Make me think its worth it

k357

I'm annoyed.

I've just spent about two hours downloading and installing this game, then trying to install various mods and such to make it look like a game released last year and not 2005, then i spent another half hour installing mods to try improve gameplay in various ways and trying to fix design missteps and now it doesnt work and i've needed to reinstall.

Is it worth it?

I played the console version on release for about two hours before the illusion shattered and all the usual bethesda problems came flooding back.

Convince me this game is worth my time.

As an afterthought here:

List some mods that dont conflict or cause issues, which will fix the main game problems and make the game look a lot better generally. (oh and nothing that just makes characters have huge naked titties everywhere, im not 12)

Edited by k357

Perhaps it's not worth it for you. You can't really just jump in and install a bunch of mods and expect it to work. You really need to take your time read up on the mods and their glitches and conflicts and install and test them one by one. It takes time, but it keeps you from getting into the situation you find yourself in now. You kinda have to want to work with the game, and if you don't enjoy it and don't have the patience to take it slow and do a bit of troubleshooting then it just might not be for you.

I love the game, sure I have a few gripes but overall it's great. Why you think others should convince you to play the game is beyond me, it's obviously not your cup of tea.

Listing mods for someone else is a crap shoot, I have no idea what you like and/or want in your game. Look at the top 100 mods, most of those have been thoroughly tested and will at least document any conflicts in their description (if you take the time to read it, and the comments section).

Perhaps it's not worth it for you. You can't really just jump in and install a bunch of mods and expect it to work. You really need to take your time read up on the mods and their glitches and conflicts and install and test them one by one. It takes time, but it keeps you from getting into the situation you find yourself in now. You kinda have to want to work with the game, and if you don't enjoy it and don't have the patience to take it slow and do a bit of troubleshooting then it just might not be for you.

I love the game, sure I have a few gripes but overall it's great. Why you think others should convince you to play the game is beyond me, it's obviously not your cup of tea.

Listing mods for someone else is a crap shoot, I have no idea what you like and/or want in your game. Look at the top 100 mods, most of those have been thoroughly tested and will at least document any conflicts in their description (if you take the time to read it, and the comments section).

Let me be clear, i want to like the game, i wouldnt have paid for it twice if i didn't

I want the game to be made better is all, i want to not have to rely on mods to make the game good, but until bethesda realises that its up to them to fix their game, not their community, then i guess im saddled with mods or alternatives, and the alternatives all seem rubbish but mods cause issues.

I just wanna make the game look good, control decently without having to plug my 360 pad in, and feel more visceral and skillful. I dont even have core unsolvable problems with skyrim like i did with oblivion or FO3, the levelling system in this is fine for what it does, the story can keep me interested so far, and i genuinely do feel a need to explore the lands.

That's why im here, i want you to convince me that this world deserves exploring and this story deserves to be experienced, then i want to know how i can best alter my game to make that as enjoyable as possible.

hints for mods:

I dont really care about adding assloads of gear, if i wanna spend eight years sorting through items ill go play Diablo,

I dont want naked people everywhere

I dont particularly care for realism hardcore mods so i need to eat sleep and drink

I would like the game to have generally better graphics in pretty much every way from scenery to characters to gear to lighting.

I would like something to make the UI not make me want to plug in my xbox pad

I would like combat to feel more skillful or visceral (mashing M1 to make my character wave swords in the general direction of enemies is just... ugh)

I have a f***ing awesome PC that can run anything i've ever thrown at it, so i highly highly doubt there's any graphics mods i wont be able to run, so in that regard just hit me with your best shot.

Welcome to the Nexus and Modded Skyrim.

I can understand and relate to the frustration playing the vanilla game on a console. My wife bought my first Skyrim for me as a Xmas present for the PS-3. At 250hrs I was done with that experience.

As I am sure you are aware every PC system is different. The graphics level you will be able to play at depends on your system capabilities. Plus the Mods you install will also depend upon yous system capabilities. Any kind of recommendations for Mods would require you to reveal this info.

But let me add this in regards to using Mods. I currently have 100+ Mods currently running on Ultra High with no CTD's and no conflicts.

How each player wants the game to look/play is of course different and a matter of personal choice. But I can't stress strongly enough that you need to read each Mod page carefully and completely. Most Mod problems can be avoided if you do this. I also recommend reading all the comments posted on the Mod page. It pays to use the wisdom from those before you and it keeps the Mod author from needing to reply to the same questions over and over.

Apply one Mod at a time. Test it in-game. If it created any problems then you know it was that Mod was where the problem began. I use NMM to install and un-install all Mods. I use BOSS to order all Mods.

I don't want to seem preachy or anything. But I use this system to apply Mods and I don't have any problems with my game at all. I'm not saying there haven't been Mods that created problens or conflicts but I either resolved the problem or de-activated the Mod. There are lots of Mods out there I wish I could use but don't because they were problematic.

