In the process of swapping to Vortex, some feedback...

kenobi1

So I began the long, long slog of making the switch from NMM to Vortex (I had the archive error when trying to import directly, so I had to redownload everything via Vortex >_< I get that's a NMM issue but it's still massively annoying and makes the import option kinda useless since NMM is almost guaranteed to mess up installs....anyway...) for my FO4 mods, and while I see the potential Vortex has to be better, there's some irritations (some worse than others) I've come across right off the bat...

First up, a relatively minor one-mod organization/categorization. The way it's set up currently just seems clunky and counter-intuitive. If I select a category-say, Armor-it shows armor. All well and good so far, but then say I want to swap to Body, Face, and Hair. Click that, and then the list shows everything from BOTH categories...and this continues with each new category you select, requiring you do DE-select the category you're on before selecting a new one. The mods also aren't displayed in alphabetical order by default, and there seems to be no way to enable this either. Again, this is a relatively minor annoyance, but it DOES make navigation more frustrating than it needs to be, especially when you're used to NMM which was alphabetical sorting in each category.

The major annoyance I have has to do with mod conflicts. There are files in mods that don't actually do anything relevant to the game or the mod that show as conflicts. For example, I installed the Wasteland Grunts mod, and a while later installed a retexture of the Grey Tortoise cigarette boxes. Suddenly Vortex is telling me there's a conflict, and I'm baffled because the two mods have nothing to do with each other...check which file is conflicting, and lo and behold, it's the fracking README for both mods.

Me:

qY4Prfc.gif

I had a similar issue with a bunch of the weapon mods I use, where an .ini file that was identical between all the mods (not just in name, there was no new info added to the file) showed as a conflict....so for about 30 mods every time I click install, I have to resolve a new conflict....that isn't truly a conflict. Now granted, with the latter situation, NMM also showed it as a 'conflict', but the way you fixed it was more streamlined-clicking 'Overwrite all' when the popup came up-than setting an individual rule via a drop down for each mod the mod you're installing conflicts with. But I'm laughing because while NMM could most certainly be derpy as all hell, it was at least still smart enough to know a readme file was inconsequential and to not bother with an overwrite, much less include it in the actual installation of a mod.

This might not be a big deal for people who only use a few mods, but I've got 300+ installs to go through, as do many others who make use of the Nexus. 'Dis gon' git old fast.

Now granted, I'm no coder, but these are such simple things I feel like there has to be a way to address/fix these issues, no?

So I began the long, long slog of making the switch from NMM to Vortex (I had the archive error when trying to import directly, so I had to redownload everything via Vortex >_< I get that's a NMM issue but it's still massively annoying and makes the import option kinda useless since NMM is almost guaranteed to mess up installs....anyway...) for my FO4 mods, and while I see the potential Vortex has to be better, there's some irritations (some worse than others) I've come across right off the bat...

First up, a relatively minor one-mod organization/categorization. The way it's set up currently just seems clunky and counter-intuitive. If I select a category-say, Armor-it shows armor. All well and good so far, but then say I want to swap to Body, Face, and Hair. Click that, and then the list shows everything from BOTH categories...and this continues with each new category you select, requiring you do DE-select the category you're on before selecting a new one. The mods also aren't displayed in alphabetical order by default, and there seems to be no way to enable this either. Again, this is a relatively minor annoyance, but it DOES make navigation more frustrating than it needs to be, especially when you're used to NMM which was alphabetical sorting in each category.

The major annoyance I have has to do with mod conflicts. There are files in mods that don't actually do anything relevant to the game or the mod that show as conflicts. For example, I installed the Wasteland Grunts mod, and a while later installed a retexture of the Grey Tortoise cigarette boxes. Suddenly Vortex is telling me there's a conflict, and I'm baffled because the two mods have nothing to do with each other...check which file is conflicting, and lo and behold, it's the fracking README for both mods.

Me:

qY4Prfc.gif

I had a similar issue with a bunch of the weapon mods I use, where an .ini file that was identical between all the mods (not just in name, there was no new info added to the file) showed as a conflict....so for about 30 mods every time I click install, I have to resolve a new conflict....that isn't truly a conflict. Now granted, with the latter situation, NMM also showed it as a 'conflict', but the way you fixed it was more streamlined-clicking 'Overwrite all' when the popup came up-than setting an individual rule via a drop down for each mod the mod you're installing conflicts with. But I'm laughing because while NMM could most certainly be derpy as all hell, it was at least still smart enough to know a readme file was inconsequential and to not bother with an overwrite, much less include it in the actual installation of a mod.

This might not be a big deal for people who only use a few mods, but I've got 300+ installs to go through, as do many others who make use of the Nexus. 'Dis gon' git old fast.

Now granted, I'm no coder, but these are such simple things I feel like there has to be a way to address/fix these issues, no?

