Nokia 3310 charger and Li-Ion batteries

Werne

Ok, I have an old Nokia 3310 I've been using since I bought it (that was quite a long time ago) but last week I realised it's time to buy a new battery. After charging it works for 24 hours and dies so I need to charge it again. I've found a battery for it on ebay for 4$ but there is a problem. It's a Li-Ion battery and everyone who ever had 3310 knows that originally it has a Ni-MH battery.

I've learned basics of this at school but since I was learning to become an engineer that works with high voltages I didn't pay much attention to this. What bothers me is that I don't know can a Li-Ion battery be charged with a charger made to work with Ni-MH batteries or do I need to buy a new charger too? I know that Li-Ion batteries can become unstabile, even explode or catch fire if charged improperly and I don't want to risk something like that.

If the Li-Ion battery you found on there is the same rating as the original battery, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm not too sure on the chargers though, I believe it would be the same as long as the rating is the same. Don't take my word on it though :P

@Illiad86 The rating (mAh) is only capacity, voltage is standard for most cellphone batteries (3.6V/3.7V). If it's the same type of battery (Ni-MH) the rating is irrelevant but if the battery type is different, will the charger charge it improperly? That's the problem.

@jim_uk Yeah, that's what I was thinking about when I said I'm not sure. But right now I'm even more confused.

This morning I went to see the guy that repairs cellphones to ask him if he has a Li-Ion charger I could get cheap. After I explained him what do I need it for, he started laughing. He said that Nokia 3310 charger works on Li-Ion batteries because 3410 originally has a Li-Ion battery and it uses the same charger model like 3310. Now I don't get it at all http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/facepalm.gif

@Illiad86 The rating (mAh) is only capacity, voltage is standard for most cellphone batteries (3.6V/3.7V). If it's the same type of battery (Ni-MH) the rating is irrelevant but if the battery type is different, will the charger charge it improperly? That's the problem.

@jim_uk Yeah, that's what I was thinking about when I said I'm not sure. But right now I'm even more confused.

This morning I went to see the guy that repairs cellphones to ask him if he has a Li-Ion charger I could get cheap. After I explained him what do I need it for, he started laughing. He said that Nokia 3310 charger works on Li-Ion batteries because 3410 originally has a Li-Ion battery and it uses the same charger model like 3310. Now I don't get it at all http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/facepalm.gif

It might be worth contacting Nokia, if anyone will know it's them.

I had a nokia N72 for a few years and it has Li-Ion battery. The charger broke so I took my 3310 charger and used it with my N72. Never had any problems with it.