⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Project Spotlight: Fallout New California

BigBizkit

In response to post #63335506. #63336471, #63338151, #63357031 are all replies on the same post.

maximizers wrote: Not going to lie, the fifteen year plan kinda made me cringe. >_>
PraetorianMakarov wrote: Its good to have plans. They're not necessarily going to turn out the way they could, but its good to have them in place.
CaedesAposis wrote: That plan is gonna be what sinks them. Bethesda is going to claim that they are attempting to monetize New California by using their unofficial Fallout work to hype funding for w/e next project they touch... shame.
Thaiauxn wrote: Ppbbtt. No.

And the plan is a very generic ideal, not a literal "this is what I will do and how I will do it." Even in the words under the image it's obvious I'm thinking 15-20 years for all these, and the costs will have to adjust for what comes up, not what I wish they could be. But without an aspiration and a general plan, nothing, absolutely nothing, ever gets done.

'I'm making a mod that hasn't released yet. It's hyped to no end but I don't know if it's be recieved positively yet.'
'All the same, I already plan to make another six games after this and turn my one free mod into a multi-million dollar company.'

I mean, C'mon... >_<

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There is no feeling worse in the world than working so hard on something you love that doesn’t pay you."

If you really love doing something, even if it's difficult sometimes, it doesn't have to get you paid, it's just nice if it does.

I really hope that was just bad wording on your part because that's a pretty miserable and glassy outlook.

In response to post #63405661. #63429691, #63429786 are all replies on the same post.

GraeWooff wrote: Sounds like this is gonna be super-legit! Huge fan of Fallout 3 & New Vegas. Great 3rd person gameplay!

Fallout 4... not so much, because they completely BROKE 3rd person game mechanics. It's all out of whack. Not to mention the horrible waste of time that is "settlement building". And then Beth announced "76". My ears perked up, I mean they named it after the year I was born!... until I saw the trailer, and then it was announced to be multiplayer. Really Bethesda? Just one intentional foul-up after another. Not the direction your real fans want to go, I can assure you.

Hopefully New California will just be more of the good (FO3 / FNV type) stuff, and none of the new fluff crap.

Thank you Thaiauxn and your team for all y'all's hard work. I'm sure it will pay off (pardon the pun) in the end. Heck, I may even contribute financially to this project if I like it even slightly more than Fallout 4. The thing is... from what you've stated so far, I'm positive that I will like it MUCH more than Fallout 4.

Cheers!
MiisterA wrote: Is it snowing? Oww no, it's actually salt, salt everywhere :o
MiisterA wrote:

Did you actually try to get to know about the specifics of Fallout 76 before judging it?
Or maybe you're just like all those other folks that always expect something negative when it's different.
Just go watch the Quakecon, or the NoClip documentary about the conception of the game and get your facts right before thinking "yeah this is Fortnite battle royale Fallout edition".

In response to post #63335506. #63336471, #63338151, #63357031, #63473256 are all replies on the same post.

maximizers wrote: Not going to lie, the fifteen year plan kinda made me cringe. >_>
PraetorianMakarov wrote: Its good to have plans. They're not necessarily going to turn out the way they could, but its good to have them in place.
CaedesAposis wrote: That plan is gonna be what sinks them. Bethesda is going to claim that they are attempting to monetize New California by using their unofficial Fallout work to hype funding for w/e next project they touch... shame.
Thaiauxn wrote: Ppbbtt. No.

And the plan is a very generic ideal, not a literal "this is what I will do and how I will do it." Even in the words under the image it's obvious I'm thinking 15-20 years for all these, and the costs will have to adjust for what comes up, not what I wish they could be. But without an aspiration and a general plan, nothing, absolutely nothing, ever gets done.
maximizers wrote: 'I'm making a mod that hasn't released yet. It's hyped to no end but I don't know if it's be recieved positively yet.'
'All the same, I already plan to make another six games after this and turn my one free mod into a multi-million dollar company.'

I mean, C'mon... >_<

talks about cringe, but uses emoji/emoticon/whatever you name it.

In response to post #63361216.

fullveganalchemist wrote: This has not a whole lot to do with the article specifically but the excitement for this kind of thing. This is a sheer example of community drive software development. "Support your community of indie developers and modders. The era of publishers is dead. You are the producers now. Pay for things you want to exist. Don’t pay for things you want to abort. Accept the risks and responsibilities therein. Simple as that. Welcome to the 21st Century." Seems like a sentiment of supporting free as in freedom software (which can cost monetarily to support the dev). So it would seem that people in support of this kind of mentality would be in favor of GNU/Linux operating systems but it isn't the case so far. With Valve's new Proton - Play on Linux support hopefully more people will make the switch. It's been said by many people that the only reason they still put up with Windows is for gaming. But that time is over, I truly believe it's the year of GNU/Linux. "Simple as that. Welcome to the 21st Century."

Abolishing internet software ownership laws won't happen in theory, but it just might in practice. Think about it, people are(usually unjustly) starting to hate corporations and "Big Tech" companies, eventually people will start replacing these programs with freeware. I mean, why photoshop when you can gimp? Why FO4 when you can create a new game with that engine, etc. It's happening on a microscale with people replacing stuff, as previously mentioned, why won't it happen on a macro scale? I don't care to fact check this, but isn't android open source? That's a huge example of widely used software on the market actually being free to use!

• 2 weeks later...

I think it looks cool (even though I haven't gotten around to installing & playing NV yet) but one thing I am wondering is: What about "dumb dialogue"? I mean the dialogue for low INT characters, that is.

In FO1&2 I liked the stupid character dialogue, it showed an attention to detail on the devs part, although far from "perfect" -- most of the options were just "Ur", "wubba gubba" & other nonsensical phrases. (the bit with Torr in FO2 was brilliant, however.)

I was quite disappointed in FO3, that there was no difference at all in dialogue for stupid characters, as after playing FO1&2 I expected there to be a continuation of that in FO3. The closest it came was basically that one robot in the school that thinks you are a "special needs child". And even that's only if you actually choose the one dialogue option. I mean really, if I have 1 INT I shouldn't be able to carry on the same level of conversation as an average INT character, or at least I should have difficulty doing so. (having speech checks for "normal" dialogue options seems an obvious way of doing that, Bethesda has no excuses for not having low INT options, except laziness)

I understand that NV does return "stupid" dialogue to the game, (and better, script-wise, than FO1&2, no more "ur wubba gubba" nonsense) but low INT still doesn't seem to make much difference, gameplay-wise, as it did in FO1&2.

Basically I just would like to know what to expect in that area: Did the modders follow the NV base game? Ignore low INT altogether (ala FO3)?

Or maybe, hopefully, they might've taken the "stupid path" up to 11?

i.e. have some different, unique ways to solve some quests, locked out of some quests, gain special "stupid" quests, better/unique interactions with other "stupid" characters (ala Torr), along with a few funny "stupid" dialogue scripts. *crosses fingers*

Again, just wondering what to expect.

Even if they went FO3 style for "non-stupid low INT" characterization, it isn't a deal breaker to me, I just want to prevent disappointment by having accurate expectations.

Edited by ShojoDagger