Project Spotlight: Fallout New California

BigBizkit

In response to post #64092001.

ShojoDagger wrote: I think it looks cool (even though I haven't gotten around to installing & playing NV yet) but one thing I am wondering is: What about "dumb dialogue"? I mean the dialogue for low INT characters, that is.
In FO1&2 I liked the stupid character dialogue, it showed an attention to detail on the devs part, although far from "perfect" -- most of the options were just "Ur", "wubba gubba" & other nonsensical phrases. (the bit with Torr in FO2 was brilliant, however.)
I was quite disappointed in FO3, that there was no difference at all in dialogue for stupid characters, as after playing FO1&2 I expected there to be a continuation of that in FO3. The closest it came was basically that one robot in the school that thinks you are a "special needs child". And even that's only if you actually choose the one dialogue option. I mean really, if I have 1 INT I shouldn't be able to carry on the same level of conversation as an average INT character, or at least I should have difficulty doing so. (having speech checks for "normal" dialogue options seems an obvious way of doing that, Bethesda has no excuses for not having low INT options, except laziness)

I understand that NV does return "stupid" dialogue to the game, (and better, script-wise, than FO1&2, no more "ur wubba gubba" nonsense) but low INT still doesn't seem to make much difference, gameplay-wise, as it did in FO1&2.

Basically I just would like to know what to expect in that area: Did the modders follow the NV base game? Ignore low INT altogether (ala FO3)?
Or maybe, hopefully, they might've taken the "stupid path" up to 11?
i.e. have some different, unique ways to solve some quests, locked out of some quests, gain special "stupid" quests, better/unique interactions with other "stupid" characters (ala Torr), along with a few funny "stupid" dialogue scripts. *crosses fingers*

Again, just wondering what to expect.
Even if they went FO3 style for "non-stupid low INT" characterization, it isn't a deal breaker to me, I just want to prevent disappointment by having accurate expectations.

We have I think, 3 or 4 low INT options in the mod, and they're mostly jokes, or, to check if you are truly playing a character not smart enough to figure your way out of a simple problem. :p Which happens, especially in the Enclave plot where intelligence wasn't a prerequisite for membership. :p To hilarious effect from Bragg.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64069346.

Royalty27 wrote: Not long now. I'm anticipating this mod more than any AAA or independent game. Somehow mod makers know how to make there mods better than the developers of the original game.

I really proud you're looking frward to us more than a AAA or Indie, we did a great job putting this together and the effort really shows in the final product. The effort from everybody was justified. I just got back from playtesting and recording the last dialogue and I think I'm finally satisfied.

We definitely can't outpace the AAA budget devs tho. :p That's subjective, sure, but that's up to you guys to decide, and I'm not sure it's accurate to say modders do it better, so much as, modders do it differently. :) If it's better or not, that's up to you. We just have a different sense of what is important.

In response to post #64069346. #64118481 is also a reply to the same post.

Royalty27 wrote: Not long now. I'm anticipating this mod more than any AAA or independent game. Somehow mod makers know how to make there mods better than the developers of the original game.
Thaiauxn wrote: I really proud you're looking frward to us more than a AAA or Indie, we did a great job putting this together and the effort really shows in the final product. The effort from everybody was justified. I just got back from playtesting and recording the last dialogue and I think I'm finally satisfied.

We definitely can't outpace the AAA budget devs tho. :p That's subjective, sure, but that's up to you guys to decide, and I'm not sure it's accurate to say modders do it better, so much as, modders do it differently. :) If it's better or not, that's up to you. We just have a different sense of what is important.

Fallout New California is a godsend after learning that we'd be getting Fallout Fortnite Survival Evolved 76: Macrotransaction edition instead of a New Vegas-esque spinoff... Edited by Planescaped

In response to post #63486236.

ikuroami wrote: "There is no feeling worse in the world than working so hard on something you love that doesn’t pay you."
If you really love doing something, even if it's difficult sometimes, it doesn't have to get you paid, it's just nice if it does.
I really hope that was just bad wording on your part because that's a pretty miserable and glassy outlook.

People need to eat. We need shelter. For these things, it takes money. Doing things without monetary incentive jeopardizes these basic requirements for living. If you've never been homeless before, then you can't understand how painful just trying to find basic amenities is. His viewpoint isn't miserable; it's realistic.

The world would be great if we could all do whatever we want, money be damned. But that's not the world we live in.

I remember first picking up Project: Brazil years ago on a whim. It looked like a neat little mod with great aspirations for the future, and I would come to check the mod page and the author's progress every week, if not every day. I grew pretty attached to the characters and I was extremely excited to continue on into the second chapter. Reading this makes me incredibly happy and satisfied that I and many others will finally be able to sink our teeth into it.

Thank you for your hard work and perseverance, Thaiauxn. Extremely grateful for the upcoming opportunity, and congratulations on this long-awaited success.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. Noahth3grey here. I played your mod when it was still called Project Brazil and i was fascinated by the fact that it looked like an actual fallout game from the immersion, the gameplay, the dlc sized experience, it's so good. I cannot wait to play this mod for myself again when the full version comes out.