Best Fallout 76 Review! Get Excited!

MrJoseCuervo

My son sent me links of two Fallout 76 Youtube reviews. If anyone is interested go to Youtube and type Fallout 76 then look for the reviews. I doubt Bethesda will be discouraged from making future mods, despite the reviews.

Hoping The Elder Scrolls 6 will be a single player game.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaming is not a cult or a an organised religion- but AAA publishers use the well understood psychology of both to 'game' gamers.

Today unpaid Beth cultists, carefully led by a team of PAID 'reputation management' posters in all significant forums online, are defending Fallout:76 with ever more toxic language. And THIS, not the astonishingly poor quality of Fallout:76, is why we should all be so unhappy with Bethesda, and especially Todd Howard.

I once had an association with Activision. The BIG boss proudly told me and my colleague how HE actually wrote the 'reviews' for key Activison games in the key gaming magazines of the time (this was before the Internet age). I didn't doubt this for a second (magazines are slaves to those who provide the major ad revenue- same as the major corporate gaming sites today), but what amazed me is that he felt a need to announce the fact.

Most who enjoy Beth games have no idea how the corporate world works, let alone 'big' gaming. And since many gamers are, shall we say 'special', they are just waiting to be led by the nose by any 'unfortunate' force that happens to emerge at the top of one of these companies.

But many gamers are actually well informed these days- and these are the gamers who have been expressing increasing amounts of outrage at Beth since the announcement of Fallout:76 at E3.

Now it's out, I can say the game is far worse than even I imagined. They did relent, and put in a 'lobby' system to allow people to play with 'friends'- in the end even Todd couldn't stick to his promise that you would be always forced to play with RANDOMS (a thing he really desired to FORCE the player to 'roleplay'- and to prevent hardcore 'power' gamers from teaming up and screaming thru the game in ONE DAY- which as we now know is exactly what happened).

All the planned gaming modes that the original F2P team discussed in that documentary were removed.

No proper multi-player 'dungeons' were designed

No attempt was made to compensate for the player levelling problem- high level players spawn high level monsters in dungeons currently occupied with low level players fighting low level mobs- RUINING the experience of the low level player.

And most sickening, when the infamous nuke goes off, there is NO model replacement for the region of the map nuked. This last I literally could not believe. It seemed so obvious that Beth would have created a second, fully nuked, version of the map- and would use the stand-off time of the initial nuke blast to bring into the current game world a circle of the blasted data centred on the explosion.

The TECHNICAL INCOMPETENCE of Fallout:76 is unlike anything ever seen in the gaming industry before.

FO76 solves literally no problem. It is a pure DEVOLUTION of Fallout 4, while 'borrowing' most of the assets from Fallout 4, and putting NEW assets behind a pay-wall in the microtransaction Atom store.

Oh, for sure, none of this prevents desperate FO76 gamers from inventing their own 'fun' with friends in the game. I saw one stream last nite where the lead was trying to play 'hide-n-seek', tho the fact he 'fast travelled' to hide rather killed the point for his 'friends'. But even here the inability to mod is key.

Say you decide 'TAG' might be fun. With any kid of modding system, modders would quickly bang in nice game mechanisms for ideas like this into FO76. But Todd Howard has banned mods FOR ALL TIME. When Todd has talked of 'mods' and 'private servers', he has made it clear he means PAID 'mods' only available on the Atom Store, and severs RENTED per month from Beth's server farms.

FO76 players are held hostage to game code that exclusively comes from Bethesda- including all future 'game' modes. But FO76 is a failed 'asset flip' (which is why Beth has bribed the big corporate game 'journalism' sites to delay their reviews for as long as possible), and is not going to see significant investment in the future. It will be MORE important for FO76 to train Beth's customers to the new reality- and that means no more mods, and most of the new content in a 60 dollar+ game locked behind pay-walls.

Todd Howard again has stated with absolute clarity that Starfield, Fallout 6 (yes, Fallout:76 is Fallout:5) and Elder Scrolls Next will all be on the hopeless ancient Gamebryo engine, just like Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout:76. No traditional Beth game using this engine could possibly be successful on the new consoles coming from Microsoft and Sony next year- but Todd's new 'trad' games are not even due any time in the next THREE years. This paradox is simply answered. Fallout 4 was the END of the line. All future Beth products (in this game genre) will have the form of FO76, or monetised MOBILE games. IF a game called Starfield does eventually release, it will be nothing like the game Skyrim and Fallout (before 76) fans might imagine. No- it will be primitive, dumbed down mobile rubbish- with microtransaction markets designed by leading exploitation psychologists to extract the maximum amount of money from children and vulnerable adults. And it won't need any form of leading edge 3D engine.

But today, even the shilliest of 'pro' gaming journalist is hit for six by the state of Fallout:76. Even if they do their best to hold their nose, any gaming critique has to be negative. So, as one or two emerging PAID reviews on Metacritic proves, the most sensible simply embrace the corruption and scream "this is the best Fallout game EVAR!!111!!!1" (I kid you not, the best 'professional' review for Fallout:76 on Metacritic at this time has this exact form). In fairness, most current 'pro' reviews there hate the game.

