Yet another CTD post \o/

Epichamster

I'm having a random CTD and I just can't seem to pin down the cause.

Load order:

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 ApachiiHair.esm
7 7 Campfire.esm
8 8 ApachiiHairMales.esm
9 9 ApachiiHairFemales.esm
10 a SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
11 b Ducks and Swans.esp
12 c FNIS.esp
13 d Animations.esp
14 e beltfastenedquivers.esp
15 f RelightingSkyrim_SSE.esp
16 10 S3DTrees NextGenerationForests.esp
17 11 iNeed.esp
18 12 iNeed - Extended.esp
19 13 Player Size Adjuster.esp
20 14 VioLens SE.esp
21 15 KhajiitProwess.esp
22 16 Landscape Fixes For Grass Mods.esp
23 17 Dark_Eden_Forests.esp
24 18 Prometheus_No_snow_Under_the_roof.esp
25 19 ApachiiHairNPC-Females.esp
26 1a ApachiiHairNPC-Males.esp
27 1b Immersive Weapons.esp
28 1c USSEP-Immersive Weapons Patch.esp
29 1d Increased Enemy Spawns - 2x.esp
30 1e SoundsofSkyrimComplete.esp
31 1f TrueStormsSE.esp
32 20 S3DLandscapes NextGenerationForests.esp
33 21 Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
34 22 MOD - Simply Darker Interiors by Simtar123.esp
35 23 PrvtI_HeavyArmory.esp
36 24 ABT SE - Kevkas All-in-One.esp
37 25 IW_ABT_Patch.esp
38 26 JBMod.esp
39 27 BlendedRoads.esp
40 28 MajesticMountains.esp
41 29 MajesticMountains_Moss.esp
42 2a Darker Interior Ambient Fog.esp
43 2b Dr_Bandolier.esp
44 2c Realistic Haircolors.esp
45 2d Increased Enemy Bosses - 2x.esp
46 2e Blowing in the Wind SSE.esp
47 2f KatanaCrafting.esp
48 30 Real Bows SE.esp
49 31 Semi-Open Guard Helmets SE.esp
50 32 HarvestOverhaul_Redone_Creatures.esp
51 33 HarvestOverhaul_Redone.esp
52 34 Immersive Patrols II.esp
53 35 RegularVendors.esp
54 36 Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
55 37 Blacksmith Forge Water Fix SE USSEP.esp
56 38 Equippable Tomes.esp
57 39 Blowing in the Wind - SMIM Merged All Patch SSE.esp
58 3a Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim.esp
59 3b WeaponsOf3E_SSE.esp
60 3c Craftable Locpicks - 15.esp
61 3d WitchhunterPack.esp
62 3e Equippable Tomes - Campfire Add-On.esp
63 3f Aurora - Standing Stones of Skyrim.esp
64 40 Summermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp
65 41 1nivWICCloaks.esp
66 42 WetandCold.esp
67 43 RUSTIC SOULGEMS - Unsorted.esp
68 44 NoRadialBlur.esp
69 45 LeftHandRings.esp
70 46 MoonlightTalesMCM.esp
71 47 dD - Easy Lift Bodies and Objects.esp
72 48 XPMSE.esp
73 49 dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp
74 4a ImprovedCombatMusic.esp
75 4b Veydosebrom - Grasses and Groundcover.esp
76 4c SkyUI_SE.esp
77 4d Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
78 4e SimplyKnock.esp
79 4f Racial Diversity LITE.esp
80 50 CreatureSizeVariants.esp
81 51 [keelah] IMPROVED LORE RACE HEIGHTS.esp
82 52 LeftHandRings-1stPersonView.esp
83 53 RaceMenuPlugin.esp
84 54 RaceMenu.esp
85 55 DarkerNights.esp
86 56 CustomDifficultyUI.esp
87 57 Emote.esp
88 58 CC'sEnhancedOreVeinsSSE-HearthfirePatch.esp
89 59 Ecotone Dual Sheath.esp
90 5a Ecotone Dual Sheath Patch.esp
91 5b lighter pickaxes & woodcutter axes.esp
92 5c FreshlyPicked.esp
93 5d Feminine orcs.esp
94 5e dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
95 5f dD-No Screen Blood.esp
96 60 HOR_OrdinatorPatch.esp
97 61 Apocalypse - Ordinator Compatibility Patch.esp
98 62 20 More Perk Points.esp
99 63 Celtic_Music_In_Skyrim_SE.esp
100 64 Celtic_Music_In_Skyrim_SE_Dungeon.esp
101 65 Celtic Music in Skyrim - Combat.esp
102 66 DustEffectsSSE.esp
103 67 S3DRocks.esp
104 68 Predator Vision.esp
105 69 Moonlight Tales Special Edition.esp
106 6a Better Magic LightsPG.esp
107 6b Gamepad++.esp
108 6c SoS_TrueStorms_Patch.esp
109 6d Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
110 6e Landscape For Grass Mods -Immersive Citizens PATCH.esp
111 6f Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
112 70 ELE_SSE.esp
113 71 Landscape Fixes For Grass mods - Alternate start Locations.esp
114 72 SoS_ELE_Patch.esp
115 73 Immersive Citizens - ELE patch.esp
116 74 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
117 75 RealisticWaterTwo - iNeed.esp
118 76 RWT Lod Fix.esp
119 77 Smashed Patch.esp

