An independent New Vegas mod.

devinpatterson

I don't remember Halford, but the other three are all pretty interesting personalities. The only problem I see is that companions might need to be real bad-*sses in their own right since they will be accompanying what will most likely be by now a high level courier. I could see Harland being capable, but aren't the other two (just going of their rank/titles) a little soft? Maybe they could be a different type of companion where the courier takes on a mentor/apprentice relationship?

The mentor/apprentice aspect sounds like a good angle to take. I agree with what you said that they would pale in comparison to a high level player but I wouldn't consider Watkins (whose talents were recognized by the head scribe) and Halford (only survivor of the lakelurk attack and managed to kill one with a knife) as weak. I suggested these characters because of their interesting personalities that you mentioned.

Watkins seems to come across as a mischievous adrenalin junkie whose overconfidence may get her into trouble one day. I can imagine McNamara requesting that the player takes her under his/her wing for a spell as he is at his wits ends with her.

Alice seems like a conflicted kid who needs to find her own place in the world. This would play well with the mentor/apprentice idea.

As for Halford I've quoted his wiki entry - Halford's experiences at Camp Guardian seem to have soured his view of the NCR's military leadership, or at least strengthened any disdain for it that he might have already had. While speaking to the Courier, he is unapologetically critical of the NCR's handling of its Mojave campaign, and states that he is returning to California because he is no longer willing to risk his life at the command of people he perceives as incompetent.

As you said these are interesting characters in their own rights and I'm surprised that nobody has made companion mods out of them yet.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mentor/apprentice aspect sounds like a good angle to take....Watkins seems to come across as a mischievous adrenalin junkie whose overconfidence may get her into trouble one day. I can imagine McNamara requesting that the player takes her under his/her wing for a spell as he is at his wits ends with her.

That does sound like a good lead in\quest start, for her. Another might be if she has screwed up big, I mean really big and the only one she can turn to is the player. What she might have done I have no idea, maybe completely recompiled the BOS's sever with faster algorithms that did'nt quite turn out as expected or something.

As you said these are interesting characters in their own rights and I'm surprised that nobody has made companion mods out of them yet.

True, our biggest problem as I see it is the level/power differential. Take for example Watkins, as an apprentice she is goiong to be far far weaker than Veronica, which is going to make things tricky. What about a "companion quest" (a small series of adventures) as opposed to a normal companion. It could also help to level her up so she has some juice by the time the quests are over and could maybe be close enough in level to travel along with the courier without getting stomped on in every encounter.

Good deal, it just seems to me that the NCR would have no reason to continue the cartoon theme.

Not to imply that Darkus's suggestion is way off, it fits with existing lore, continues a existing theme etc. So I think it's good that we have a choice of the two, for whichever the player prefers.

Since there's a lot to read here and I don't have the time *cough* to lazy *cough*. Is this for the independent ending or is it for the NCR/Mr. House ending as well?

Since there's a lot to read here and I don't have the time *cough* to lazy *cough*. Is this for the independent ending or is it for the NCR/Mr. House ending as well?

I originally started out as Independent only, but now includes NCR and House ending as well. I'll update the development thread (just started it) this weekend so you don't have to wade through 70 odd pages. It's located here.

I think the NCR trooper face for the Securitron monitor fits perfectly - it has my vote.

This is the pipboy inventory image of the ranger helmet. It has a cartoonish/line drawing look to it. If you like I could trace it (when I find my wacom pen) then colorize it a little (all the securitrons portraits use muted colors to approximate a black and white pallet) and I think it would be a better look for the MK II's. http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/apparel_ncr_ranger_combat_helmet_zps947888c3.png

If you'd like?

Hey,

I've been away and a lot has changed since I last posted, like, 30 more pages to read through! Wow! I'm still up and happy about this project, and I was wondering if there was a Steam Group? If not, it's best to create one for more instant and streamlined discussions.

Also I know I've been throwing a few ideas at you when you already have things on your plate, but since in all of the endings the BoS bunker is either destroyed, occupants slaughtered, or the BoS opens up and patrols/explores. Could it be possible to have the NCR (in the NCR ending) occupy the bunker and surface if the BoS is slaughtered. It's a good base and since it's close to the NCRCF it would allow them to get the prison running again and would be a lot easier to man and quell any uprising. If it's possible to disable the DERVISH Camouflage System then it would be neat to have tents above ground as well as having the main bunker and surrounding bunkers populated with NCR personal.

This would allow you too re-populate the NCRCF with guards and prisoners and have them working on the railroads again.