What do you think...

You guys have any thoughts on this laptop?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+15.6%22+Satellite+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Platinum/4693106.p?id=1218509073324&skuId=4693106&st=4693106&cp=1&lp=1

They dropped the price from $730. It was still a good deal at that price as near as I could tell. Will it run Skyrim decently?

It's got about half the memory of my desktop and the graphics card is probably not as good (not an expert on graphics cards), but the chip is an i7, can't go wrong there really.

I kinda woulda liked a terrabyte too, but 750 ain't bad.

I've got in the car to go buy it twice now and talked myself out of it on the way.

What do you guys think?

I've been itching to upgrade my laptop for a while, I just hate dumping money on myself.

It has NO graphics card. Only what's built into the CPU.

On every single laptop I've seen and heard of and most or all I haven't the bottleneck is always the graphics chip, never the CPU. This thing isn't for games.

It has NO graphics card. Only what's built into the CPU.

On every single laptop I've seen and heard of and most or all I haven't the bottleneck is always the graphics chip, never the CPU. This thing isn't for games.

Semantics. Onboard video then. Ok?

I didn't ask if it was going to be a hardcore gaming machine. I asked if it would run skyrim ok. I have a desktop machine for gaming.

I did ask for thoughts, so apparently a laptop isn't good for you unless it runs games? I don't know.

Edited by Stemin

It has Intel HD graphics, too bad they don't say what type it is. Skyrim can run on some of them supposedly. Best Buy should really do better with their descriptions...

Other than that, it's a pretty decent laptop for the price.

Edited by Illiad86

Well, you did ask if it will run Skyrim decently. And I said that this thing isn't for games. Not the biggest fan of Skyrim here, but even so it's still a game.

How will it run?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Benchmarks.66057.0.html

Look for HD3000, that's the onboard video you're getting with it.

As for thoughts? If you didn't ask about games, I'd say it's bulky and heavy. My thoughts are that unless you need it for games, the best laptops are ultra-mobiles, "ultrabooks" and pre-ultrabook CULV units like Asus UL and UX series. Fewer pounds to carry and more battery life to boot, no critical loss of performance, and the price premium for CULV ultra-mobiles is pretty small too.

If you are asking whether this will run skyrim the answer is yes. At 30 fps? No. On lowest settings? Yes, and only lowest.

Since the integrated graphics isn't specified either I would have to take the above with a grain of salt. There is no guarantee the laptop will be able to render skyrim at all.

Furthermore even if you aren't a "hardcore" gamer, playing any games on any type of laptop even a so called "gaming laptop" is silly. They overheat for one, cannot be upgraded for another, and your battery will last about thirty minutes playing even the simplest 3d games.

I really have to recommend you either buy a console or a desktop if you want to play a few games on your PC. Theres just too many downsides to playing any type of 3d games on any type of laptop even if you are the most casual player. You will be killing your laptop and cutting the lifetime of all its components in half...

If you are asking whether this will run skyrim the answer is yes. At 30 fps? No. On lowest settings? Yes, and only lowest.

Since the integrated graphics isn't specified either I would have to take the above with a grain of salt. There is no guarantee the laptop will be able to render skyrim at all.

Furthermore even if you aren't a "hardcore" gamer, playing any games on any type of laptop even a so called "gaming laptop" is silly. They overheat for one, cannot be upgraded for another, and your battery will last about thirty minutes playing even the simplest 3d games.