So the odd thing is, I had these exact mods in this exact load order and I was running around with no issues. I've entered a cave (White River Watch) with some bandits and suddenly I'm getting constant CTD. At first I thought maybe there was too much going on because I was using 2x spawns, or that a bandit was doing something/equipping something that was causing the issue, but I've now managed to kill them all and the issue is still happening. I can't seem to pin down any particular trigger, even if I stand perfectly still I get a CTD after 2-3 minutes.

I'm wearing the same gear as before I entered the cave, it doesn't seem to be linked to any particular spell I'm using, it happens whether I'm moving or standing still, whether I have my weapons out or not. I just can't seem to find anything that would be triggering the CTD.

I've tried cleaning my save, I've checked my load order with LOOT, I've remade my smashed patch just to be sure everything is correct there. I've tried various suggestions I found via google with no success.

I thought the most likely candidate might be Gamepad ++ as it's an unported mod, but after disabling it the CTD still happens. I also tried opening it in CK and re-saving it to change the version number, didn't help. I guess it's still possible this could be the culprit but if it is I'd like to find a way to fix the issue rather than not using the mod, but like I said the issue contiued after I disabled it so idk.

The other recently added mods, in order are;

Skyrim 3D Landscapes

Predator vision

Moonlight tales SE Predator vision patch

Skyrim 3d trees and plants

Skyrim 3d rocks

However I was already using these mods before, they are just updated versions, and I said previously I didn't have a CTD when I was running around outside the cave.

I am b a m b o o z l e d.

Hi

For the type of CTDs you describe it could be an Ordinator issue.

Some Ordinator perks sometimes conflict other mods.

To test use the papyrus log. Google the last few scripts firings. If one is from Ordinator check to see if anther mod is firing a script that involves the same thing.

For example if Ordinator is firing an weapons script check to see if another mod is firing a one as well. Same with magic.

To fix Ordinator issues I use the Dragonborn DLC.

CTDs can get into a save. Before adding a mod, starting a DLC, quest and entering a "dungeon" do a named save.

I have had to go back twice because of CTDs with SE.

To test, use another character save or create a new character to see if the CTD is in your save or in your game.

As saves get older they become harder to maintain. At some point they will fall apart. Avoiding the DLCs can add 30 levels or more to a save before it falls apart.

Mods that add meshes were more of an issue in LE because they add up. This causes ram issues.

In SE make sure that your CPU is running a 25% 4 core or 17% 6 core. If it uses more it won't be able to react to an event causing a CTD. These CTDs are usually in combat. Not random.

Later.

I've created a new character to test if it was an issue with my saves and sure enough it seems that is the case.

Is there any way to recover a save? I tried using a resaver but that didn't seem to work. It wasn't even an old save, only a few hours of gameplay....

If I understand you correctly then sooner or later my saves will always become corrupt and unplayable no matter what I do? So basically there is no point playing the game with mods because all my progress will be lost? ~Sigh~

Maybe these will not help you but please try all of it.

