Too many CTDs

chisbi

Greetings lately with my modded Oblivion I am getting tons of ctds at random moments of my game.

I don't understand what could be the reason but I suspect that could be Oblivion reloaded since I have upgraded it to the latest version.

Here it is my load order.

Plus I have installed most of the graphical mods from Bevilex' mod list.

FTdhPfF.png

Edited by chisbi

Those orange mods may very well be your problem - Orange mods are a false sense of security and almost always will cause CTD's LATER in the game instead of right off the bat

You need to sort the master for them in Xedit then rebuild the bashed patch

Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul - Unless the author has stated specifically, NO mod should ever load below the bashed patch

not being familiar with Oblivion, i can't tell you more, but those errors i did point out is general practice when using WRYE for any game

MOO must load below the bashed patch to work correctly (per Maskar's instructions).

Then no problem, I've never used the mod that is why i stated exactly that

Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul - Unless the author has stated specifically, NO mod should ever load below the bashed patch

Edited by gromulos

Those orange mods may very well be your problem - Orange mods are a false sense of security and almost always will cause CTD's LATER in the game instead of right off the bat

You need to sort the master for them in Xedit then rebuild the bashed patch

gromulos, could you explain why orange marked plugins need to be sorted with tes4edit?

I never knew about that, I tried to read about it more, but all I found was this, but no mention about causing instability or other problems:

Orange: Some mods have changed order. Oblivion and TESCS will adjust for this when you load. However, if some of the mods that you depend made conflicting changes to the same item, a different mod may now dominate because of the reordering.

why orange marked plugins need to be sorted with Xedit?

Orange mods need to be sorted with Xedit SOLELY because when the mod's ESP or ESM was created using the Creation kit or Xedit, the author had their own vanilla files in the wrong order. What happens is the mod calls for a resource, then calls for another resource and if the load order is incorrect that's when you see glitches and CTD's. I'll give an example below:

The normal load order for Skyrim is this straight from Bethesda:

00 Skyrim.esm
01 Update.esm
02 Dawnguard.esm
03 HearthFires.esm
04 Dragonborn.esm

An orange mod may have the load order as this:

00 Skyrim.esm
01 Update.esm
02 Dragonborn.esm
03 HearthFires.esm
04 Dawnguard.esm

Now, you wouldn't think that was a problem, but it is if the item being loaded is lets say a book using the file from Dawnguard with a texture from Dragonborn. See the issue that generates? You can't load the texture before the item that it is supposed to be on lol

Using Xedit and sorting the masters for any orange mods keeps your load order correct, and intact for other mods, reduces conflicts ( glitches ), and ensures that everything runs more fluidly.

Edited by gromulos

• 2 weeks later...

why orange marked plugins need to be sorted with Xedit?

Orange mods need to be sorted with Xedit SOLELY because when the mod's ESP or ESM was created using the Creation kit or Xedit, the author had their own vanilla files in the wrong order. What happens is the mod calls for a resource, then calls for another resource and if the load order is incorrect that's when you see glitches and CTD's. I'll give an example below:

The normal load order for Skyrim is this straight from Bethesda:

00 Skyrim.esm

01 Update.esm

02 Dawnguard.esm

03 HearthFires.esm

04 Dragonborn.esm

An orange mod may have the load order as this:

00 Skyrim.esm

01 Update.esm

02 Dragonborn.esm

03 HearthFires.esm

04 Dawnguard.esm

Now, you wouldn't think that was a problem, but it is if the item being loaded is lets say a book using the file from Dawnguard with a texture from Dragonborn. See the issue that generates? You can't load the texture before the item that it is supposed to be on lol

Using Xedit and sorting the masters for any orange mods keeps your load order correct, and intact for other mods, reduces conflicts ( glitches ), and ensures that everything runs more fluidly.

Thank you, that makes it more clear.

What about filter patches? I have a couple where a list of the masters appears like this : https://imgur.com/a/HusZsW4

Should I create dummy masters for this plugin and sort the masters in tes4edit?

The plugin doesn't appear as orange of course, it's red with a dot in the middle, but I'm curious if it's also recommended to do that.

if they are red then you are missing a needed file, either a patch or a master

The dot just means the file was included in the bashed patch, so you're fine if that happens