Are you having constant exterior CTDs? I've FINALLY found your sol

yafi

I've played this current character for about 40 hours with very very few crashes, but now I'm getting one every few minutes. Every single time it happens my papyrus log looks like this, in its last few lines:

[07/16/2012 - 09:03:29PM] error: (000C6963): cannot find variable named fToggleBlend.

stack:

[ (000C6963)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.SetAnimationVariableFloat() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (000C6963)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.OnLoad() - "FXSetBlendVariableScript.psc" Line 38

[07/16/2012 - 09:03:29PM] error: (000C6984): cannot find variable named fToggleBlend.

stack:

[ (000C6984)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.SetAnimationVariableFloat() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (000C6984)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.OnLoad() - "FXSetBlendVariableScript.psc" Line 38

[07/16/2012 - 09:03:30PM] error: (000C6973): cannot find variable named fToggleBlend.

stack:

[ (000C6973)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.SetAnimationVariableFloat() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (000C6973)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.OnLoad() - "FXSetBlendVariableScript.psc" Line 38

[07/16/2012 - 09:03:30PM] error: (000C6982): cannot find variable named fToggleBlend.

stack:

[ (000C6982)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.SetAnimationVariableFloat() - "<native>" Line ?

[ (000C6982)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.OnLoad() - "FXSetBlendVariableScript.psc" Line 38

The last line is ALWAYS [ (000C6982)].FXSetBlendVariableScript.OnLoad() - "FXSetBlendVariableScript.psc" Line 38

It always, always, ALWAYS ends at line 38.

Anyone know what this could mean?

More detailed explanation here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/731058-ctds-in-a-very-particular-space-outside-of-riften/

Edited by MetallicAGuy

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching this thread for 18 pages now, it's obvious to me that Bethesda has a buggy game when one allows mods. A few simple ones, even well constructed, seem to eventually crash, freeze or even cause the game not to start. Several posts here indicate that this happens even after a fresh install. Lots of great advice to restrain oneself from multiple mods, but isn't that what sites like Steam and Nexus support and encourage?

I'm hoping that Bethesda employees read these entries, but tend to wonder if it makes a difference or not.

One post indicated that the person had contacted Bethesda support over CTD's, and was told that Bethesda doesn't support the installation of mods...at least as far as their technical support goes.

Sigh, I guess it's back to my PS3 and it's vanilla configuration as far as this game goes.

One wonders if all the authors of mods posted here at Nexus encounter similar problems as their users are having and how they are solving the problem; if they are...

@mike2977

That's why we have great community projects like the Unofficial Skyrim Patch to fox things that the companies do not have time for. One thing to remember is that Bethesda is a company. Companies are meant to make money above all else. People always rip on Bethesda for putting out a game with so many flaws, yet what they fail to realize is when you do a game on such an epic scale like this, there are bound to be bugs and such. Bethesda was also on a time restriction, to get this game out on 11/11/11. Along with the people working on this just doing their job, it is understandable this kind of game comes out with the errors it does. As to the comment supposedly Bethesda responded to, of course they are going to say that. If they say, yeah surrreeeee, mods are safe!!!! Go everyone, get all the mods you want! Then that comment could possibly hold them accountable for when things go wrong when someone releases a mod that severly breaks your game, or just messes everything up. In the end, this is all about timetables and money. If Bethesda didn't make money, we would never have these games in the first place. So I am always one to detest giving Bethesda hell because in the end, that is just how things are =)

Oh and things to help with your game:

Get the Unnoficial Skyrim Patch( MAKE SURE IT IS THE 1.05c BETA, 1.0 DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY WITH 1.6 PATCH AND WILL BREAK YOUR GAME ) http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/files/file/289-unofficial-skyrim-patch/

BE CAREFUL with mods that introduce scripts into your game. Make sure to read everything on the description page( AS YOU ALWAYS SHOULD YOU LAZY BASTERDS, BEING LAZY IS WHY YOUR GAME BREAKS, NOT BECASUE OF MODS ), and the comments section to be aware of possible issues.

