Ain't that a Kick in the Head?

tokyobiohazard

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am Dylan, I have a setup not too far from here in an old apartment building." He walks over to Ferox, "Let me get a look at those fingers."

"You obviously haven't had a very good doctor around here. These haven't quite set right. I'm going to have to break them again, so they can grow back right."

While versing "slept", for lack of a better word, he had nightmares about his biggest regret, something that had happened in the Mojave just a few months ago, no more than a year and a half. He couldn't move, not that he noticed. The slightly younger, but much fresher version of him in his dreams, with shaved hair, new armor and rifle, no stubble and better fed moved just fine. Like so many of his fellow soldiers at the time, Versing was sure of the nobility of the NCR and its goals. He led his squad to the right side of the canyon, below the ridge where some 1st recon snipers were set up. Versing had talked with some of them before. Craig and Manny, those two buddies that were a sniper team, Lieutenant Gorobets, and Corporal Sterling, that one guy that used to be a ranger. They were friendly enough people. Craig had a pregnant wife waiting for him back home, and always seemed cheerful enough. He talked about how him, his wife and Manny, (Carla, was it?) would be moving to Novac afterwards. Even in his best moods, Craig was a scary man. Versing didn't want to know what would happen if someone got him angry.

Versing's squad was completely set up, now, just to the right of the rear entrance to the Khan's military base. It was getting dark now, and the NCR forces assaulting the base from the front would be charging in, now. There was screaming, gunfire, general mayhem. The glow of freshly lit fires cast massive shadows on the canyon walls. People started retreating, and streaming out of the rear exit. As ordered, the NCR forces positioned around the exit opened fire, including Versing's squad. It didn't take Versing long to notice that something was very wrong here. He could see the faces of the people retreating from the battle. they weren't soldiers. They were the women, the elderly, the sick...... the children.

As he fired, he watched as he hit somebody: A child, a little boy, no more than twelve years old. They made eye contact as the child fell into the dirt, clearly seeing each other thanks to the glow of the fires. In the child's eyes, all Versing saw was panic. Pure, childish fear, fear that what he perceived as the "bad guys" would get him and his family. Versing only hoped that the kid saw in his eyes how much he regretted this, the sadness. It was only for a brief moment before the child slid into the dirt, but it was enough for Versing. He took action.

"CEASE FIRE!" He practically screamed at his squad. They followed his orders, and he grabbed the radio, yelling at whoever was on the other side. "Sir! We're shooting at the wrong targets!"

"Your orders stand. Shoot until you're out of ammo."

"They're the wounded and the CHILDREN! I just shot a CHILD, you son of a-" he was cut off. A mann who identified himself as Captain Dhatri relayed the situation to a superior over the radio. There was no response from the other side, so he took control of the situation.

"Cease fire! Cease fire! Cease fire!" he commanded. His actions that day would have him promoted to Major. Versing didn't care. To this day, the Bitter Springs Massacre haunted and tainted his memories. The view of the child's face before he fell into the dirt was something that would haunt Versing to his grave. It was what had made him resign from the military, like so many others.

Edited by Flipout6

Morgan sat down, took out his first bottle of booze in a while and laughed while looking at Ferox

"Breaking em again? Oh this is going to be a blast!"

Morgan then looked over in Versing's direction, seeing him resting uneasy; "Or maybe not, better go check on the guy." He then walked over to versing and sat down on his bedroll across him, waiting

Edited by MikeRyan

Dylan took Ferox's hands in his, took off the splints on the fingers, and with precise and fluid movement he snapped each of the fingers back into the correct position. He then wrapped them each back up with their splints. "I don't think you will be doing too much with those," he points to Ferox's hands, "anytime soon."

He then turned to address the group as a whole, "So do you need a doctor? Because I really have nothing better to do - Really..."

Morgan, still watching Versing, answered the doc without looking

"well I could use a doctor to check on my healing process from time to time, jumping up on a deathclaw isn't the brightest of ideas" he pointed to his now missing eye when he said the last part.