What poses a greater threat to the gaming industry?

lengelb

Does DRM Work?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What is a greater threat to the gaming industry?

2. 2. Does DRM drive away customers?

Actually I remember Degrade's first test run on Operation Flashpoint (the first one) what it did was degrade game preformance and at times make the AI hyper accurate in a game with realistic bullet effects (drop, and wind drag). Effectively an AI with an AK-47 which normally can't hit anything outside 200 meters with it can now snipe targets at over a mile away. The issue the first gen had the Hyper Accurate AI would bleed into the game of legit owners this was later corrected in a later patch but for those that had the un patch game would sometimes get suddenly killed out of no were by an AI at the edge of draw distance with a weapon that couldn't reach that far.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in my last year of high school and a large part of one of our portfolios is a pretty big research project. My topic revolves around whether or not DRM works and if it does, in fact, drive customers to piracy. So, if you could answer, it would be much appreciated, since it would help me pass and all. Thanks :D

DRM, in the sense of things like SecuROM and the like are pretty passe now. The trend now is to "police from the cloud" as I like to call it. Hence, Valve (Steam) and now EA's Origin. They control the registration, the updates ... and even banishing a user completely (with no appeals process, but that's a whole other legalistic ball of wax ethical question). Pirates ... all wannabe hackers really ... will always be a nuisance, especially if they're being subsidized by a government (Chi*cough*na), but most game (or other software developers) allow for that in their pricing. Ultimately, we all pay for piracy -- directly or indirectly. That extends to other areas besides video games: banking, online commerce, you name it.

I'm in my last year of high school and a large part of one of our portfolios is a pretty big research project. My topic revolves around whether or not DRM works and if it does, in fact, drive customers to piracy. So, if you could answer, it would be much appreciated, since it would help me pass and all. Thanks :D

If per chance you find out how much it cost to have some popular DRM on a videogame (SecuROM, StarForce, Tages, etc), do please tell me how much cuz im curious about it.

• 1 month later...

i had a whole thing typed out but i accidentally hit "Add Reply" when trying to click the correct spelling of a word and i lost everything so im going to paraphrase this time.

1) i think you should change the question from "if we think Piracy/DRM drives away customers" to "if it drives us away" or at least add a separate question. there is no doubt in my mind such things drive away customers. but it doesnt drive me away personally.

2)Piracy has been around for a long time. and it hasnt hurt the gaming industry yet. what hurts the industry is the Publisher's paranoia about Piracy and god forbid lose a tiny but of money, taking their huge profit and making it into a still huge profit. oh no. i bet Publishers lose more money from being paranoid then they do through piracy. so its not the fact that they implement DRM that will destroy gaming. DRM in and of itself is just a nuisance. its the thought of what will they do next. DRM. stopping used game sales. banning people at will from complete use of their games, needed to sign up for their services just to play their games. not letting people play a single player game offline. its all of this and whatever they do next that will destroy it. its their version of Big Brother. its sad really. and that is what will kill it. it all depends on how Big Brother they wanna get ad that will determine the future of gaming. but stuff like this only hurts the big companies that can afford to do this. indie gaming companies dont do this, so youll find that it will be the indie gaming companies that thrive. while the big names slowly go down.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

IMO, corporate America is having considerable success with altering how people in general perceive piracy. Thus, making logical facts a lot less obvious.

There is nothing wrong with using common sense, along with a dictionary that defines stealing.If I willingly gave away my possessions (that I paid for) to someone, how could they be accused of stealing from me if they accepted the items? If I were to give my mp3s and CDs to my sister or my friends, would that make me a pirate?

In summary, there is a difference between claiming another person's work as your own (which is, in fact, stealing), and sharing your possessions with others. The push for anti-piracy laws is nothing more than a preposterous and unconstitutional attempt to abuse copyright laws.

If I willingly gave away my possessions (that I paid for) to someone, how could they be accused of stealing from me if they accepted the items? If I were to give my mp3s and CDs to my sister or my friends, would that make me a pirate?

You'd be giving away something physical, while digital can just be copied and distributed. You keep the items, and so does everyone else. Win-win situation for those who pirate, but an eventual loss to the authors of the items. In a weird analogy, if I gave my Steam account to someone else, that'd be fine, as I wouldn't have access to it.

If I willingly gave away my possessions (that I paid for) to someone, how could they be accused of stealing from me if they accepted the items? If I were to give my mp3s and CDs to my sister or my friends, would that make me a pirate?

You'd be giving away something physical, while digital can just be copied and distributed. You keep the items, and so does everyone else. Win-win situation for those who pirate, but an eventual loss to the authors of the items. In a weird analogy, if I gave my Steam account to someone else, that'd be fine, as I wouldn't have access to it.

There has and will always be loss within any industry, this is no different. With this "issue", industries are making nothing more than exaggerated claims. Very few people pirate, and some of those who do later purchase legitimate copies for themselves. Therefore, if anything, the industries who are "suffering losses" due to pirating are profiting from it to a certain degree instead.

Voted. DRM and Yes. I can't count how many games I've avoided in the past because of DRM.

IMO, a pirate will also be a a pirate, as in a pirate will always figure out a way around DRM to pilfer said game.

These corporations have no one to blame but themselves. Their own stupidity has clouded their judgement to the point that they have no respect for their customers and actively pursue in driving them away. I say shed all DRM and not make half-assed games that can only be complete (partially) through buying DLC. Nowadays, DLC is just content that should have been in the game from the start. The game companies need to give people a reason to buy their games and hopefully there will be less piracy.

Also, some companies need to just die a whimpering death, like EA and Activision. Seriously, the CoD cash cow needs to come to an end. Too many stupid people rewarding a stupid company by buying their stupid games. News on a new CoD game drowns out nearly all news on any other game I might be interested in.

Games should also not run $60-70 dollars when they are clearly worth half that.