An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

Pie Baker does have a point, General Oliver can be killed that way - is there an alternate that could be used if that did happen? Would be pretty weird to have Oliver show up when he was supposed to be doing a flesh-pancake impression...

Probably Moore. She's a brigadier general? In some countries that's a one star general. She totally tows the line with both Oliver and Kimball (especially in re: to the Mojave and Legion) and apparently has "great influence" because of it (although if they fall from power she'll loose at least some of her influence), veritable legend, been serving since she was 16, & she was a ranger. She was also in a lot of campaigns (Vipers, Jackals, 4 tours against the BOS in CA), and is "widely considered to be one of the most competent military officers in the Army".

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@devinpatterson - feel better soon - I usually drink lots of tea with lemon and eat chicken soup - doesn't help much, but tastes pretty good... :laugh:

Thanks brother, I appreciate that. The sleep is definitely helping, don't think I'v crashed this long in one block, since.....well seems like forever.

Just wanted to say - in the NCR ending, Kimball probably wouldn't be impeached. The Courier basically saves Kimball's behind by helping to defeat the Legion and effectively conquering the Mojave. If the consensus is that he should be impeached, then we could make that a common variable by having Hanlon or maybe the brahmin barons forcing the impeachment as well.

That's what I'm thinking as well (no impeachment for NCR ending), that's the gold ring that Kimball was shooting for. If he annexes NV, everything he's been putting on the line comes through with flying colors. I'd say NCR ending, Kimball locks down his power (barring something disastrous). And I don't mean just the presidency, but his support in teh congress will expand tremendously with a major resource like the dam in the NCR's hands, a shining jewel of the Mojave (NV) as a new state and a route of the Legion, he'll be a legend.

Here is my ideas on the endings, let me know what you guys think;

NCR ending: The best Kimball and his supporters can hope for, full vindication of the lives and resources spent. A defeat of the Legion, and a very valuable new state (as well as resources from the dam) added to the Republic. Kimballs support and legend grows and he's assured of a new term (assuming that's allowed in the NCR presidency)

Ind. with NCR friendly ending:, should be something Kimball can spin to keep the presidency. Just pile on a bunch of patriotic slogans, "The Republic aiding the free trade zone", "protecting the people of the Mojave", "Alliance and friendship to resist the growing terrors and threat of the east" yada yada. His support will be tenuous, but as long as it's a Legion loss and the damn continues to supply 95% of it's resources to the NCR it's actually a huge win for the Republic.

Ind. with NCR withdrawal ending: Kimball has a recognized win against the Legion, but looses so much (Hoover, NV etc). The NCR now has to pay 5 caps per a gal, & 5 per a Kw. All the resources and lives spent result in a independent NV and Kimballs presidency has come to an end, it's only a question of how long.

ind. with declaration of war against NCR: I'm not sure on this one, I would imagine Kimball gets booted out, impeached at lightning speed, but he might be able to stay in office under a war time act (martial law?). Don't know.

House ending: Same as Ind. with NCR withdrawal (they use the same "order of withdrawal"). Kimballs days are numbered (and there isn't a lot of them).

BTW, I read this somewhere on the Fallout wiki, but basically the President before the Great War was impeached for jaywalking of all things.

Jeeze and here I thought our political system was hyper partisan :pinch:

Speaking of Kimball will it be possible to see the results of what would happen in all versions of the mod if Kimball was assassinated in the main game?

I havn't given it any thought, but your right we definitely should. I look at the timeline and search the wiki to see if we can get any info on his successor.

I don't think there is any mention of a successor to Kimball. If assassinated or impeached then I'm sure that the NCR Vice President will take on the job for the duration of the term.

The consequences of assassinating Kimball such as the mentioned war and trade embargo should be dependent on the player directly assassinating the president. Otherwise if the player let's the Legion kill Kimball or refuses to save him during Yes Man's path then the NCR will only have an Legion assassin and their own incompetence to blame and the worst to expect would be a drop in tourism for a few months.

