FCO Discussion - Russell Activation and GECK Issues

Prenihility

I've noticed that the Russell companion has his .esp activated in FCO when you install it even if you didn't choose him as an option to install during installation. Is this correct? I simply left the .esp unchecked after it was checked automatically after installation. Is this the correct thing to do, or is Russell not supposed to be installed automatically? Just a little confused with that. Kind of silly.

Also, the "eyebrowm.nif" file. How can I "disable" it on the fly without having to worry about it conflicting with my GECK? I've been simply uninstalling the mod altogether. I can't figure out how you're supposed to even access the file, or what's considered "disabling" it. There are no files to access. They're all packed in the NV installation. What gives?

"Cause-2: This has been traced to the presence of a specific file that is overwritten by "Fallout Character Overhaul" (FCO): eyebrowm.nif in: Data\meshes\characters\hair.

Solution-2: Remove the troublesome file when using GECK, and restore it when playing. If you put it into a batch (.cmd) file such as the following to launch GECK you won't forget."

What's the best practice here?

Yea, despite picking NOT to use Russel, the FOMOD still installs it.
Just leave it disabled.

I tried everything to get that mod working and no matter how many guides I read, downloading specific versions of the mod etc etc, I ALWAYS ended up with Red Exclamation points everywhere.
Have you had any luck with it?

What's confusing me about those instructions is to disable disable the "eyebrowm.nif" file when using the GECK, but to enable when playing the game.

So, unless you're doing any mod editing, you don't have to do anything with that file.

"Disabling" a NIF file is a simple as changing it's name. I usually just add an additional extension such as ".org", so "eyebrowm.nif" becomes "eyebrowm.nif.org". Then just rename the file without the added ".org" extension to "restore" it. Any other way of altering the filename so what the game engine is looking for does not match works as well.

As pointed out: this only applies if you have problems with using the GECK and have this file installed.

Please see the 'Solutions to Mesh (Red "!" icon) or Texture (solid color) problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article regarding "Red Exclamation" marks.

-Dubious-