Is there a way to avoid needing SKSE updates?

bluntblade5

I'm new to modding, and about one week into my first playthrough I've had to update my SKSE which seems to have horkered my saves. I don't fancy having to deal with this every time an update rolls around - is there any way I can sidestep it?

Alternatively if anyone can point me to a good, current guide on smoothly updating SKSE I'd be very grateful.

This video from GamerPoets was recently released addressing the issue and what specifically causes it and how to prevent it (:

Ok, I figured it out. Posting just in case someone else had the same problem as me.

Press Windows + R

Input: steam://nav/console

In the console: download_depot 489830 489833 583541185188584076

navigate to steam/steamapps/content/app_489830/depot_489833

SkyrimSE.exe 1.5.50 is inside folder - delete version 1.5.53 from your game folder and use 1.5.50

Edited by Jintezaku

I'm new to modding, and about one week into my first playthrough I've had to update my SKSE which seems to have horkered my saves. I don't fancy having to deal with this every time an update rolls around - is there any way I can sidestep it?

Alternatively if anyone can point me to a good, current guide on smoothly updating SKSE I'd be very grateful.

Recently, I updated SKSE64 to the latest without having issue and I was able to load my game and saving it.

This is what I did.

1. Downloaded the SKSE64 archive

2. Extract it by "Extract here"

3. Goto into the skse64_2_00_09 folder (latest SKSE64)

4. Select everything, except for the scr folder as it contains the source files for SKSE64

5. Create a new archive, let say skse64 2.00.09.<7z/rar/zip> (depending on what file archiver you use)

6. Extract the new archive into the steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition folder (must be that folder)

7. Delete the skse64_1_5_50.dll file, otherwise SKSE64 won't work properly

All that should work provided that you already have a SKSE64 for SSE shortcut in WIndows, otherwise you need to read the instructions about how to manually install SKSE64.

I play oldrim, but this was a constant hassle when I was playing FO4. It wasn't mentioned in the Gamer Poets video, but for FO4 changing the game's properties in Steam to make it only update on launch wasn't enough. Even with that setting, starting via the SKSE launcher when a game update (i.e. @#$! Creation Club update) was pending would trigger the update. To prevent that from happening, you have to make sure to run Steam (not the game, just Steam - can shut it down right away if you want) at least once in your current session so that the various steam processes are running in the background before you launch SKSE.

I always launched FO4 from a SKSE launcher shortcut, and not my mod manager, so maybe that's why it wasn't mentioned in the Gamer Poets video. I think Mod Organizer might launch steam itself as part of the game launch process? Anyways, if you don't use a mod manager to start Skyrim SE via SKSE, I'd advise to always ensure that you've run steam at some point in your current session. Along with changing your settings to "update only on launch" of course.