The mod "Campfire" is know to have cause CTD at a certain point of the game. I suggest you don't use this mod for now and wait for the author to update his mod.

When i use RaceMenu i always get CTD when i try changing cell or when enemies spawn. Disabling this mod and see if this help. I recommend using ECE instead if you really want an advance character creation mod and wait for the author to officially port his mod. It will be a stable mod by then.

Since you have RaceMenu installed that mean you have SKEE.dll and SKEE.ini installed too correct? If so if you are using XPMSE, Which version are you using? Is it V4.1 or V4.3? If it is then uninstall it and use XPMSE V4.20 instead. The current version of XPMSE is unstable and will cause CTD.

If you really dont want to uninstall RaceMenu i suggest installing SEE Engine Fix. This mod will make RaceMenu work with XPMSE.

Please don't give up. I too have encounter CTD during my first time playing Skyrim SE with mods and i have almost gave up. All your effort will be worth it.

If I understand you correctly then sooner or later my saves will always become corrupt and unplayable no matter what I do? So basically there is no point playing the game with mods because all my progress will be lost? ~Sigh~

From my experience (and I've been playing Skyrim - with some breaks - since its release), this is not true. If you got a working load order with working mods, you can play almost endlessly. I managed to get through almost all the quests and finish all DLCs without any issues in a single playthrough.

If your game "falls apart" after some time, there's something wrong with your mods. Mods not programmed correctly, that cause save game bloat or other script issues. Unresolved mod conflicts, that become a problem over time. Changing mods mid game (which you shouldn't do - at least don't remove mods during a playthrough). Unfortunately, it is true that some issues may only show up in the long run, making it possible to loose a save game with many hours into the game. But the general rule is still true: If you mod your game in a sensible way and do some testing before embarking on a longer playthrough, playing with mods won't get you in trouble.

Updating mods in the middle of a game is also a bad idea. While you may have no problem doing so with some mods other mods may cause a corrupted game down the road. The problem is there is no real way to tell unless the mod author addresses this on his mod page. If you want to be safe just don't update mods in the middle of a game.

Maybe these will not help you but please try all of it.

The mod "Campfire" is know to have cause CTD at a certain point of the game. I suggest you don't use this mod for now and wait for the author to update his mod.

When i use RaceMenu i always get CTD when i try changing cell or when enemies spawn. Disabling this mod and see if this help. I recommend using ECE instead if you really want an advance character creation mod and wait for the author to officially port his mod. It will be a stable mod by then.

Since you have RaceMenu installed that mean you have SKEE.dll and SKEE.ini installed too correct? If so if you are using XPMSE, Which version are you using? Is it V4.1 or V4.3? If it is then uninstall it and use XPMSE V4.20 instead. The current version of XPMSE is unstable and will cause CTD.

If you really dont want to uninstall RaceMenu i suggest installing SEE Engine Fix. This mod will make RaceMenu work with XPMSE.

Please don't give up. I too have encounter CTD during my first time playing Skyrim SE with mods and i have almost gave up. All your effort will be worth it.

Damn I really like using campfire :c I've had campfire for a long time without issues, you're sure its a problem?

I tried using ECE but it always made my character look weird and the skeleteon was a weird shape. My characters arms always seemed too long even without me changing any settings =/ Thats why I changed to Racemenu, so I would prefer not to change back if possible.

I do have SKEE installed, and I already have the SSE engine fixes installed. I didn't have the most recent version though so I updated, maybe that will help.

I'm using xpmse 4.31, I will try uninstalling it and using 4.2 instead.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

I have a couple of hundred hours using campfire with no problems from it. And over 300 mods made possible my merging plugins. If I'm not mistaken campfires scripts are on demand only. Considering what it does I don't see how it is possible for it to cause a crash consistently at certain point in the game unless the crash is triggered by using campfire at that point. In that case you would just not use campfire at that point in the game.

Update:

So I reverted back to xpmse 4.2 and made a new character, the good news is so far I've had no CTD (only 2-3 hours into the game though), the bad news is that now the game has started freezing. I've never had any issue with the game freezing before, not once.

Think I'm going to just play a different game :D :D :D :D :D