Mounted Combat arrives in Skyrim's 1.6

hector530

I'm ecstatic at having a less buggy form of mounted combat being in an Elder Scrolls game (compared to other attempts, Beth's version handles like a dream) but the controls are quite bad. No indication of where your supposed to be aiming to hit x target nor when you should be swinging combined with bad horse controls makes for blech.

I'll wait for either Beth to clean it up or modders to do so before I make great use of it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a mod that marks your horse on the map? I hate riding around on a horse, switching to walking around on foot, and then losing your horse and not knowing where your horse is.

You know you really should try the "Search" function of the Nexus ... You'd be amazed what you can find ...

Try this ...

and this, or this... or this

All I did was type 'horse' into the search field ... Just sayin'.

BTT: From personal experience and reading a LOT of forums about the 1.6 beta, It seems a lot of folks are having issues with any skeleton (hkx?) mods, mesh mods and quite a few scripting/behavior mods, so a clean install looks like a necessity for the beta at least. (totally virginal, vanilla install for me) Common problem (me included) seems also to be slow/no go at Helgen, either CTD's or very poor NPC recognition of the character, so progression can seem be slow or stopped ("WAKE UP !!!" I'm Standing right in front of you FFS!) Just move 1inch to the left or right and voila. It only seems to happen 1 or twice and then goes away, can also say it "seems" to make the game a little smoother and less "hiccuppy" ... most are reporting a FIX OR MAJOR LESSENING OF THE NAVMESH BUG !!!!!!!! Can't say for sure as I've never really paid that much attention to it TBH

Horse combat can be a little tricky:

Right handed only animations so a LEFT click (unless you remapped keys) will hit low and to the right of the horse, RIGHT click will use the same (right hand or 2 handed weapon in one hand) for a 'back swing' low on the left side of the horse.

All blows are aimed low, perhaps because it would have been to hard to implement one animation for large enemies (Dragons, Mammoths, Giants) another one for humanoid or human height enemies (trolls, werewolves, standing bears) a third animation for canine, feline, vulpine, arachnid and chitinous enemies and a forth for hose damn tale telling chickens and bloody nuisance rabbits.

Archery seems to have a "hit cone" or "hit arc" regardless of cursor position ... Although you can turn virtually +90 or -90 degrees from 0 degrees or dead ahead and shoot, the arrow will almost never hit at these extreme angles, however the closer you get to 0 degrees (just either side of the horses head the arrow will normally hit right on the cursor, maybe BS (or more likely a talented modder) could come up with a cursor colour change or a different cursor altogether that show whether or not the enemy is in the 'hit zone' or not or maybe a fading red 'cone' emanating from the player that dulls or brightens depending on you chances of a hit

Is there a mod that marks your horse on the map? I hate riding around on a horse, switching to walking around on foot, and then losing your horse and not knowing where your horse is.

You know you really should try the "Search" function of the Nexus ... You'd be amazed what you can find ...

Try this ...

and this, or this... or this

All I did was type 'horse' into the search field ... Just sayin'.

I search through files on Nexus. Sometimes I don't feel like sifting through many mods. I searched horse and found 97 files. I could have read through many mods, or ask the question in a thread to see if anyone knew of a mod that marks your horse on the map. I can ask a question, go on to other things, and then if no one answers the question, I can look through the files.

If they add spears or lances we could have jousting.

Also someone needs to enable casting from horseback.

somebody released a mounted casting mod yesterday. It maps to the B and V keys, which messes with some mappings and doesn't work for controllers users.

If they add spears or lances we could have jousting.

Also someone needs to enable casting from horseback.

somebody released a mounted casting mod yesterday. It maps to the B and V keys, which messes with some mappings and doesn't work for controllers users.

And as I understand it, it also requires SKSE and that doesn't recognize mouse clicks which is the reason for the hotkeys ... But it's a start, and if an amateur modder can do it, then Bethesda surely should be able to implement it ... IF they want to bother that is ...

Is anyone else getting an odd magical wooshing every second after mounting their horse? It's the only thing putting me off, but I suspect it might just be me since no-one else seems to have mentioned it and in the videos I've seen don't seem to suffer from it...

Any input would be appriciated...

And it being a little more refined woulden't be a bad thing, very hard not to hit your dog when it's engageing the fellow you're trying to thwack.. :unsure: