Script Reference Failure after Sea of Destiny

elosznik

Hello again,

There was no trouble with my Morrowind for a very long time, been through many mods and had great fun. But recently, after finding Sea of Destiny mod and installing it manually file by file with no overwriting of any data, an issue happened.

Firstable as a precaution I removed Siege at Firemoth add-on due to it's cells colliding with Sea of Destiny. I did it troublelessly, only with it's land remaining only on a world map. Then, after installing Sea of Destiny master file with it's plugin, I got these messages while loading a savegame:

Unable to find reference for global script:

"BloodmoonMain"

"MirisaTeleport"

"Plant2Script"

"SmugDeadScript"

"BladefixScript"

"GetPCGold"

I know some of them refer to Bloodmoon and Tribunal, and these have absolutely nothing to do with the mod, been around the map for a while and so far I didn't experience any error or crash. Sea of Destiny land looks OK without checking it precisely, so as Mournhold and Solstheim on a first eyesight. After saving and reloading again, these messages cease to show up. Looks even pretty fine for now and I hope it stays this way.

My question is, is it a common type messages while modding, is it something serious I should care about? Does it mean there's a serious mod conflict/corruption, or is it just a resultant common thing while major modding and adding new master files? Tell me what you think, cause I don't know if I should continue my game, I'm not sure if it remains unbugged forever, after some progress I won't be able to withdraw the mod and recover game progress, so now I'm waiting.

My current mods in use: untitled.JPG

Hello again,

There was no trouble with my Morrowind for a very long time, been through many mods and had great fun. But recently, after finding Sea of Destiny mod and installing it manually file by file with no overwriting of any data, an issue happened.

Firstable as a precaution I removed Siege at Firemoth add-on due to it's cells colliding with Sea of Destiny. I did it troublelessly, only with it's land remaining only on a world map. Then, after installing Sea of Destiny master file with it's plugin, I got these messages while loading a savegame:

Unable to find reference for global script:

"BloodmoonMain"

"MirisaTeleport"

"Plant2Script"

"SmugDeadScript"

"BladefixScript"

"GetPCGold"

I know some of them refer to Bloodmoon and Tribunal, and these have absolutely nothing to do with the mod, been around the map for a while and so far I didn't experience any error or crash. Sea of Destiny land looks OK without checking it precisely, so as Mournhold and Solstheim on a first eyesight. After saving and reloading again, these messages cease to show up. Looks even pretty fine for now and I hope it stays this way.

My question is, is it a common type messages while modding, is it something serious I should care about? Does it mean there's a serious mod conflict/corruption, or is it just a resultant common thing while major modding and adding new master files? Tell me what you think, cause I don't know if I should continue my game, I'm not sure if it remains unbugged forever, after some progress I won't be able to withdraw the mod and recover game progress, so now I'm waiting.

My current mods in use: untitled.JPG

I think those messages mean that those scripts should be on an object in the game world somewhere. But that object can't be found.

You can get the exact error message from your warnings.txt file (recreated at each game load).

You can get a copy & paste version of your mod list from the bottom of morrowind.ini Can't be arsed to download a picture.

If you're adding and removing mods from an active playthrough then I'd recommend running the Morrowind Code Patch on your copy of morrowind.exe and using Wrye Mash

Not sure how many mods you have but running mlox wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Dragon32

Well, mlox was not enough to fix it but I've found a 2018 version of Wrye Mash with it's installer, did master files updates and repair all command to mods and savegames. And I can say there's no more script error messages, just missing references from Firemoth during first loading, but it's normal in this case because I just have the Firemoth removed. I can even notice the game running some kind of "smoothier" maybe? I don't know why I haven't found this tool before.

Thank You Dragon32, you're my Obi-Wan-Kenobi. There's only one little thing remaining - Sea of Destiny mod however somehow interferes one cell east of Vivec where actually two of my mods are already in use. After installing Sea of Destiny one cell east of Vivec became brown-terrained as an unexplored one, and the conflict there appears as a single crack in the ground with the sky texture shining beneath. It's not that disturbing, but... well, it is to me. Is there some way to fix the terrain? Some terrain editor, or maybe some tools you've already mentioned have such an ability to cover this crack with few square feet of ground?

Assume that Wrye Mash is Polemos' fork? It looks really good. If I ever get back into Morrowind I want to check that out.

Anyway, that seam could be because of a dirty edit in SoD to a vanilla CELL record.

Have a read of this by abot - http://abitoftaste.altervista.org/morrowind/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=43&catid=46&Itemid=10&-Mod-cleaning-using-TESTool-and-TESFaith

Another good cleaning tool is tes3cmd. abot again - http://abitoftaste.altervista.org/morrowind/index.php?option=content&Itemid=10&task=view&id=53&-Morrowind-modding-for-smarties-part-3-tes3lint-tes3cmd-and-TESTool

I'd probably just give TESTool (GUI) and/or tes3cmd (command line) a whirl first and see how you do.

So, test3cmd does not work at all, I can't even properly launch it, there's just sort of DOS window for a second and then it disappears. Did cleanse with TESTool but it did not fix the crack. After reading the whole thing I realize (maybe I'm wrong), that it is a simple but unresolvable conflict - the cell has a different terrain in every mod included there and they just meet each other in the game, three different shapes od shore - correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have to change the land exactly the same way in all 3 mods, atom by atom to make it look untouched. I'm a little scared of such sculpting right now. Unless there's a different way, I guess I'll just have to plug it with spawning some rocks...

Oh no, an update - the TESTool actually deleted half of NPC's and objects which were actually OK. It has only made things worse. Now I have to implement a backup I've thankfully made and make Wrye mash cleanse and Code Patch installs all over again...

Edited by elosznik

So, test3cmd does not work at all, I can't even properly launch it, there's just sort of DOS window for a second and then it disappears.

<snip>

Yeah, it's a commandline program. No UI. It does work, maybe a batch file would be better for you

<snip>

After reading the whole thing I realize (maybe I'm wrong), that it is a simple but unresolvable conflict - the cell has a different terrain in every mod included there and they just meet each other in the game

<snip>

If it's a conflict caused by intentional edits to CELL records then cleaning won't help. tes3cmd and TESTool will remove all records from plugins which exactly match those in your active ESMs, so-called dirty records. That, in a number of cases but not this, can fix these kind of errors.

Oh no, an update - the TESTool actually deleted half of NPC's and objects which were actually OK.

<snip>

As I say, tes3cmd and TESTool will only remove records from plugins which exactly match those in your loaded ESMs. There is no need for a plugin to have those records as they're already in the ESMs. After cleaning the plugins did you update your save in Wrye Mash? References in the game could've got mis-matched because the plugin(s) changed

My guess is it was really due to varied cell edits. I decided to use a backup copy of the whole game, did Wrye Mash all over again, and so as Code Patch and I gave up removing the crack problem with programs and scripts. I've finally plugged the crack with line of shore rocks, some plants, shells :smile: using placatpc, setpos and rotate commands, and I can say, it looks really neat, like it was never there. For now there are no problems visible and I hope it stays this way for the rest of my gameplay. What was the most important, got thankfully fixed, there are no more script failures and mod conflicts, everything's running smoothly and I can enjoy all mods I have. That's what I counted for, so we can assume my problems have been solved.

Edited by elosznik