Missing water.

Systex

Got a screenshot here. Oblivion froze after I saw these missing water textures, I quickly opened task manager and saw that "Oblivion has stopped responding" popped up.

http://s835.photobucket.com/albums/zz272/xxTomahawk-iiZx/?action=view&current=Oblivion2012-06-0418-12-23-90.jpg

Edited by Systex

Have a look in your Oblivion.ini (found in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Vista and Win 7 or Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion for WinXP) in the [Water Variables] section and compare to the default values.

Here's a quote from Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guides with the default values:

[Water Variables]

bUseWaterReflectionsMisc=1

bUseWaterReflectionsStatics=1

bUseWaterReflectionsTrees=1

bUseWaterReflectionsActors=1

The above settings control the additional reflections possible on the surface of water areas. When set to 1, they allow nearby trees, objects, and other characters to reflect in the water. Note that this reduces FPS in busy areas, and that the additional reflections are only visible when you and the objects are closer to the water.

uDepthRange=125 - This option controls the depth of water visibility from above. The higher the value, the clearer the water appears, however some water glitches may also start becoming apparent, and FPS may be reduced as well.

bUseWaterDepth=1 - If set to 0, water becomes completely opaque (i.e. you cannot see into it at all from above). This can resolve some of the visual glitches which result from changing the uGridsToLoad value, and can also improve FPS, at the cost of some realism.

uNumDepthGrids=3 - Also appears to control the depth of water visible, with lower values making water less transparent. If set too high this results in glitches, but if set to 1 can resolve issues with the uGridsToLoad value being higher than 5 and improve FPS as well.

bUseWaterLOD=1 - If set to 0 removes all water.

fSurfaceTileSize=2048.0000 - Controls the size of the water texture grids. The smaller this value, the smaller the size of texture tiles, and the faster and more tightly packed the water ripples will appear.

Another thing that can cause missing water is load order. I have to run any mod that changes water textures after open cities. Which is a royal pain because I've had to endlessly mess with with my load order to come up with a happy medium such as leaving a few minor areas with small land tears.