Anybody else get into oblivion more than skyrim?

WWWEEE

I get into Oblivion more than Skyrim mainly because of Shivering Isles and the 6+ years of mods. Skyrim does not even come close though I certainly have high hopes for the Dragonborn DLC. Even then, I would assume it will take at least another year or two before it matches the quality of mods found in Oblivion. I worry that it may never happen though because I've been seeing a lot about a lack of flexibility the Skyrim CK has vs the Oblivion CS that prevent certain mods from being ported over.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely got into Oblivion more than Skyrim. Yes, it was my first Elder Scrolls game. There was a lot to like really, it had a giant world with a TON of quests. The story was pretty well done too, which coupled with the visuals left me feeling pretty much satisfied. When Skyrim was announced I had high hopes, but the end product disappointed the hell out of me. The quests were for the most rather terrible, and the writing utterly failed to capture my interest. To put it simply, I wasn't expecting Skyrim to be a more shallow experience than Oblivion or Fallout 3.

Nowadays I spend more time modding Skyrim than I do actually playing the darn thing.

• 7 months later...

skyrim was my first tes game and i liked it ... got some mods ... but i saw some posts and forums saying oblivion was better and all ... so i checked oblivion out and then ...... i loved oblivion all thyose quests ... its not like " i lost my purple necklace, go into a dungeon filled with draugrs and spiders and bring it back to me" and then i got some mods and dlc's and all that ... got more into it ... i already completed most of the quests of both games but i still enjoy oblivion more than skyrim :biggrin:

This might just be the nostalgia talking, but I recall Oblivion being... cozier? Skyrim is often kinda bleak and doesn't have the same atmosphere.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there's a lot of things I didn't like about Oblivion - repetitive dungeons, artificial enemy and equipment scaling, nonsensical architecture, stupid NPCs, tons of races but no discernable cultures, atrociously ugly designs, etc. Skyrim fixed most of that and yet... somehow it doesn't have the same sense of fun and wonder.

I used to do this thing called the Oblivion Reports, which was basically just me writing down whatever I was thinking while playing the game and then posting them on this other forum I hang out at. Some of these reports were hilarious, partly because Oblivion was occasionally just awkward enough to let me make amusing leaps of logic. ("The Countess of Bruma is a vampire! It's all a conspiracy!") But also because Oblivion just had a way of stimulating my imagination.

I never quite got into the same spirit with Skyrim. (Or Fallout 3, for that matter.) It just got too serious, there wasn't a lot to joke about.

Edited by Relativelybest

This might just be the nostalgia talking, but I recall Oblivion being... cozier? Skyrim is often kinda bleak and doesn't have the same atmosphere.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there's a lot of things I didn't like about Oblivion - repetitive dungeons, artificial enemy and equipment scaling, nonsensical architecture, stupid NPCs, tons of races but no discernable cultures, atrociously ugly designs, etc. Skyrim fixed most of that and yet... somehow it doesn't have the same sense of fun and wonder.

I used to do this thing called the Oblivion Reports, which was basically just me writing down whatever I was thinking while playing the game and then posting them on this other forum I hang out at. Some of these reports were hilarious, partly because Oblivion was occasionally just awkward enough to let me make amusing leaps of logic. ("The Countess of Bruma is a vampire! It's all a conspiracy!") But also because Oblivion just had a way of stimulating my imagination.

I never quite got into the same spirit with Skyrim. (Or Fallout 3, for that matter.) It just got too serious, there wasn't a lot to joke about.

That feeling you have is called 'Nostalgia" it's what happens when you first play an Elder Scrolls game. That's why people who started on Morrowind will say "Morrowind is the best" while people who started on Oblivion will say "Oblivion is the best".

While I enjoyed and played Oblivion more then Skyrim, I still think Skyrim is the better game overall. Oblivion had more role-play depth then Skyrim with it's use of stats, fame/infamy, and much better and varied quests. Skyrim's weakest point is how boring the quests are. They're all pretty much the same "go to X dungeon and kill X person or retrieve X item". Whoever was doing quest design, needs to be fired for his laziness.

The story in Skyrim was good, not "omg jaw dropping great" but it's still good, it's just that the quests themselves implemented the story poorly.