Yeah, Texas, good luck with that...

Deleted472477User

K-12 education in Texas is one of the worst in the nation. And it has been like this for some time. Abandoning outcome-based education would be a positive step for Texas. But of course the blogosphere has picked up on this story and portrayed it as the Texas dumb dumb party opposing critical thinking in itself, and not the BS teaching method that emphasizes ambiguous and subjective values and attitudes over actual objective academic subjects.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and not the BS teaching method that emphasizes ambiguous and subjective values and attitudes over actual objective academic subjects.

Which will always exist when politicians and interest groups have an equal, or greater say over educational curriculum as people who teach said curriculum or those who doctorates in education and childhood development.

The tinfoil lining here is that most of those methods of right-think, and doublethink don't always work so well in practice. Politicians may not be too keen on critical thinking skills, but most functioning adults need some level of critical thinking skills in order to do any job successfully. Meaning that if this stands in law long enough, Texas may need to be importing 99% of their work force, or atleast just 99% of mechanics, janitors, doctors, nurses, architects, builders, machinists, programmers, engineers (oh wait, they already outsource those), shop owners, accountants, lawyers, police, and pretty much anyone who plays any part with the running of society.

So, you can't teach evolution to anyone, is it might challenge their beliefs? Oh gee, should we not teach geography either, so we don't offend the flat-earthers?

BRILLIANT!!!!

What are you talking about? There are others who believe evolution is false, and they do not subscribe to the flat earth theory?

Acebopata, I think you may have missed HeyYou's point just a tad. I do not believe he was equating those who do not believe in evolution with those who believe in a flat earth. Perhaps I am wrong, but I believe he was attempting to suggest that challenging beliefs "WHATEVER THEY MIGHT BE" ought to be encouraged, not only by our school systems, but by parents, individual teachers, governments, even religious organizations. We should be encouraging the thought process in our young people. This is how they grow into mature "THINKING" adults.

and not the BS teaching method that emphasizes ambiguous and subjective values and attitudes over actual objective academic subjects.

Which will always exist when politicians and interest groups have an equal, or greater say over educational curriculum as people who teach said curriculum or those who doctorates in education and childhood development.

The tinfoil lining here is that most of those methods of right-think, and doublethink don't always work so well in practice. Politicians may not be too keen on critical thinking skills, but most functioning adults need some level of critical thinking skills in order to do any job successfully. Meaning that if this stands in law long enough, Texas may need to be importing 99% of their work force, or at least just 99% of mechanics, janitors, doctors, nurses, architects, builders, machinists, programmers, engineers (oh wait, they already outsource those), shop owners, accountants, lawyers, police, and pretty much anyone who plays any part with the running of society.

Yeah, well I just don't get it. I wish they would just secede and be done with it and stop infecting the rest of the country with stupid. Oh, and they can take Arizona with them. Gods know, Liberals get their share of stupid on too, but I don't understand what it is about the other side that makes them so anti-thought, other than what I said in the original post. I don't recall there being one thing in the Bible along the lines of "Yea verily, if you are smart and think for yourself, then you will go to hell."

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

If too many people actually think, they might realize that the politicians are no good and will vote them out of offices. So instead of straightening out their act, they try to make us completely brain dead.

Always so droll to see a good old Conservative bashing by liberals. Which brings to mind an anecdote...

"A teacher in District #3 (NYC) asked her 6th grade class how many of them were Obama fans. Not really knowing what an Obama fan was, but wanting to be liked by the teacher, all the kids raised their hands except for Little Johnny.

The teacher asked Little Johnny why he decided to be different... again.

Little Johnny said, 'Because I'm not a Obama fan.'

The teacher said, 'Why aren't you an Obama fan?'

Little Johnny said, 'Because I'm a Republican.'

The teacher asked why was he a Republican and little Johnny answered, 'Well, my Mom's a Republican and my Dad's a Republican, so I'm a Republican.'

The teacher asks, 'If your Mom was a moron and your Dad was an idiot, what would that make you?'

With a big smile, Little Johnny replied, 'That would make me an Obama fan!' "-New York Post

Always so droll to see a good old Conservative bashing by liberals. Which brings to mind an anecdote...

"A teacher in District #3 (NYC) asked her 6th grade class how many of them were Obama fans. Not really knowing what an Obama fan was, but wanting to be liked by the teacher, all the kids raised their hands except for Little Johnny.

The teacher asked why was he a Republican and little Johnny answered, 'Well, my Mom's a Republican and my Dad's a Republican, so I'm a Republican.'

The teacher asks, 'If your Mom was a moron and your Dad was an idiot, what would that make you?'

With a big smile, Little Johnny replied, 'That would make me an Obama fan!' "-New York Post

Aurelius, if you can honestly tell me that what Texas is doing is a good idea, and why, then I will happily reconsider my stance.

Would you prefer to see conservatives bashing conservatives instead? I know I would.

(BTW it's a small 'c' in conservative, it might not matter to you, but to people who deal with politics outside the USA, where mainstream political parties actually have these names and Liberal, liberal, Conservative and conservative mean 4 different things, it's a distinction that matters.)

There is nothing wrong with being conservative, there is everything wrong for being anti-thought. I don't understand, you can't remove critical thinking when most high level jobs require it.

Although I did not make any such remarks, I would like to personally apologize for any conservative vs liberal comments made in this thread. In my humble opinion, this issue is just about stupid, plain and simple. Both sides make stupid decisions, but I to not believe this particular thread was intended to be an us vs them type of thread. If the OP had that intention, I apologize and will step back and say, "have at it, ya'll". Oh, and please pass me some grits so I can watch.:biggrin: I prefer mine with salt, pepper and butter, please.