Here is my ideas on the endings, let me know what you guys think;

NCR ending: Kimballs support and legend grows and he's assured of a new term (assuming that's allowed in the NCR presidency)

Going back as far as Tandi who was president for fifty two years I would have to say that NCR presidents are not limited to serving two terms.

ind. with declaration of war against NCR: I'm not sure on this one, I would imagine Kimball gets booted out, impeached at lightning speed, but he might be able to stay in office under a war time act (martial law?). Don't know.

I think you got the endings spot on but the ind. with declaration of war is certainly a tricky one. I would assume that declaring war on the NCR might save Kimball from impeachment but his position would tenuous for the duration of his term,become a lame duck president and would eventually be voted out.

I don't know if you guys have taken this into account, but there is mod that lets you leave the Brotherhood alone with the House path. You may want to implement this somehow and make a more peaceful way to deal with the BoS in House's ending. Sorry if this has already been brought up and I'm being redundant.

I have to say this is an amazing project you're all undertaking and appreciate the time that's being put into making it possible. I'd love to help anyway I can. That being said I'm not too skilled with G.E.C.K., but I'd be willing to learn. I could also help with any story bits you guys need help with. I could also voice act when that becomes necessary. Keep up the good work fellas!

I don't think there is any mention of a successor to Kimball. If assassinated or impeached then I'm sure that the NCR Vice President will take on the job for the duration of the term.

Well cr*p, not much on the VP, and what there is, appears to be contradictory. William Slater "is mostly remembered for persuading President Kimball to send NCR Veteran Combat Rangers to Baja and begin the New California Republic's interest in the region." and "As the game progresses, vice-president Slater finally convinces Kimball to send elite rangers to the Mojave from here [baja]." So either someone got something wrong in the wiki or Slater did a 180.

and the worst to expect would be a drop in tourism for a few months.

And another story we can guarantee a lot of air time from all the stations. Could be continuing segments about the memorial, some other senators/politicians talking about their time spent with Kimball, some current and retired military doing the same. Probably enough material to spread out of several game weeks or months, especially on the NCR civ radio.

Radio stations are similar to dialog quests so I can tackle those since I'm working on a few and in the groove. I'd love to hear ideas for them.

The NCR civ in particular could have some interesting segments. I see them as most like modern radio stations.

They could have political dialog. Maybe a real rabble-rouser, a talk show host with huge public opinion. One that's for getting in their and kicking the Legion's butt, or alternately the opposite. They could have recruitment segments.

Short patriotic interviews about how the average trooper is on the front line, something like the news reels they did in WWII. Stressing the importance of service etc.

They could even have public service announcements like practical ways of dealing with common vermin such as rad roaches.

Assuming the NCR is also the closest thing to a proto USA, there might even be celebrities, radio or even TV. I would think that in the most settled NCR areas it wouldn't be a technological impossibility to get some old TV stations up and running. Maybe those celebrities come out for shows for the troops. Or even just some of the non nude "girlie" shows you'd see in WWII. Perhaps business and industry has built up to a level that you hear an advertisement for the Crimson Caravan, or Van graffs.

Could be fun to play with a old style radio using current wasteland characters, products and events.

I think you got the endings spot on but the ind. with declaration of war is certainly a tricky one. I would assume that declaring war on the NCR might save Kimball from impeachment but his position would tenuous for the duration of his term,become a lame duck president and would eventually be voted out.

Yeah it's a tricky one. I feel like the other ones pretty much write themselves, but that one could go both way.

I don't know if you guys have taken this into account, but there is mod that lets you leave the Brotherhood alone with the House path. You may want to implement this somehow and make a more peaceful way to deal with the BoS in House's ending. Sorry if this has already been brought up and I'm being redundant.

I do believe someone had mentioned it, but I appreciate you bringing it up.

