Removing the notifications from RemoveAllItems used on player

DiodeLadder

So, here is the panel you can define where the player items will end up at. PrisonMarker placed outside = Exterior Jail Marker, and this marker is a door - you connect the "teleport" setting to the jail cell interior PrisonMarker where player will spawn via SendPlayerToJail. This panel looks unchanged from Skyrim. I'm going to try and see if it'll work.

...I just hope that doing this won't pop up the removed item notifications, lol, that'll drive me nuts.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... It doesn't look like removing items from player works properly with SendPlayerToJail in FO4. I can get the player to move to the jail location, but items won't get removed even after the containers are defined. I'm going to investigate it some more, but I have a feeling this is one of those things that aren't meant to be used in FO4.

How frustrating. :-/

How about home brew hiding the messages behind a load screen:

Game.FadeOutGame(abFadingOut = true, abBlackFade = true, afSecsBeforeFade = 1.0, afFadeDuration = 1.0, abStayFaded = true)
PlayerREF.RemoveAllItems( ... jailcontainer )
PlayerREF.applyPrisonTats()

PlayerREF.MoveTo( ... jailmarker )

;The moveto teleport will fade back in

How about home brew hiding the messages behind a load screen:

Game.FadeOutGame(abFadingOut = true, abBlackFade = true, afSecsBeforeFade = 1.0, afFadeDuration = 1.0, abStayFaded = true)
PlayerREF.RemoveAllItems( ... jailcontainer )
PlayerREF.applyPrisonTats()

PlayerREF.MoveTo( ... jailmarker )

;The moveto teleport will fade back in

Thanks SKK, for taking time to think of a solution! I really appreciate it.

I just tried it, but unfortunately, the problem is that the messages would go on long after the loading screen is done and the player is moved to the jail interior cell. With one of my characters, displaying the entire inventory one by one would take more than 10 minutes, which is actually longer than how long it takes for the player to recover the items in this quest. I think if the player does not have too much stuff, like in the very early stage of the game, your solution could very well work, but for high level characters, a short black out won't be long enough.

I'm going to go over the SendPlayerToJail usage for the last time to see if I've overlooked anything. Otherwise, I guess I'd have to live with having the messages, or rewrite the quest. :-/

ah i see what you mean ^.^

i was also coming on here to sugest hiding the notifications behind a load screen too, just like SKK50 said haha.

so another idea might be to move the UI notification widget out of screen bounds.

another idea might be to force a few blank notifications to pop up and stay up for as long as possible to try and time out the other notifications (if there even is a time limit on showing notifications(?))

((i have no idea about this next one)) -> notifications might only show up on some kind of update, by forcing another update or by forcing the update to stop that might stop the notifications?

i read somewhere that moving the player (by script) 1 unit away can stop things updating properly, maybe that could be a messy workaround if you dont have any other options. :)

Or deliver a "Pol-Pot" user experience and silently reset the player to year zero with nothing but underpants.

Bonus points for publishing that with no warnings :pirate:

hahahahahaha, that actually sounds better than my mod!! :laugh:

This quest I'm working on is a surprise attack on player, though - my mod is a player home mod, and people probably won't be expecting to be thrown deep inside a huge dungeon when they wake up, lol.

ah i see what you mean ^.^

i was also coming on here to sugest hiding the notifications behind a load screen too, just like SKK50 said haha.

so another idea might be to move the UI notification widget out of screen bounds.

another idea might be to force a few blank notifications to pop up and stay up for as long as possible to try and time out the other notifications (if there even is a time limit on showing notifications(?))

((i have no idea about this next one)) -> notifications might only show up on some kind of update, by forcing another update or by forcing the update to stop that might stop the notifications?

i read somewhere that moving the player (by script) 1 unit away can stop things updating properly, maybe that could be a messy workaround if you dont have any other options. :smile:

Thanks SandMouse for suggestions!

Those UI manipulations sure are beyond my abilities, though, lol. I'm pretty new at modding, and it's kind of a miracle that I got as far as I did in my current project, to be honest. The last one you've mentioned, however, is easy to do - a quiet nudge and knock out the notifications. I'll give this one a shot and see if it will work!

Thanks again guys for stepping in. I really appreciate it. :D

...I don't understand why this is so hard to do, though. I think this should be a pretty standard RPG event. :wallbash:

Edited by DiodeLadder

SandMouse, I finally got around to trying out another line of MoveTo to nudge the player one more time and see if the messages get knocked out, but this won't work, either. Messages would continue just like before. :confused: Thanks again for taking time to think of solutions for me, though, I really appreciate it. (I'm sorry about reporting in a little late - I have had to work on some other issues with HC_ related stuff in the past few days. :facepalm: )

After giving it some thoughts, I don't think UI position manipulations would work well for my situation, because the UI would have to be moved out for a very long time period, then moved back in (I would have no way of knowing when the messages end, either).

...I think I'm going to go sit in the corner and cry, lol. :turned:

I guess I'll leave the messages in, and just tell the users that's how FO4 engine works if they complain. I really hate making this kind of excuses, though - this stuff should never happen in the first place.

Edited by DiodeLadder

Could probably get all the inventory items, put them in an array/formlist and then pass the array/formlist into RemoveItem instead and iterate the array.

Sounds inefficient, but I think RemoveAllItems() does just that anyway - calls RemoveItem * number of items, without the silent flag set. Will need F4SE to do this though, for the grab all inventory items part.

Could probably get all the inventory items, put them in an array/formlist and then pass the array/formlist into RemoveItem instead and iterate the array.

Sounds inefficient, but I think RemoveAllItems() does just that anyway - calls RemoveItem * number of items, without the silent flag set. Will need F4SE to do this though, for the grab all inventory items part.

Thanks Rasikko for pitching in the idea, but I don't want to create a dependency for F4SE in this mod, since this is a very little part of the whole package (my mod is a collection of 15 player homes, and this quest is just an additional content). What you say makes sense, though.

I'd never imagined this would be so complicated, lol.

I'm in the process of revisiting SendPlayerToJail function right now. Hopefully my last failed trial was due to my own mistake.