial Storage Executive, install it, and run it. Have a look at what it thinks about your SSD. (it gives a ton of useful information, including drive health.)

That said, if you simply moved you game files to the new drive, the registry entries for the game won't be correct, and can cause some odd problems...... Need to INSTALL the game where you want it.

As for the Creation Club (who want's that anyway?) there might be a simple solution: Klick on "Addons" first, then go back to the main menu. Usually this "fixes" greyed out Creation Club and mods.

The CTDs might be caused by a damaged SSD - check that out. Also important is, what HeyYou wrote. Make sure, your game is correctly INSTALLED. Just copying the game folder around will get you in trouble.

There's another thing to consider: What mod manager are you using? Depending on your choyce of mod manager, there are further installation requirements: Vortex MUST be installed on the same drive as the game to function properly, for NMM I'd recommend to have at least the "virtual install " folder and the game on the same drive. And you must make sure the paths for NMM are set correctly. I'm not an expert on MO, but there might be similar restrictions. BTW, you can change your installation drive in your Steam library, too and "move" a game. So, before buying a new SSD, better check your installation first.