resuming downloads after interruption

earthdude

Hi all,

I've been trying to download several large mods on the order of gigabytes. During this time, it is not uncommon for the download speed to drop to zero. The download may resume on its own, but sometimes if you Pause, then Resume, the download will continue where it left off. Sometimes (too frequently), Vortex just says the download failed and there is no way to recover the download. When this happens frequently halfway through or further along one of these large mods, it is really frustrating having to continually restart these downloads.

I'm wondering if there isn't a way to resume/repair the connection rather than just saying the download link is no longer available with the only option to delete the download? It seems like this should be possible since sometimes I might start a download at work and then resume it when I'm home (and I don't always remember to pause the download in between).

Thanks!

For what it's worth, I second this suggestion. Even starting over from 0(zero) would be better than what's currently in place, which is having to go back to the Nexus webpage for the mod in question, and clicking on the download link again.

EDIT

Seriously, what is UP with these downloads? I've had 8 out of 10 mods fail to download and presently the only 2 downloading are at 0 B/s

Unless Nexus itself changes the way the download links work (and that's unlikely), there's nothing Votrex can do about it. Which mod you're actually download is controlled in the Nexus website (THAT's where you click the link), and this link gets invalid after a while.

Vortex is just not able to fix that on its own.

Unless Nexus itself changes the way the download links work (and that's unlikely), there's nothing Votrex can do about it. Which mod you're actually download is controlled in the Nexus website (THAT's where you click the link), and this link gets invalid after a while.

Vortex is just not able to fix that on its own.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Unless they're good for an exceptionally long time, Nexus Mods doesn't generate random links for file downloads. I just downloaded the same file from the the same direct link link that was provided to me 24 hours ago, and it worked again.

Also, Nexus Mod Manager, Vortex's predecessor, had the ability to restart/resume failed downloads.

The next version will have better support for resuming downloads.

Without wanting to go into the details: there are good technical reasons, mostly relevant to us internally, we didn't want to do resume the exact same way NMM did. We first needed a change to the API which has been completed recently.

Right now you can only resume a download that has already started downloading, pending downloads can not be resumed after you've closed/restarted Vortex.

Once a download is started, it can only be resumed for half an hour or so because after that the link becomes invalid.