Dark Souls Review/News

Rennn

It's been feared for a while that Dark Souls for the PC would lock the screen resolution at 720p, the 360's native resolution, and therefore the resolution of the version that is being ported from. This would be a bit of a baffling design decision, as it's literally no extra work to let your video card handle multiple resolutions. However, I've heard a rumor that an important person within GameSpy confirmed that Dark Souls will not be capped at 720p, or even 1080p. He supposedly states that there was a translatione error, and that it is texture resolution that will be unchanged from the console versions.

While it's not certain it's likely that this was, as suspected, an issue in translation where texture resolution was mistaken for screen resolution. I haven't managed to find the original source, but we can hope... I don't mind 1080p, but 720p is kind of low.

Edited by Rennn

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downloading it.

And it's only 3.8 Gb like you said, should be done in about 4 hours :biggrin:

EDIT:

I'll quote what I said in another thread

It's a poor port.

But hey, it's DS and it's on PC. We didn't want anything more anyway.

Blurry graphics can be fixed with a d3d9.dll, search for the fix on google.

Controls are eh, but playable.

Random FPS drops, but playable.

From Soft said they have no idea what they're doing with porting it and it seems they were right. But, I am thankful for their honesty and that they even considered porting this thing to PC.

Here is the fix for the blurry graphics: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/DSfix.zip

Extract and put it in your Dark Souls > Data directory in the Steam folder. (Steam > Steamapps > Common >Dark Souls > Data)

Edit: Works great with any gamepad instantly. Doesn't have to be Xbox one, just plug it in and you're ready to go. I'm using Speedlink Strike gamepad, works great.

Edited by Iv000

This game is amazing! I'm getting a stable 30 fps with my AMD 6770, and my card isn't even straining itself. It's been ages since I've been able to run a good-looking modern game on true ultra with my 6770. (Since there are pretty much no graphical options, it's almost ultra by default. Lol.) Optimization ftw. I heard some guy with a 560 TI claim that he couldn't force it under 30 fps, no matter how many nvidia effects he enforced. (Lots of anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, etc.) Gameplay is just as good as consoles- and I haven't had any bugs yet. The pc controls are pretty terrible, but you can remap them to not be so bad, and it's perfect with a gamepad. I downloaded the resolution mod, and that works great. Can you believe a lot of people are calling this game ugly? They need that resolution mod, stat. Graphics are unbelievable for a console game at higher resolutions- it's too bad they're hidden under garbage 720p by default. It pretty much looks like a modern pc game without that frame buffer. No wonder it ran below 30 fps on consoles. I'll post pics once I stop dieing so much and actually regain enough of my former skill to have the liesure of turning off my hud and lining up good scenes without getting mauled.

Edit; If I sound frantic, it's because I slept about 1 hour last night. Dark Souls rocks.

Oh, and Durante is working on a fix for the low-res dof that keeps blurring out distant areas, so that's good.

I'm stuck on the Taurus demon already. Died twice on it so far. :rolleyes:

Edited by Aegrus

You're getting 30 FPS with no drops?

Strange, my card is better than yours (6870). I should be getting at least the same performance as you do. Can I know which drivers you're using please?

The resolution fix also isn't working for me, I think I know why. I'll try it again later.

Game is really great, the FPS drops make it a bit less enjoyable but I guess I'll fix that sooner or later. Currently dying at the skeleton graveyard. I haven't played a game with a controller for over 3 years, I have to get used to it a bit.