Dawnguard Trailer

scottmack

I don't see why the trailer would 'impress' PC Skyrim players, at best im expecting the expansion/DLC to add new enemies/follower minions like seen in the gamer jam, a few new ruined buildings, fauna and flora, quests and gameplay features from the crossbow etc.

The Nexus holds loads more potential to some DLC which is probably going to be marketed towards the consoles so that players can get 'more cooler armour and stuff' rather then PC gamers who already have this and want a lot more for their £13.00/$20.00 such as the abilty to explore Cyrodill or something which hasnt been seen before. The trailer looks biased towards evil based characters as well, which means you would need to start a new save just for the DLC which isnt very logical because it just shows how restrictive the content is..

The trailer also seems to be overly cinematic to make it seem more exciting and doesn't explain what the DLC will contain and it includes mounted combat as a 'feature' even though its being released in patch 1.6! & i raged at MicroShaft's cheek to put in a lame kinect ad in at the end, im happy enough shouting aloud i don't need hardware to do it.. -_-

ummm..YEP! Modders Rule. Period.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the 3 Gates leading out of Skyrim could mean 3 DLC's

Theres a 12 Minute Trailer where Gamespot is Analyzing the Trailer and it seems when you are a Vampire, you can Shout aswell, so Paarthurnax could still be Alive if we get New Shouts.

What if Bethesda tested us in Choosing to Murder Paarthurnax so when Dawnguard comes, theres an Extra Line where we tell Esbern and Delphine off, maybe they will have a bigger part in the DLC.

Edited by daventry

The trailer looks biased towards evil based characters as well, which means you would need to start a new save just for the DLC which isnt very logical because it just shows how restrictive the content is..

The trailer also seems to be overly cinematic to make it seem more exciting and doesn't explain what the DLC will contain and it includes mounted combat as a 'feature' even though its being released in patch 1.6! & i raged at MicroShaft's cheek to put in a lame kinect ad in at the end, im happy enough shouting aloud i don't need hardware to do it.. -_-

Eh, if you restrict yourself to just one character you're missing out anyway. I keep a host of characters that vary on their alignments, stories, and what not. And not for DLC either, but for getting the full experience of the game from multiple angles.

And I think that showing mounted combat was more for the console player's benefit. I would bet that theres still a majority of them who aren't even aware of mounted combat in 1.6, which they haven't even received yet.

Well, I have been prepared to dismiss the DLC, but I am sheepishly admitting that they have now piqued my interest.

3 reasons:

1) Crossbows. I don't enjoy the regular bows, but I can't help being attracted to the Crossbows.

2) Gargoyles.

3) Diving dragons. Probably not happening, but an underwater dragon fight...too awesome.

What didn't impress me was the armor--the Dawn guard armor looks like the noble clothes with steel shoulder pads. I was hoping for a little more creativity in weapons and armor.

Also, vampires don't thrill me, as it appears they do 80 percent of the population. But that's me. And I don't mind killing them, so no big deal.

Sooo, note to Xbox...whatever you paid for Bethesda for that first release thing....wasted money if you are hoping to lure PC players like me to Xbox. Skyrim without mods is like a cup without coffee in it. It might look pretty, but all the joy is missing.

A few random thoughts:

Location of the vampire castle: If it is a north-coastal location or island in the Sea of Ghosts, is it possible that we will get at least part of Morrowind? The road past Refugee's Rest leads to Dunmeth Pass and Blacklight, on the north coast of Morrowind. Sounds like a great location for vampires to build a hangout without interference, since the area may be about depopulated because of the eruption. Such a map expansion might even include access to nearby Solstheim, or part of it, especially if the Falmer are involved in the add-on. (I've also heard rumors that Cliff Racers will be in the expansion. If true, it sounds like further confirmation of a trip to Morrowind.)

Falmer involvement: It occurs to me that the Falmer, being blind, might welcome the dimming of the sun. Such conditions would be perfect for a Falmer invasion, giving them an advantage over foes that rely on sight, and there are plenty of hints in the base game that they have been working up to such an invasion. They might even have allied themselves with the vamps and be actively working to support the plan. There seems to be plenty of excuse to bring the Falmer into the Dawnguard story line, tying up another loose end from Skyrim.

Daedric involvement: Would Meridia, with her hatred of necromancy and the undead, have reason to get involved with this story? What about Molag Bal, who, if I understand correctly, is responsible for creating the first vampire? How about the other Daedric Princes? Would any of the others have a stake in such a fight? Azura, perhaps, since she might not approve of permanent night replacing dusk and dawn.

Involvement of characters and factions from regular Skyrim: I can't see how the expansion could involve Blades, Graybeards, Empire, or Stormcloaks without creating possible conflicts with player choices during the main game. Each of these factions might be given some new dialog acknowledging the crisis, but that's about it. I don't see any reason, however, why the Companions couldn't have some related quests in the expansion. Likewise there doesn't seem to be any bar to College of Winterhold involvement. As I've said elsewhere, I'm convinced Falion needs a piece of the action. Sybille Stentor could get involved, given the hints that she is a vampire. (But which side would she be on?) Anyone else?

If Falmer will indeed feature prominently in this DLC, perhaps we shall learn more about the events that lead to them becoming well... Falmer as we know them? (On a side note, the Falmer design always made me think someone in Bethesda just watched a bit too much of "Descent".

I could hardly be happier than for the general theme of this DLC, as it proves once again that Bethesda is trying to repent for the infamous Horse Armor. While we're at the movies, some of the ideas in this mod are a bit reminiscent of the "Van Helsing" movie, but that's probably just a matter of lore being similar in both. That said, I would enjoy if vampires would be able to phase through ice as a power.

Like others, I think the MQ decisions will be left alone as far as it is possible. It would be far from fair if, for example, you could get Blades assistance as Dawnguard. If you could succeed at bringing about eternal night, then the devs would be entitled to massive amounts of Kudos. But it would be far from surprising if it was either:

• 'Just a vision' scenario, or
  • 'You have outlived your usefulness' scenario, resulting in you saving the day (ugh, sorry)

But I have faith in writers, so hopefully no.

It looks great, but the moding is the future of video games, and microsoft is just trying to stave off the inevitable demise of the Xbox, buy paying bethesda to release it to them first.

It seems to me that the Daedric Princes are always trying to get involved in Tamreil, and further involvement is always a good thing.

Anyone know how many Elder Scrolls there are? If the dragonborn ends up with two of them, not to mention being dragonborn, I would assume that you are approaching godlike power, so whoever you are going up against is going to have to be somewhere on that level.

It looks great, but the moding is the future of video games, and microsoft is just trying to stave off the inevitable demise of the Xbox, buy paying bethesda to release it to them first.

It seems to me that the Daedric Princes are always trying to get involved in Tamreil, and further involvement is always a good thing.

Anyone know how many Elder Scrolls there are? If the dragonborn ends up with two of them, not to mention being dragonborn, I would assume that you are approaching godlike power, so whoever you are going up against is going to have to be somewhere on that level.

The number of elder Scrolls is uncountable.

Doubting the flying animation.

Looks like you'll hover 1 inch above the ground and I don't doubt the legs will disappear into the ground when 'flying' uphill.

Apart from that, it looks somewhat promising.