Turn based Strategy

Shadowcran

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I don't like the idea of a turn-based strategy game. It's far more realistic (and enjoyable IMO) to play an RTS instead. I had tried Rome total war once and probably because of that fact, I really didn't care for the game. I'll stick with the AoE series.

Eh, I don't like the idea of a turn-based strategy game. It's far more realistic (and enjoyable IMO) to play an RTS instead. I had tried Rome total war once and probably because of that fact, I really didn't care for the game. I'll stick with the AoE series.

RTS should be renamed to RTT (real time tactic) :)

look, strategies in RTS are simple, almost aways they become into finding the quicker building order and amassing the max unities in less time... going aggressive scouting so to find more resources for more unities and preventing the adversary doing the same...

If you go micro management the tactical factor is more prominent yet... So indeed the preference for RTS is about preference for tactics, what is not a bad thing in itself, just a different thing.

Good TBS games force long term plans, careful planning of an impressive amount of resources (as opposed one or two miraculous materials). They may be tactical resources, as copper, iron, coal, oil and etc ... luxuries like tasteful food, jewelry, commodities in general, or strategical resources like roads. Keeping your own citizens happy is a problem you should not ignore...

Establishing commerce, diplomacy and alliances is not to be neglected... Eventually you may be involved in some pushes and pulls about frontier (mainly when the coveted resource is just there almost in your door). A culturally evolved nation will drive admiration feelings in it's neighbors and maybe a defection...

As you see, both styles are soooo completely different a simple comparison can't be objectively done and falls into the personal taste field.

Finally, in the "really" good TBS games you can cause uneasiness among your rivals and with good background management led them to waste time and resources in minor battles or even open war while you harvest the fruits with tranquility :devil:

TBS games aren't meant (designed) to be played in a few minutes sessions, another thing that influences preferences...

One of my all time favourite TBS was Master of Magic. It was one of the first Turned based games I ever played, which led me to such classics as Colonization and of course the original Civilization.

midniteinc

Although Master of Magic is something like Magic, the Gathering, it indeed worked well as a TBS. I did like using Ariel, white magic may be deceptive (well, blue is the real deceptive, but...)... and her avatar kickass :)

As I commented in another thread, a TBS I wish I could rediscover (among the lost and no found games I have) it's CD (hoping it would work in the new machines) was Total Annihilation... a very interesting TBS unlike any other in it's time, and maybe even now.

Edit: correcting myself ... TA is a RTS, sorry, off topic

Master of Magic was indeed a great game. Very flawed but infinitely replayable over and over again. I was able to download it from some free game site and play it within one of the DOS BOX emulators.

Oh I just loved the replayability, the world struck me as pretty amazing as well, the bestiary just got me, wish there was a oblivion overhaul which would have a similar world.

What pissed me of worst is the buffer overflow when you make more than

255 gold/turn.

I think that nothing beats real-time first-person combat. This was one of the first details that attracted me to Morrowind and then Oblivion. Turn-based combat for me gets redundant and therefore boring rather quickly. In games like Oblivion no two battles are ever the same so the game is never really dead, especially if you love hack-&-slash.

• 4 months later...
I like TBS. My favorites are games from the Civilization and Age of Wonders II. I also liked the Ogre Battle game the created for the Nintendo 64, but that was the only game of the series that I played.

My favourite TBS is probably AOW II only recently managed to get hold of Shadow Magic though, nice to see the descriptions like the first one are back.

Also quite like the Civ games and MOO3.

• 2 weeks later...
The X-COM games (the strategy ones), as far as I'm concerned, are the best games ever made.

I still have my old X-com PSone disk in my psone lol

Theres this one game out for Xbox360, a TBS called Operation Darkness that is very fun 2 play. I play the demo for hours I cant find the game anywhere :(