Finish the quest "The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller without whirlwind

SmexyPenguin18

I just started my second play through of skyrim and I'm stuck on this quest. I'm at the part with the gates that open as you walk past the stones. I know exactly what I need to do, but I don't have whirlwind sprint. I think I should have gotten it by now. Did I just miss it while doing a previous quest? I pretty much only have the option of leaving this dungeon just to go get the shout.

The Greybeards should have taught you one word of Whirlwind Sprint when you first went to High Hrothgar ("The Way of the Voice"), and made you demonstrate it by sprinting through the gate in the courtyard. As far as I know, there is no way to get the Horn quest without fully completing "The Way of the Voice". I don't see how you could have missed Whirlwind Sprint because there just isn't any way to skip parts of that quest.

If you do have to leave to get a word, I would suggest going to Dead Men's Respite, since that should be easier than Volskygge.

That's the most frustrating quest in the whole game, in my opinion. I hate that quest! I wouldn't even attempt it until you got all three whirlwind sprints, otherwise it's an exercise in frustration. You don't HAVE to have all three whirlwind sprints, but it helps keep you sane if you do.

There is no way to get past those stones without at least the first whirlwind shout. As BrettM points out, there is no way to get the quest without going through the prerequisite quest which teaches the whirlwind shout.

Getting through with one shout is easy actually. Stand between the first two rocks to open the first two gates, use Whirlwind Sprint and then just run through the last gate. You can press the shout button twice, one after another, to sprint almost all the way through as the power allows two shouts in succession.

There is no way to get past those stones without at least the first whirlwind shout.

This is not entirely true. You can collect multiple followers and command them to wait next to the stones and open the doors. Once through, they remain open.

Never had any issue with this whatsoever, I just line myself up a way behind the stones, start running and hit whirlwind just before the third stone activates.

It's dead easy compared to the ultra difficult fiddly jumps requiring absolutely split-second timing, and impossible acts of balance on tiny beams in some older games. And they killed you when you failed and took you back all the way to the start of the level.

Pesky kids today they've got it so easy :D I remember the days when you had to be some kind of Zen Buddhist master to get through a level without smashing your joystick in frustration.

Oh yeah, and clicky microswitches. They were irritating, and they didn't last 5 seconds on a good stick-waggler.

There is no way to get past those stones without at least the first whirlwind shout.

This is not entirely true.

True, one could also just console tcl and walk through as well.