Anyway, today Beth's greatest crime was not Fallout:76 itself, but using this game to turn what was once the nicest gaming community fully toxic. Todd's war on free third party mods, war on the GAMER'S ability to mod their own game in whichever direction they desire, and war on traditional fans of Skyrim and Fallout who expect some actually content for their 60 dollars, and expect ALL the game content (excluding major DLCs) to be freely and EASILY available without spending money on microtransactions, has ruined the community forever. What we had before is never coming back.

Instead we old school Beth fans become the luddites and hermits- saddos holding on to our ever aging heavily modded copies of Fallout 3/nv/4 and Skyrim. Believe me, the demonisation of our group will explode over the next couple of years. Modders will become 'moral criminals' stealing the very bread from the mouths of the 'real' developers.

There is no morality at Zenimax, or love of gamers or gaming. There is but pure greed. In any industry greed and the needs of customers CAN coincide, but just as often or even moreso it will diverge. Beth made BILLIONS from Fallout 4 and Skyrim thanks to YOU- but in the end that was not enough for Zenimax.

Yes, Fallout:76 is a commercial failure, but that is not the point. Fallout:76 is the future. Gaming as a service. Pay 60 dollars for a cheap asset flip, and then pay and pay and pay and pay and pay for microtransactions to gain access to the 'new' content. Get it right and it ain't a billion dollars of sale for a title, but billion after billion after billion for a game with maybe even more money being made a couple of years after release.

And why do people whine so loudly over one particular publisher doing what all the big boys are doing? Because sadly ONLY Beth made this genre of games where the modding community could have such a wonderful impact. By some curse of fate- there are no alternative publishers.

My dream was Nexus using its resources to back OPEN SOURCE replacements for Fallout and Elder Scrolls- entire RPG ecosystems designed and supported by the free modding community. Not using Beth's IPs, obviously, but mining the SAME sources of inspiration that Elder Scrolls and Fallout used themselves. It could still happen- a kickstarter would raise an insane amount here for such projects.

But in the meantime the backlash at Fallout:76 is really recognition that a Golden Age has ended.

My son sent me links of two Fallout 76 Youtube reviews. If anyone is interested go to Youtube and type Fallout 76 then look for the reviews. I doubt Bethesda will be discouraged from making future mods, despite the reviews.

Hoping The Elder Scrolls 6 will be a single player game.

I'm hoping it will be too, I mean what would the point be in turning into an online game, when there is ESO.

LOL, thank god I didn't pay actual money for this crap. Fallout franchise is officially dead. No amount of modding is going to save this game. Before Fallout 4 was released, I actually thought Bethesda would learn from FO3 and NV. Boy I was wrong.

They slowly stripped away core aspects of what makes it a Fallout game. With this absurdity called FO76 they just took it out back and put it out of it's misery. This is Bethesda beta testing their live service game with Creation Club only mods and micro-transaction.

I'm sure TESO 6 most likely be SP, especially after this fiasco. Don't get too excited because Beth announced that Starfield and ESO 6 will be using the same old outdated game engine.

Bethesda basically were given a pass back in the days since they argue that it's easy to mod using this engine. Then the hardworking modders went to work to fix all their bugs and make it look pretty. Now people are just fed up with a game that's crap full of bugs and getting charged full AAA price.

Todd Howard again has stated with absolute clarity that Starfield, Fallout 6 (yes, Fallout:76 is Fallout:5) and Elder Scrolls Next will all be on the hopeless ancient Gamebryo engine, just like Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout:76. No traditional Beth game using this engine could possibly be successful on the new consoles coming from Microsoft and Sony next year- but Todd's new 'trad' games are not even due any time in the next THREE years. This paradox is simply answered. Fallout 4 was the END of the line. All future Beth products (in this game genre) will have the form of FO76, or monetised MOBILE games. IF a game called Starfield does eventually release, it will be nothing like the game Skyrim and Fallout (before 76) fans might imagine. No- it will be primitive, dumbed down mobile rubbish- with microtransaction markets designed by leading exploitation psychologists to extract the maximum amount of money from children and vulnerable adults. And it won't need any form of leading edge 3D engine.

Here's the glory of it all: Bethesda is not the only developer, nor is Zenimax the only publisher. I played a lot of games before either was born. I have a lot of other games from other developers and publishers. I don't have to play any Bethesda game ever again, should I choose—and I have LOTS of choice. Should little Todd Howard destroy Bethesda, I will be fine, as will every one else here. They are, after all, just video games, and—by and large—a sad waste of time and money. There are countless wonderful things you all can do with your time and money aside from playing regurgitated Bethesda video games.

Bethesda can be shuttered tomorrow, and it will not be the end of the world. No one needs them. There are other games. There is more to life.

Personally, I am hoping Bethesda upper management is sacked. Then again, maybe they're just doing what Zenimax told them to do, and a change of guard would make no difference, other than to deflect blame.

There are other games, and life is too short to fuss over these idiots.

Ironic thing about the mods: They became a thing because Bethesda never patched its own broken games. Maybe little Todd Howard hates mods, but none of his games would work without them.

Edited by SirGalahad