(Seemingly) Random Crash when starting new game with Start Me Up

nighthal1

Whenever I hit "Time to Wake Up!" and finish my character creation, the game freezes upon starting to load, it doesn't hesitate.

However, I've tried doing less in-depth characters and switching around what I want for my actual character, and sometimes it works no problem.

What I want is a Level 25 NCR Ranger, situated in the Glowing Sea. I've tried making a character with all those traits separately and they usually work, but whenever I put them all together the game freezes.

Here is my load order, I downloaded all of this stuff 2 days ago, including FO4 itself, so it should all be up to date.

0 0 Fallout4.esm
1 1 DLCRobot.esm
2 2 DLCworkshop01.esm
3 3 DLCCoast.esm
4 4 DLCworkshop02.esm
5 5 DLCworkshop03.esm
6 6 DLCNukaWorld.esm
7 7 Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
8 8 SimSettlements.esm
Be Exceptional - Uninstall.esp
9 9 Be Exceptional.esp
10 a Vivid Fallout - All in One - Best Choice.esp
11 b Nuclear weather-SnowONLY.esp
12 c CBBE.esp
13 d EFF.esp
14 e Companion Infinite Ammo and Unbreakable Power Armour.esp
15 f Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp
16 10 SilentProtagonist.esp
17 11 UniqueUniques.esp
18 12 powerarmort49.esp
19 13 F4NVServiceRifleRedux.esp
20 14 Rangergearnew.esp
21 15 DP_CaravanShotgun.esp
22 16 WeightlessJunk.esp
23 17 SlowTime.esp
24 18 LegendaryRarity5.esp
25 19 NoLegendaryAllDifficulties.esp
26 1a DisableAllFaction.esp
27 1b Binary Speech Checks V.4 Forgiving.esp
28 1c CriticalHitsOutsideofVATS.esp
29 1d 2xEnemyDamage.esp
30 1e 2xPlayerDamage.esp
31 1f ImmersiveLoversEmbraceRemastered.esp
32 20 PD_VisualReload.esp
33 21 ShellRain.esp
34 22 PD_LowerWeapon.esp
35 23 PreWarSafes.esp
36 24 TracerMod.esp
37 25 LunchboxSurprise.esp
38 26 FO4LaserBolts - InstituteRoyalBlue.esp
39 27 FO4LaserBolts.esp
40 28 Docile Radstags.esp
41 29 PA-Quick Animations.esp
42 2a Clean Water - Tropical.esp
43 2b EnclaveX02.esp
44 2c Hellfirenew.esp
45 2d PAMAP.esp
46 2e EnclaveX02_PAMAP.esp
47 2f HellfireX03_PAMAP.esp
48 30 PowerArmorT49_PAMAP.esp
49 31 Better Power Armor - Extended.esp
50 32 mjp_PTRS41ATR.esp
51 33 DOOMThatGun.esp
52 34 StartMeUp.esp

Also, trying to activate bullet time on my controller doesn't appear to work, and I don't have any item in my Aid section like the readme says I would. But this is a side issue and I'd much rather get the actual game STARTED first.
Thank you in advance.

I could never get Be Exceptional to work, the same thing happened to me. Not saying this is your culprit, but if mods are CTD then you need to deactivate all your mods (except for start me up perhaps) and then start your game, if it still works on your mods was the problem. Now you need to activate one mod at a time and try to start your game, do this until your game won't start - you have now found the mod that is conflicting.

Well it's not crashing to desktop, it's just freezing entirely upon transition to the loading screen. It seems everything's working fine until I try to put all of those elements together. But I guess I can deactivate a few and reactivate once the game loads.

first of all make sure Startmeup.esp is at the Very Bottom of your Load Order (Literally as close to the bottom as possible)

also this issue can be caused if you select multiple options in the same option (so for example, for the Where Was I option, selecting 2 different places, can cause the loading screen freeze)

and lastly this can also be caused by a mod conflict, so again this mod needs maximum priority and as such should be the very last mod in your load order (just 1 slot above Bash Patch,0 if you have it)

i have also had this issue happen to me 2 times, 1st time was because Start Me Up was not at the very bottom of load order (which also caused a conflict with another mod i was using), and the 2nd time was for the second statement

Edited by Guest

It's always been a good practice to not start a fresh game with tons of mods installed. Some mods that have scripts set to trigger an action after leaving Vault 111 don't fire properly if you don't start the game there and the script isn't written to take that into account. They can potentially cause problems if you start outside the vault as SMU allows you to do.

You should always only start with the mods you need to get through character creation (Looks Menu, hair mods, etc). Then after you go through the door and spawn at your chosen location, save, quit, activate more mods, reload.

Activate mods as you need them, never all of them before you even start the game. Example: there is no reason whatsoever to have a mod changing Diamond City running until you are actually close to DC for the first time. At the very least, if you install something and it causes problems you don't lose a ton of progress if you have to revert to save prior to activating it.

I've started the game with Start Me Up at least seven or eight times using a minimal load order at the beginning and have never had infinite loading screens, freezes or any other issues.

EDIT: Put Be Exceptional below SMU.

I have this scenario with the current Start Me Up version on a few starting locations. Character settings don't matter, depends entirely on start location, only some locations don't cause an engine exception - clean CTD. The ranger hut behind Abernathy Farm works pretty reliably, as does the crashed bus near Concord. Most others (haven't tried every single one) just crash instantly when the load screen shows up.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to necro, but I'm just looking for a solution to this very problem!

I've noticed that if I select 'This is just a memory, I don't want to relive it', I spawn inside the Vault no problem. Exiting the Vault works fine too. Yet, if I select to spawn anywhere in the Wasteland, the game freezes after I'm done selecting my character's background and stuff. So damn annoying! :pinch: