equipable ears for wig mods

diosoth

I want to use a simple wig mod for my character, problem is the ears vanish. That can be remedied by amulet or tail slot ears... but I find they only seem to want to fit right if your head is at the default width. Fall Hair Wig Shop, Apachii Goddess Store and Apachii Wigs all have ears, and they all have visible gaps on the side. Is this something that just can't be helped? Am I missing a mod with better ears? I'm not talking about extensive race or beauty mods that alter races and attributes, I'm talking wigs and ears that can be equipped.

Wigs are like helmets, so they occupy the 'hair' slot, which in turn hides the ears.

There are only few slots in Oblivion which can make use of 'morphs', that is the EGM and/or TRI files for the FaceGen shape- and/or expression morphs. This is what makes ears and hairs "conformulate" to head meshes.

The only "equipment" slots I'm aware of supporting this are the ones for helmets ('head' and 'hair'). The 'amulet' slot doesn't work here.

I think to remember helmets could be conformulated to your head mesh just like hairs, but a morph-controlled NIF has to be "one piece", that is only containing a single NiTriShape/Strips block, and fulfilling soem other requirements, but those mainly depend on the morphs themselves. (For example, heads in NifSkope are floating at head level, but only because they have a special "non-applied" translation property to do so. Undoing this will make them center at the origin and maybe also rotated weirdly. Their morph offsets are stored relative to this pose. If you 'apply' the transformation, morphs will go wonky.)

So if those wigs include the ears, they "could" in theory be conformulated so the ears no longer float inches away from the head, but then again I've seen actual hairstyles floating inches away from the head themselves already, so it can't be that easy to make them conformulate right. However, using Scanti's conformulator (great for creating the EGM and TRI files for this) and a modeling app one could try until the perfect fit is achieved. ...but first things first... do the wigs themselves even conformulate to your head shape to begin with? If not even they do, then the ears simply don't because it wasn't even tried... and because they're a second mesh in the NIF, of course.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

I know might be a non solution. But why not go console command and just change the hair in showracemenu. Unless the hair doesn't exist for your race.