Hang in there...Modded Skyrim is great!

A few mods that might be of interest to you...

SkyUI - Makes the Skyrim interface much better, and more in-line with what the PC version should have looked like.

A Quality World Map - With Roads - Makes the in-game map much more detailed, and has road positions marked on.

Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - Increases the size of Skyrim's textures by 2-8x their original size (which means much clearer and more detailed textures. If your PC will handle it, then I suggest going for the Full version, not the Lite version.

WATER - Makes the water in-game much more detailed, with considerably better textures.

There are plenty more out there, and I'd advise you to start looking in the Top Files list.

TES games have always needed mods to take them to the next level. Skyrim is certainly more in need of them than past titles that is true, but for me it's something I expected (and was even excited about) prior to picking up the game. I'll throw out a few mods I use for some of the stuff you mentioned

I highly recommend the unofficial skyrim patch as it fixes a lot of stuff Bethesda hasn't gotten around to.

Interface - SKYUI - should be obvious since it's the highest rated mod for the game, it does require the script extender (SKSE) but if you read all the instructions it's super easy to install and use and they update very quickly upon the release of new patches.

Graphics - Look in to some of the highly rated ENB configs. I don't have a computer that can handle them so I don't know much about it. Also the 2k texture mods seem good (again I can't use them). I use realistic lighting with customization and it made the game look a lot better for me and it doesn't have a performance hit, but you can probably find a better one.

I use UNP and Better Males for character enhancements both have non-nude versions and make the people look a lot better also ApachiiSky hair and More Hairstyles work well with these if that's your thing.

Combat - There's a mod called Duel Parrying something (I'm not really sure of the title but if you search for those two words you should find it) it's supposed to add some depth to combat. Otherwise browse the mods by category and look at combat mods and sort by most endorsed. Balanced magic is good if you want to be a mage, I've been using this one but be careful as you can overpower yourself if you're not careful.

If you're looking for more life in the world check out Populus, Populated Cities, and Monster Mod

I know you said you don't want realism mods but I just have to throw Frostfall in there. It's a weather/hypothermia/camping mod. I don't really like the hunger/thirst mods either but Frostfall added another dimension to the game that at least makes you think about where you're going and what the weather is like. Might not be for you though.

Likewise you said you don't need lots of gear but if you do get tired of the same old armor and weapons here's a few good additions,

Lore friendly armor, weapons of the 3rd era, moar kontent, weapon variants expansion (or something like that)

Those are some quick suggestions. But I really encourage you to take some time and just browse the mods by category (sorting by endorsements helps a lot). I do this probably a few times a week just to see what is out there and what's new. I've had the game since December and have gotten up to about 35-40 mods now. Again just take your time with it.

hints for mods:

I would like the game to have generally better graphics in pretty much every way from scenery to characters to gear to lighting.

I would like something to make the UI not make me want to plug in my xbox pad

I would like combat to feel more skillful or visceral (mashing M1 to make my character wave swords in the general direction of enemies is just... ugh)

Realistic Lighting With Customization: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/7654 Makes the game feel so much different. Lighting is more vibrant and colourful. Nights are dark and interiors are lit according to where the candles are.

As for graphics you can try Skyrim 2K textures: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/607/ I personally don't like it. Some of the textures seem too sharp and over contrasted. I use the official HD DLC. It's not a huge change in textures, but it's enough to make it look nicer.

For skin textures XCE: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/2356 Cleans up the skin, enhances the eyes, makes the scars look more healed. Great mod. I'd also suggest Straight Hair: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4333 No more mop heads lol and Final Younger Characters: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/2332 Doesn't make them overly young but just enough that it doesn't look like everyone's over the age of 35 lol

UI, that's easy..SkyUI: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/3863/ Requires SKSE it work, but it's so worth it. It was one of the first mods I had to get.

Combat is the only thing I'm unsure of. I haven't found any combat mods, you you're stuck mashing the left click lol

Hope these are some good starts for you to enjoy Skyrim modded :) As others have said, test each one, use BOSS to sort your load order, etc. It takes some time but it's totally worth it IMO.

Thanks everyone, i just started to DL the game again, ill give it another go and check out a lot of the mods you've mentioned here, a fair few were in my botched install but im assuming i just forwent the necessary reading testing and experimenting, and i probably went a bit overboard as well.

There's one thing i would like to know about though, is there any way i can get damage numbers... i know that most of you might consider floating combat text quite immersion breaking but coming from games like WoW LoL and the like, the maths and theory behind things is kind of a core appeal of RPG's for me.

If there's any more mods you wanna recommend please do so, wont be finished downloading for another two or three hours. :)