An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

Here's my thoughts for the Brotherhood of Steel:

I would expect the Brotherhood to be removed from the game in the House and Legion version of the mod since the player is ordered to get rid of them. A truce with the Brotherhood and NCR is only possible if McNamara is still the chapter's elder. After Hoover Dam the NCR hand over all scavenged power armor in exchange for the Brotherhood's help in patrolling the roads.

If the Brotherhood still exist in the Independent version then it all comes to which Elder is running the chapter. If Hardin is the new elder then I can see them being a problem for the player as Yes Man had feared. The Brotherhood will also retake Helios One during the battle of Hoover Dam and may eventually figure out how to get the ARCHIMEDES system operational. Along with harassing travelers to hand over any tech I can also imagine them wanting to stake a claim in Hoover Dam.

If McNamara is still in charge then I believe it is possible to negotiate with the Brotherhood. Even though Veronica failed to convince McNamara in changing the Brotherhood's direction he was still aware that the road that they were on would lead them to ruin. Eventually McNamara has a change of heart when he makes the player (an outsider) a member of the Brotherhood and offers a truce with the NCR. With the NCR gone the Brotherhood will harass travelers for tech but only if the securitrons have not been upgraded.

If the Mojave Brotherhood has made a truce with the NCR and/or assisted the player in protecting the Mojave I would expect the main Brotherhood chapter at Lost Hills to tell McNamara that he is on his own just as they did with Elder Lyons chapter in Fallout 3. This may result in Hardin and some of the more hardline members going outcast or (preferably) joining up with the Circle of Steel.

Even if McNamara is more reasonable I don't think he would help out the player for nothing in return. I would be reluctant to hand over HELIOS One and Hoover Dam over to the Brotherhood but I'm sure that they could help the player clear the Outer Vegas area of Fiends which would allow them to collect more energy weapons. I would even allow the Brotherhood to use Vault 3 as a temporary base as I would want to offer it to the Followers of the Apocalypse later on where they could use it for making medical supplies which would address their supply problems. If Vault 3 has a stockpile of energy weapons this would be an additional incentive for the Brotherhood.

In addition to offering water to the brotherhood and a trade deal with whoever the new Van Graff replacement is I would like to help the Brotherhood acquire a vertibird (help them recover the crashed vertibird) and set up a base somewhere outside Legion territory (say an abandoned airport in Nebraska) which would serve as a trading hub for Brotherhood factions that are cut off from Lost Hills (MidWest Brotherhood and Lyons chapter). This would put the Mojave chapter in a good position with their connections with the Van Graffs. I would also offer the Brotherhood excavation rights for the Divide as I recently mentioned in the Lonesome Road expansion thread in return for their help in dealing with the tunnelers.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with that is the Mojave Chapter is that they're lacking numbers. If they do set up a base somewhere I think it should also have members from other chapters come in.

If they do get a Vertibird I think it should be the Remnants since I have a difficult time seeing the crashed one fly again.

The Boomers had spare parts though. We don't know if the BoS would have spare parts for the Vertibird or how bad the crash was.

It's worth noting that the Boomers had very few technological capabilities and little knowledge - as is mentioned repeatedly, they're little more than very well-armed tribals.

The Brotherhood, on the other hand, have the most advanced technological capabilities in the entire Wasteland. Given the raw resources, they could probably build an entire new Vertibird, given the time and inclination. I've no doubt that they could fix up the Crashed Vertibird if they wanted to.

I think that the Brotherhood's fate should be left up to the player. They can be left in their bunker while the player deals out the winnings to the other factions (which might result in a Brotherhood uprising down the line), or they can be sent to Hoover Dam, Vault 3 and the Divide to grab the technology in exchange for securing and fortifying the region.

Under McNamara, I think they'd be willing to contribute whatever they did to the Mojave's defence - McNamara's ideologically-bound, but it's clear that the player and Veronica both sway his opinion over time, and I think he'd be willing to help defend the Mojave (on the grounds that it would aid Brotherhood interests). He's an ideologue, but not a fool - he'll act in the best interests of the Brotherhood, as long as they don't radically go against the beliefs of the Brotherhood (for instance - he won't let outsiders join up (at least, not at first - that might be another quest idea that I'll explore in a later post), but he will use his Paladins defend those outsiders for a very hefty fee).

Been pretty slammed for time, but just wanted to chime in that I don't think repairing the vertibird is a major obstacle for the BOS. They're second only to the enclave in technical prowess (for the vanilla factions) and their origin is military as is the vertibird (military vehicle). I could easily see them having extensive data/records for them, just like the airforce does for our various air combat vehicles. I can also mess around with the model and add some arc weilding animations/peeps from the pitt assets that are included in the meshes bsa, if we want a little realism.

Anyway I should finally have a weekend off this week,and I'll try and catch up with the thread. I think I'll also being implementing some of our ideas. Maybe start with the eyebot army since I love those little guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are! Sorry about posting in the other thread, wasn't exactly clear on what you meant. Anyway, how's the progress with a workable .esp coming along? Anything I can do to help?

Could you run your skill set (in re: to geck, models, audio etc) by me again? To me, probably the most valuable input is ideas (both how things would change under the ending and new ideas).

Elementary GECK skills, in the process of learning more as time goes on. No skills yet in modelling. Quite capable of voice-acting (although my accent sounds more British than anything, and so would perhaps only be suitable for Legion NPCs or perhaps a rather specific archetype of independent). If it helps, I deliver a very good dramatic speech.

My real love and specialty is writing, though. What sort of ideas do you want? Ask me questions, and I'll throw the answers at you like there's no tomorrow.

Elementary GECK skills, in the process of learning more as time goes on. No skills yet in modelling. Quite capable of voice-acting (although my accent sounds more British than anything, and so would perhaps only be suitable for Legion NPCs or perhaps a rather specific archetype of independent). If it helps, I deliver a very good dramatic speech.

Well we need a new set of dialog barks that reflect current events post game. Things tourists, natives and/or soilders say on teh strip and freeside (all depending on what ending where discussing) about present conditions in and around the mojave.

My real love and specialty is writing, though. What sort of ideas do you want? Ask me questions, and I'll throw the answers at you like there's no tomorrow.

Umm it probably wouldn't make sense for me to ask you questions, something akin to a NV checklist, nor do I have the time to walk through it for each contributor to teh thread. What would be more efficient and straight forward would be for you to make suggestions on how you see the post game conditions. You could reflect on a character, faction, location, plot/storyline etc.

For instance we've talked a bit about black mountain. It could possibly be acquired by Legion or NCR to jam wireless communication between teh securitrons and the lucky38 mainframe, making it a potentially important strategic target. It may also be desired by Marcus to complete his orginal plan of broadcasting to his lost kin. But it's heavily irradiated so it poses a problem to some factions (like the legion). Other factions won't have as much trouble with the rads (NCR ghoul rangers, and SMs....). So you could kind of project how a story could develop.

There are many locations that similarly could evolve and change post hoover dam (or even simply after being cleared by the courier). It's a chance for you to express your vision of how the Mojave could change and evolve.

Alright. In that case, I'll periodically throw what'll basically amount to short essays up in this thread about the state of the Mojave post-Dam.

Also, I can't really help with voice acting (except maybe for the Legion dialogue barks). Maybe go hit up the VA thread in the Mod Talk forum?