Problem 1: Mod organization/categorization. Go to the mod search boxes and select Armour in the Category search box. Then select Body, Face, and Hair. The list shows the mods from both categories, but you then decide you want only the Armour list. Look at the Category search box, and it will show "x Armour x Body, Face, and Hair." Click the "x" beside Body, Face, and Hair to remove that list, thus leaving you with the Armour list. You don't have to deselect one category to select another, if by "deselect" you mean empty the search box totally. This Vortex feature allows you to look at several categories together, which I sometimes find helpful. As for alphabetical order, go to the Category search box and select Armour. Then go left to Mod Name and click on it to alphabetize your Armour list.

Problem 2: Mod conflicts. For those conflicts which aren't really conflicts, just select the rule "Conflicts with," save it, and deploy. You only have to do that for one member of a conflicting pair. Leave the other member set to "No rule." The Vortex message "There are unsolved file conflicts" will then change to "Some mod dependencies are not fulfilled." Then launch your game and start playing - Vortex won't stop you. As for the "readme" business, I can understand your irritation. At the same time, however, I appreciate the fact that it's not up to Vortex to decide what is and is not a consequential element of a mod. Vortex lets me make that decision.

Problem 1: Mod organization/categorization. Go to the mod search boxes and select Armour in the Category search box. Then select Body, Face, and Hair. The list shows the mods from both categories, but you then decide you want only the Armour list. Look at the Category search box, and it will show "x Armour x Body, Face, and Hair." Click the "x" beside Body, Face, and Hair to remove that list, thus leaving you with the Armour list. You don't have to deselect one category to select another, if by "deselect" you mean empty the search box totally. This Vortex feature allows you to look at several categories together, which I sometimes find helpful. As for alphabetical order, go to the Category search box and select Armour. Then go left to Mod Name and click on it to alphabetize your Armour list.

That's what I meant, is that IMO, selecting the new category should automatically DE select the previous, so you only view one category at a time. If I'm looking at Armor, and wanna look at Body/Face/Hair, I don't want to have to click the 'x' on Armor to view JUST Body/Face/Hair. It's annoying and wastes time when you're trying to do stuff as quickly as possible and jumping between categories a lot. And yeah, I found the alphabetical sorting thing, the arrows were so dang tiny I missed em the first few dozen times >_<

Problem 2: Mod conflicts. For those conflicts which aren't really conflicts, just select the rule "Conflicts with," save it, and deploy. You only have to do that for one member of a conflicting pair. Leave the other member set to "No rule." The Vortex message "There are unsolved file conflicts" will then change to "Some mod dependencies are not fulfilled." Then launch your game and start playing - Vortex won't stop you. As for the "readme" business, I can understand your irritation. At the same time, however, I appreciate the fact that it's not up to Vortex to decide what is and is not a consequential element of a mod. Vortex lets me make that decision.

See.....this would be helpful information to have in the tutorials. I saw that option, but had no idea what it did, so I left it alone, and both the official tutorials and Google searching didn't turn up any vids where that particular option was explained....but even still, handling it that way is more time consuming than it needs to be, because you still have to set a rule via a drop down for each mod, rather than a one-click-resolves-all method. And again....NMM never had issues telling the difference between a consequential file and an inconsequential one. Why can't Vortex?

I also have another MASSIVE irritation now....I have a mod, I don't know which one, that Vortex says is fine, has all dependencies resolved...and yet the game CTD's 5 seconds into the main menu, the crash log saying it's because it's looking for the ONE workshop DLC I don't have, but doesn't say what element of the game needs the DLC...and I'm so poor right now I don't even have the $5 to burn on getting it (never mind about the whole 'principle of the thing' in regards to buying DLC I don't really want just to get the game/mods working). I went through each mod's description, and none of them say 'requires all DLC'. So now after spending 8-10 hours finegling everything to get it all installed, make a merge patch (which I HATE doing), getting body and outfit meshes back to what I want....I have to go back and turn off each of my 300+ mods individually, boot the game, and see if it crashes. Which is going to take ungodly hours more. All because Vortex is apparently lying about everything being kosher.

Kind of wishing I'd just stuck with NMM, but noooooo, I had to say to myself 'May as well swap now since NMM is no longer supported and Vortex cleans up bloat...' -__-

you cant blame vortex, or any mod manager for that matter, if you decide to download a mod that depends on dlc you dont have.

I kinda can, partially, if said mod doesn't say anywhere that it requires DLC (as I said, I checked, even though I looked when downloading everything, thinking maybe I had just missed it) and the manager is telling me all is well. That's kind of one of it's jobs, to notify a user when there's an issue-more so with Vortex, which is supposed to actively notify you, than NMM, which did it passively by highlighting an .esp in red in the load list screen. Clearly there's an issue, and yet Vortex says there isn't. Therefore it's not performing it's job.

The odd thing is, it's literally all the same mods I was using with NMM, haven't downloaded anything new, but I didn't have the crashes before I swapped to Vortex, and while I'm not a programmer by any means, I don't get how merely swapping manager apps but still having all the same game and mod files would suddenly cause a crash.

Edited by kenobi1