On the other hand, patches that Bethesda release that ends up messing up stuff is okay to rip on them for =)

@lolopinky

That is a very strange log. Now, since you are using an alternative start mod, I would say disable that and play a new game for a bit and see if you get a similar CTD. Those mods are known to break important scripts in the base game because of how drastically it changes things.

Get the Unnoficial Skyrim Patch( MAKE SURE IT IS THE 1.05c BETA, 1.0 DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY WITH 1.6 PATCH AND WILL BREAK YOUR GAME ) http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/files/file/289-unofficial-skyrim-patch/

Site appears down. I can get to Dark Creations, but even from there the unofficial skyrim patch gives a server error. Perhaps updating to a later version?

I didn't uninstall/re-install yet, but I did turn all mods off except Clarilux, Apache Skyhair and the HD Pack and started a new game. I got as far as Helgin and hopping off the cart and the killing of the thief who ran by an Imperial archer and then CTD. So there must be stuff in there that the Nexus manager isn't uninstalling correctly.

Project for this coming weekend: uninstall, clean up all the ini files and folders and re-install and see what happens.

A newbie question: can I install Skyrim on another computer using my same Steam account and just download to it, or is it licensed only to one computer and I have to re-purchase? I was thinking of putting it on my notebook and setting all the display items to low and use it for testing mods that I'd like to install on my desktop eventually without corrupting anything on it.

@mike2977

That's wierd because I can get to it just fine right now at the time of posting this.

Hmmm that is a very strange issue. Have you validated your cache through Steam? You may be missing some important things after uninstalling mods.

As far as I know, yes you can put purchases onto other computers that are logged into your Steam account.

They should've made it where the mods are sandboxed so that it doesn't affect game saves. And also implement a robust trace error system where the log would list exactly what mod is causing the problem and what variable, function or call, if any is causing the freeze or crash and also allow the game to output what mods are conflicting before the game even starts. They should've added an extra layer of security for mods to run without errors or conflicts for a smooth gaming experience for the player.

@mike2977

That's wierd because I can get to it just fine right now at the time of posting this.

Hmmm that is a very strange issue. Have you validated your cache through Steam? You may be missing some important things after uninstalling mods.

As far as I know, yes you can put purchases onto other computers that are logged into your Steam account.

Got to the site. I have the latest version so ok.

Not sure how to validate my cache on Steam. I don't see it as one of the drop-downs from the client. Can you point me in the right direction?

I've been reading through this thread and have been fighting with these CTD's, or freezes anyways because the game always EVENTUALLY resumes for me.

But anyways I'm kind of sick of fighting with the mods now so I removed them all, deleted everything related to them and went back to a vanilla version of the game. There are 4 things I did that are not vanilla however.

1.) I am using the ENB Anti-Freeze thing.

2.) I am using the FXAA Post Process Injector.

3.) I am using the HD Texture DLC.

4.) I have the Unofficial Skyrim Patch mod, the updated beta one for 1.6

Other than those, completely vanilla and I will state that even without them this happens anyways. But I started a new game to try to get to the part where my hands are unbound so I'd have a clean save to test mods with. Thing is just starting the game I got a very long freeze on the load screen, I was going to let it slide but not even before Ralof starts chastising Lokir for talking to Ulfric, bam I get a freeze, this one lasting a good couple minutes as well.

Here's my Papyrus log of that entire fiasco, Hopefully someone can tell me what I need to do to make this stop happening, because this specific line in there is getting to be a real headache and it is a recurring one as well: companionshousekeepingscript.SetUpCompanions(

Anyways here's the entire thing

http://pastebin.com/VfNAMVjc

Edited by Keldrath

@mike2977

To validate your game's files, go to your library in Steam, right click on the game you wish to validate( in this case Skyrim ), go to properties at the bottom of the menu, click on the local files tab, then click on verify integrity of game cache files. This will reinstall files that were changed and/or missing. Note that if you do this, mods that made changes to certain things will need to be re-installed.