Vortex not starting

Sacrifyx

Hey all,

Vortex started acting up this morning. Was fine last night, last thing I did was add Morrowind as a managed game, then shut it down and went to bed. This morning, it won't launch. It pops up the Vortex logo and just sort of sits there. Never shows as 'not responding' and I don't get anything in the Windows event viewer regarding it, either. Uninstall/reinstall (a few times), same thing. Are there some config files that hang out after uninstall that the new install is reading that I can get rid of or any other suggestions?

Hey all,

Vortex started acting up this morning. Was fine last night, last thing I did was add Morrowind as a managed game, then shut it down and went to bed. This morning, it won't launch. It pops up the Vortex logo and just sort of sits there. Never shows as 'not responding' and I don't get anything in the Windows event viewer regarding it, either. Uninstall/reinstall (a few times), same thing. Are there some config files that hang out after uninstall that the new install is reading that I can get rid of or any other suggestions?

You are double-clicking on the Vortex icon in your desktop and it is not launching except for the Vortex logo but nothing else after ?

Are you getting at least the Vortex window completely empty or blank or simply nothing ?

Did you update to the last version yesterday or not ?

You can uninstall / reinstall Vortex and your data files and mod configuration ( including saved games ) will not be lost in the process so do not worry about that at all.

At this point, if you are trying to log into because you want to download, then yes, you need to have log in to Vortex but if you just want to play your game and you have SKSE / FOSE installed, you can still play by launching the game via Script Extender. You do not need to be logged into Vortex to play your game. Have you tried to play to find out if it is working ?

Yes - I double click the icon and the Vortex logo comes up and nothing else after. The logo will stay there until I kill the process via task manager.

No other windows.

I did a recent update, not sure if it was yesterday but it was certainly working the last time I opened it and no update was performed then.

I'm not worried about losing the data files and configurations, I'm wondering if something in those files is causing the problem and I should clear them out.

And games themselves work, it's just a Vortex thing.

Yes - I double click the icon and the Vortex logo comes up and nothing else after. The logo will stay there until I kill the process via task manager.

No other windows.

I did a recent update, not sure if it was yesterday but it was certainly working the last time I opened it and no update was performed then.

I'm not worried about losing the data files and configurations, I'm wondering if something in those files is causing the problem and I should clear them out.

I will send a PM to one of the Community Manager to help you out.

No other windows.

I will send a PM to one of the Community Manager to help you out.

Hi Sacrifix,

Some users are having the same problem. I am pretty sure the dev team will look in to it. I already sent the PM though.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Unfortunately, we have very little to go on here.

Everything was going fine and then, suddenly, Vortex does not start up anymore? You are saying there is no response whatsoever other than the splashscreen?

Which version of Vortex are you on? Anything unusual that you did? Did you have any other issues before this one occurred?

Yes, just the splash screen, and it will sit on that until I kill the Vortex process in task manager.

Everything was going fine. I loaded it up last night and set Morrowind as a managed game, set up the filepaths that it asked for and then decided I didn't feel like playing, closed the app and shut down the PC.

I came back to it this morning and this is how it's behaving now.

Vortex version 16.10.0

The reason I'm asking about leftover config files during uninstall is that maybe something got jacked up when I added Morrowind last night and I'd like to know if I can revert that or remove the configs and see if it will load at all.