ScreenEffects Presets

nikpav

It came to my attention that the "ScreenEffects" mod includes 4 presets for the choice of yours to save. Although I am neither able to save any preset and always have to set my settings all over again when I load my save game nor I can find the .ini file located in My Documents/My Games/Oblivion. So in any way I am unable to save any preset of my desire. Anyone having any ideas is free to post them here.

Other mods I've used have an ini file located in either the Data folder or an Ini subfolder from Data (I don't use ScreenEffects so I can't say for sure about it). Simplest way to tell where ScreenEffects ini is located is extract the download to a temporary folder and examine the contents. Edited by Striker879

There is no ini inside the archive downloaded. Only files inside are:

ScreenEffects.esm

ScreenControls.esp

ScreenEffects.fx (OBGE shader)

obge.dll (OBSE plugin)

2 readme files which say nothing about the location of the ini file

Here is the link to the download to see for yourself if you want to http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/16323

Edited by nikpav

Looking through the readme leads me to believe the 'vanilla' ScreenEffects doesn't have an ability like what you are after (saving settings between gameplay sessions). A quote from the readme (emphasis added):

Before your mod can control the visual effects, you must add a control item for each effect you want to be able to change to the appropriate control stack. For example, if you want to be able to control the Brightness, first you need to create an inventory item in the Construction Set and give it a UNIQUE editorID, for example: MyModBrightness. Any item that can be added to an inventory will work, but later I will explain why you might want to choose one in specific. The Name field of the item doesn't matter, but you will want to make sure to put something there that you will recognize.

Now that you have your MyModBrightness item, you would then put the following code in the initialization section of the script for your mod:

SCBrightnessStack.additem MyModBrightness 1

'SCBrightnessStack' is a container from ScreenEffects.esm into which all control items for brightness from each mod are kept and tracked.

With the control item added to the control stack, you are now able to change the brightness, which is tracked by the weight of your control item. To set the brightness to twice as much as normal you would do:

setweight 2 MyModBrightness

When the above line is called by the game the brightness will instantly be doubled. Also note that since the Weight controls the value, you can set the weight of the object to be the value you want as default while your mod is active.

IMPORTANT! OBSE allows changes to properties of items, but changes do not save when you save the game. For this reason you will need to reapply your settings whenever a save game is loaded (which you can check easily with GetGameLoaded). Because of this you will probably also want to have your own variables to store what the current settings SHOULD be so that you know what to set them to on game load. See the scripts in the example mod, Screen Controls, to see one way to do this.

To get one of those presets to be persistent between game sessions I think you'll need to create a mod that has an appropriate script (created by you).

This is about the ScreenEffects readme. The ScreenControls readme indicates that you are able to save up to 4 presets:

This is an example mod that illustrates how to control the settings in ScreenEffects.esm via script. After enabling the mod, a 'Matrix of Perception' item will be added to your inventory. Activating the item will bring up a UI that will let you manually adjust the visual settings controlled by ScreenEffects to your liking, using a nifty slider widget. This can be very useful for anyone wanting to make a graphic effect, as you can use this to figure out exactly which values to change the settings to in order to get the effect you want.

You could also just use it to make your game look a little nicer, but be aware that settings for dungeons won't necessarily work very well when you go outside, or at night time. For this reason I have provided the ability to set and save four different presets which you can eaily switch between while playing.

The slider widgets have a maximum value at which point the slider won't appear to go any higher. These values are the values at which there isn't a very useful and/or discernible effect to increasing the variable. You can still increase the value, it just won't show the slider moving higher.

NOTE: ScreenControls uses pluggy to store the four presets in an INI file which can be found in the Oblivion save game folder (usually under My Documents/My Games/). The presets will stay the same for all save games stored in that folder.

EDIT: I have also the pluggy mod that says properly installed but still I don't get any ini.

Edited by nikpav

Sorry, missed that. I'm stumped then and I won't be able to do any testing for you as I'm away for the summer and stuck with just my lame-a$$ non-gaming laptop. I see you posted a question in the mod comments, and that's about the only other advice I could offer.

Sorry, missed that. I'm stumped then and I won't be able to do any testing for you as I'm away for the summer and stuck with just my lame-a$ non-gaming laptop. I see you posted a question in the mod comments, and that's about the only other advice I could offer.

At least you bothered to help and THIS is what it counts for me :biggrin:

What INI files have you found in your My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder? Try checking out the OBGE.INI if there is one. The ScreenEffects settings could have been saved there since it uses OBGE.

I finally found the problem :woot:

The .ini couldn't be made because I was using a save-game before ScreenEffects. When I made a new game and altered the settings to my liking then a folder named Pluggy was named and inside was another folder named User Files where inside this finally was made the ScreenControls.ini. Although it still doesn't work on my old saved character which means I might have to start over. No big deal though I have 9hours play time I can achieve this again in no time :wink:.