New Computer Advice?

NomDeKeyz

I want a computer that will run Morrowind, Oblivion, their respective mod managers, construction sets and mods.

I am so frustrated, I hope that asking here will help. Skip the Background and Game History to get to the point.

BACKGROUND:

I recently bought a shiny new zippy computer... apparently too zippy to load XPpro32...

(tho I did manage to get XPpro64 to load onto it, more or less). [it is possible that I can't

get xp32 to load unless I slipstream the xp and sp2 disks onto a single bootable disk?]

During my epic struggle to get my new computer running, I have come across postings

reporting compatibility issues with my hardware... So I am beginning to wonder if I should

get Windows 7 and Skyrim for my new computer, and buy another computer for XPpro32?

The computer that used to run my old games is officially dying/dead. I don't know what

component fried. I can turn it on, but it freezes. Sometimes I can get as far as opening

Oblivion and playing a bit before it locks up; then the only way to recover the computer

functionality is to cut the power by switching the power-strip off and then immediately

switching it back on again, which reboots the computer. Everything is up to date...

recently defragged, and fully scanned with SAS, MBAM and avast!. *BEFUDDLED*

GAME HISTORY:

I have done most misc quests, all Arena/DB/TG/FG quests, I bought all houses-n-stuff,

I still have the amulet in my inventory (so none of the Main Quest/daedric shrine quests).

I start/load my game, run from my house in IC to nearby where I left Shadowmere, mount,

fast travel to a stable near any city (not Kvatch), dismount, run into the city to the local

Mages Guild, Chat with the Guild Head about joining, and then during the conversation

my game will freeze/stutter. I have tried using clean-saves/no mods, I have tried joining

the MG with a new character (an old save of this character at the sewer exit), same thing.

It should also be noted that my computer will lock up at other times as well (during boot-up,

playing solitaire, updating software, loading internet, or when just sitting there doing nothing).

I only listed my repeated game freeze because that is the absolute longest I can get my old

klunker to run while playing Oblivion, and because it will crash during conversation to join the

Mages Guild every time with any guild-head, but will also crash at other random moments...

QUESTION:

Can anyone here recommend an inexpensive laptop with XPpro32 that is currently available?

I am looking to spend a maximum of $200..... I have seen some refurbished computers with

XPpro32 for as little as $130, but I don't want to get one if it won't play Morrowind and Oblivion.

I really don't know what to look for to ensure compatibility with hardware, and if I get a laptop,

I can't exactly swap out the hardware to further tweak its functionality. I am not especially

interested in having more than one desktop tower at my desk in my small living space.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/support. ~Nom

Edited by NomDeKeyz

Thank you AnimalRiot for your reply... I wish my computer worked like yours, ;)

I have read that Oblivion can be played on Windows7 given several other conditions;

one of which is not possible due to an existing hardware incompatibility, so the OS

isn't the only compatibility issue I have with my current computer. Also, I installed

Morrowind, only to find that it does not play properly, nor does it uninstall properly.

I could go on with my issues and reasons for surrender, but that isn't the point...

The point of my query is this: Can someone recommend a laptop with XP32 that

will play both Morrowind and Oblivion, and perhaps some of my other old games?

Another reason a laptop would be an upgrade for me is because my health is ailing;

If *Knock on Wood* I need to be admitted to a hospital, I can take a laptop with me.

I hope to order one by tomorrow. Thanks is advance for any recommendations. ~Nom

Edited by NomDeKeyz

Win7 should run your games without issue. Just don't install to the Program Files folder..... (provided the hardware is up to snuff.)

Only place you are going to find a laptop with XP is probably ebay, or similar sites. Biggest thing you are concerned about is going to be the video solution on the computer. Integrated graphics just won't cut the mustard for Oblivion. You NEED a 'real' video card. Morrowind isn't quite so picky...... Not sure you are going to find one worth a hill of beans for 200......

What are the specs on your new computer?

If you want oblivion to run in "very high" graphics (this is high res textures and maybe even obge) you want atleast 512mb of gpu-ram so it wont lag in some open zones.

I doubt you get a decent laptop with those moneys, in here an old notebook is still around that price and they can be 5 years old which wont even run some flash games without lag.

Thank you HeyYou and Mahtawa for your response. :blush:

Sadly, I have come to the same conclusion you both state;

It isn't likely that I'll come across a laptop with the video

capabilities at such a low cost. Just because it will run XP,

doesn't mean it will run the games. I compared stats on a

few dozen computers, and I did not find one that I felt was

sure to perform what I am hoping to accomplish...

Alas, I am going to keep trying to get these games to work with

what I already own; if all else fails, I'll try to rebuild my old box.

I found some inexpensive comparable used parts for my old box,

and some slightly better new parts at a reasonable/affordable sum.

I may just have to keep two towers at my desk for a while yet...

Again, thank you all for your responses, I appreciate that my own

legwork and conclusions are affirmed by others more in-the-know.

This process is improving my understanding of computer intricacy;

I suppose I should be thankful for the lessons I am being afforded.

If I get things working in the next month, I'll post back. *CheerS*