A problem with it is that this mod is really made to be used after the hoover dam battle has completed. I'v tried to put in some safety checks and I'll keep trying to find any var's or what not I can tie the quest into, so it can't fire off early (even if a player installs it before the battle at hoover). But we can't really change anything before the dam unless I make another stage. At that point it would be possible to add content before the battle, but I think I'd only do that if I knew for absolutely sure I could guarantee the main stage would not go off for any of the endings before that battle was done. I don't want to ruin or impact the climax of the whole game.

But I'll check into it :thumbsup:

I could also help with any story bits you guys need help with. I could also voice act when that becomes necessary. Keep up the good work fellas!

Taht would be great and much appreciated. The story is by far the most important part of this mod and I think we would all appreciate the input. We also desperately need voice actors especially if you can do a passable imitation of any of the NPC's or companions. But even if you can't we definitely need your help as a voice actor. If you get a chance can you record the following lines (in your natural voice);

1. With Mr. House dead, what will happen to New Vegas? <worried>

2. I'v heard he's called the monster of the east <fearful>

3. All of the securitrons are different now. <puzzled>

4. I was here during the riots, It was horrible <fearful>

Yes Colonel Moore does get promoted to Brigadier General after the end of the game. Not to mention that there is already post-end-game audio for her in the game files describing what has happened after the Second Battle of Hoover Dam.

Probably Moore. She's a brigadier general? In some countries that's a one star general. She totally tows the line with both Oliver and Kimball (especially in re: to the Mojave and Legion) and apparently has "great influence" because of it (although if they fall from power she'll loose at least some of her influence), veritable legend, been serving since she was 16, & she was a ranger. She was also in a lot of campaigns (Vipers, Jackals, 4 tours against the BOS in CA), and is "widely considered to be one of the most competent military officers in the Army".

Well cr*p, not much on the VP, and what there is, appears to be contradictory. William Slater "is mostly remembered for persuading President Kimball to send NCR Veteran Combat Rangers to Baja and begin the New California Republic's interest in the region." and "As the game progresses, vice-president Slater finally convinces Kimball to send elite rangers to the Mojave from here [baja]." So either someone got something wrong in the wiki or Slater did a 180.

I had a look at the link provided and it does sound contradictory. Nevertheless it might be possible to put the vice president in the game as an npc. He could even be the one who presents the courier with the golden branch award in the NCR version and have some excuse for Kimball not being present. For some reason I can see this vice president being similar to Dick Cheney.

Assuming the NCR is also the closest thing to a proto USA, there might even be celebrities, radio or even TV. I would think that in the most settled NCR areas it wouldn't be a technological impossibility to get some old TV stations up and running. Maybe those celebrities come out for shows for the troops.

There is mention of television still existing in Old World Blues when the player threatens his/her brain to exposure to television. While I agree that it is possible for the NCR to repair some television stations I would suspect that the only things being broadcast would be reruns of pre war shows and movies.

Yeah keep it military in the NCR, Securitron in the House/Ind version. It streamlines things for me considerably, and allays several story inconsistencies with House as well as Ind. choices.

The office section would be a pretty good place to make a new official NCR headquarters/ military base to overlook Arizona, I don't know about the House version though... maybe another securitron vault?

It's hard to imagine what House would really do with the Dam when he's gotten his hands on it, other than do the same thing as NCR; mildly tolerate a civilian/worker population which they all have to tolerate otherwise there would be nobody to work the machines.

Actually maybe this is a good middle ground for Hoover Dam; in House/Independent/NCR there'll be a settlement on the exterior of the Dam, so the town will be there, and then the office section inside of the Dam is changed to reflect either House/Independent/NCR. The NCR version would have more content at this location since they're all about pushing into Arizona, and House would have relatively little content, and the Independent version would well.. be a mixture of the two, depending on the players choices.

Also do you guys remember the special/random encounters for fast travel in the older games

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Sacred_head_of_the_Vault_Dweller

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Crashed_whale

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tin_Man

Could be a nice expansion for the Wild Wasteland trait ;)

I mean, if the chances of encountering these were like 5% or something small with each fast travel then it'd be great; a good way to give the player little reward items. Thinking about it, this would have been easy as hell for the game makers to have put into F3 or Vegas..