Thoughts on enhancing dependency management of mods

zone22

Nexus will need some fixing for that to work, as you know, going through older mod pages, where mod authors have linked to other mods that either require their mod, or work well with their etc, when you click on them, because they're in the old format with the php? etc and end up being the wrong URLS, there are a virtual TON of these links spread out over the Nexus that need to be updated to the new url format

New Format https://www.nexusmods.com/<game title>/mods/<mod number>/38719/?

Old Format https://www.nexusmods.com/?id=<id number>

Those old links need to be converted site-site, because they only bring you to part of the site with the game, but not to the actual mod page.

I've been working around it by clicking the link, getting to the main game page, copying the MOD ID from the URL, then clicking on any mod in the hot files section, getting to that mod page, then pasting the MOD ID as copied, over the current MOD ID in my browser Address bar.

Nexus would have to convert all of those links they left orphaned when they switched, because a lot of pages with orphaned links aren't being maintained by the mod authors anymore.

Yes that is indeed annoying but I don't see how it affects what's been suggested?

Problem is - there is just no way to guess which mod provides a certain plugin. Even worse: It's not even said that there's just one mod which could provide it.

So what you're asking is that there'd be a huge database of mods, where each mod together with all its plugins is stored. Such a database doesn't exist and it would be an immense task to create one.

Having said that... If you think that what would people make happy, I can only suggest that take the initiative and start such a project. All good community projects were stared by some person with a good idea who took the initiative. Waiting for someone else to do it for you will probably not going to get it done.

Problem is - there is just no way to guess which mod provides a certain plugin. Even worse: It's not even said that there's just one mod which could provide it.

So what you're asking is that there'd be a huge database of mods, where each mod together with all its plugins is stored. Such a database doesn't exist and it would be an immense task to create one.

Having said that... If you think that what would people make happy, I can only suggest that take the initiative and start such a project. All good community projects were stared by some person with a good idea who took the initiative. Waiting for someone else to do it for you will probably not going to get it done.

There is a database already on Nexus that stores what plug-ins belong to what Mods(see below). The only thing that needs to be implemented is hashing which may already exist and some search parameters on nexusmods.

On to your second point I appreciate the encouragement. Although this is something that has to be done through nexusmods and Vortex. Anything that relies on a third-party won't. Automation Is key without intervention. If anything Boss, Loot, and Mod Picker are a testament to that fact.

That's just it no one has to manage the metadata mod authors or users. The hash can be automatically generated when uploading the file by nexus so is the file contents the file manifests already generated.

Go under Main files of any mod on nexusmods. Click on Preview file contents. That contains the file manifest reach mod on nexus contents like 'Hearthstone.esp.

So yes the hash would go out of date when the mod is updated. It is enough to guide the user to the mod page were the download once existed or does exist.

Edit: HadToRegister has noted the technical difficulties in implementing your plan. Do you have any ideas how to go about dealing with those difficulties? However, your idea is still a good one in spite of possible implementation issues.

This would be integrated into nexus and Vortex, Modifying or maintaining URLs should not be required as they wouldn't be user facing.

"Preview file contents" is just a listing of files, probably even created on the fly when clicking the link. That's a far way from creating a database.

And then it still doesn't solve the problem that the same plugin can be in multiple mods.

It might be a starting point to create such a database, granted. But it's still far from trivial. You could suggest it to Dark0ne, he might consider it. But you have to understand that this would still be an immense task. It would make things easier, for sure, but from a business point of view, I'm not sure it would help Nexus that much to warrant the investment.