I really have to recommend you either buy a console or a desktop if you want to play a few games on your PC. Theres just too many downsides to playing any type of 3d games on any type of laptop even if you are the most casual player. You will be killing your laptop and cutting the lifetime of all its components in half...

i play all my games on my laptop. its a "gaming laptop" but by no means a good one, even when it was new a couple years back. laptops arent always used for portability. for me, it was because i couldnt afford a PC at the time, nor did i have the room, nor the knowhow to build one or buy one, a laptop was much easier, and cheaper. and if need be, i could bring it to school (high school at the time, now college) which ive done on several occasions. i mention this because battery life doesnt affect me in the slightest...

my laptop does get hot sure. and with it on my lap it gets even hotter. i just stick my remote under it to prop up the intake/exhaust so its not blowing on my leg and it can get air a little easier.

also my laptop can play games quite easily. not on super high settings or anything, something like skyrim though im sure it would be able to handle on medium. handles FONV perfectly fine, and Witcher, but i havent tested it with anything super strong graphics wise.

lastly, laptops can actually be upgraded. some easier then others. for example, ive upgrade my other laptop from 2BG of RAM to 4GB. obviously upgrading other components isnt as easy as it is for a PC, and sometimes its down right impossible if said parts were build specifically for the laptop and hence cannot be replaced. but with a good laptop, you can make changes......so to say laptops are just plain silly isnt quite accurate. while i agree the term "gaming laptop" is more for marketing then it is fact. gaming can in fact be done on a laptop, and sometimes its just easier and/or more convenient for some people :D

i play all my games on my laptop. its a "gaming laptop" but by no means a good one, even when it was new a couple years back. laptops arent always used for portability. for me, it was because i couldnt afford a PC at the time, nor did i have the room, nor the knowhow to build one or buy one, a laptop was much easier, and cheaper. and if need be, i could bring it to school (high school at the time, now college) which ive done on several occasions. i mention this because battery life doesnt affect me in the slightest...

my laptop does get hot sure. and with it on my lap it gets even hotter. i just stick my remote under it to prop up the intake/exhaust so its not blowing on my leg and it can get air a little easier.

also my laptop can play games quite easily. not on super high settings or anything, something like skyrim though im sure it would be able to handle on medium. handles FONV perfectly fine, and Witcher, but i havent tested it with anything super strong graphics wise.

lastly, laptops can actually be upgraded. some easier then others. for example, ive upgrade my other laptop from 2BG of RAM to 4GB. obviously upgrading other components isnt as easy as it is for a PC, and sometimes its down right impossible if said parts were build specifically for the laptop and hence cannot be replaced. but with a good laptop, you can make changes......so to say laptops are just plain silly isnt quite accurate. while i agree the term "gaming laptop" is more for marketing then it is fact. gaming can in fact be done on a laptop, and sometimes its just easier and/or more convenient for some people :D

I don't mean to sound patronizing or anything but, are you sure your laptop was cheaper? And compared to what? Most laptop components and laptops in general are more expensive then their desktop counterparts because everything must be smaller and more condensed in a laptop.

To each their own, if a laptop is what you require then great. But if your like me you want performance and last-ability and that's only really achievable on a desktop platform.

I really recommend you read my posts before giving advice. I have a desktop computer for gaming.

Look. Let me clear up some confusion here on the gaming thing.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I never considered Skyrim to fall under a hardcore gaming type of game. It doesn't require a major FPS, there's no multiplayer, aside from the civil war quests there's nowhere you're going to encounter tons of enemies at one time. Granted Bethesda isn't going to get any awards for memory optimization, but whatever.

I don't require a "gaming laptop". I would like to get a new laptop because my current one is an old celeron 540 that won't even run morrowind, and I would like to be able to run Skyrim on it so I have something to do when I go somewhere else.

I asked a simple question. You guys gave me the answer I needed, but not without injecting your own personal prejudices into the argument. I think it was a little uncalled for.

The deciding point that you guys brought up is the horrible onboard video they're packaging with most laptops. There's no denying the i7 is a nice chip and the ram and hard drive space are sufficient, but clearly the video can't handle it based on the link that was posted.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I understand your problem you want to do some gaming on the go the problem is you play the game on your desktop you will get annoyed with a very low quality on a laptop.

Then look for a dual core with a separate graphics card like the gt540

You should also look into getting a ssd.

Edited by Erik005