ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

More terrain LOD woes! I need advice again.

Hi.

I've generated object LOD for my little world using SSElodgen and it looks fine.

lodgen doesn't generate terrain and water LOD, though. I also had a problem finding the necessary 2D tree billboards for vanilla trees, so I haven't got tree LOD. Oddly enough the trees look fine in game, so maybe I don't need to add to the size of my esp by adding them. If anyone knows how to get this data though, it would be appreciated.

My main problem is that I can't for the life of me work out how to use either CK or Oscape for terrain and landscape textures. My world is pretty small (around 90 cells edited) so CK may be good enough for it. I only really have an issue with how far out to sea the player can view ocean and from the place the player arrives on the island, some of the landscape and textures in front of the hilltop fort are not visible.

Can anyone tell me if CK is good enough for this and where it puts its files? I don't want to generate it and have the files stuck somewhere I can't find them. I'd like it all put into my own meshes and textures folder for the mod in 'data'.

If I really should use oscape, it seems to be for Oldrim. How is it adapted to SSE and what the heck do I have to do with it to get it to work? I haven't found any decent tutorials on it so any help would be appreciated again.

Forgive me for sounding thick but its all a bit mind-boggling and I don't want to screw up my lovely island!

There's no rush for an answer. I've 3 internal cells in the fort to create in the meanwhile.

Don't use the CK for generating LOD its unreliable and outdated. For generating object (.BTO) lod and tree (.BTT) lod use SSElodGen, for generating terrain lod Oscape used to be the go-to tool but it hasn't been updated for a long time and its 32bit only. There is a new version of xLodGen for generating terrain LOD its still in beta and the official support forum is on S.T.E.P.S under Dyndolod section. Sheson will answer questions there if you run into problems (please read the instructions/manual first)

http://forum.step-project.com/topic/13451-xlodgen-terrain-lod-beta-for-fnv-fo3-fo4-fo4vr-tes5-sse-tes5vr/

n.b. for billboards use the vanilla tree billboards that are available under TES5LodGen (they work just the same in SSE) or Indistinguishable Billboards for Skyrim SE

you can also generate your own billboards from your existing tree atlas (tamrieltreelod.dds file) with SSELodGen hold down Shift key while double clicking SSElodgen.exe to start it. In the bottom right corner will be a hidden button available "Split LOD atlas" will generate billboards from a tree atlas in a BSA in your load order or loose files if existing (loose has priority)

Edited by soupdragon1234

Thanks a lot for that, soupdragon1234.

I'll read through the xlodgen stuff and give it a whirl. I may not do anything about the trees since they're minimally affected due to some mountain ridges block the view of most of them until the player is close enough for them to render properly. it would be nice to have all of this in SSElodgen, rather than having to use two or more programs to do it. It did a good job of the objects though.