Creating a new weapon from scratch

rickygoalie7

I have no clue what kind of skills you have but here:

You start with a plane, select edges and extrude. Try to work in quads. Just searching "3ds max sword tutorial" will yield tons of results. I have no clue where you couldn't find any.

I have no clue what kind of skills you have but here:

You start with a plane, select edges and extrude. Try to work in quads. Just searching "3ds max sword tutorial" will yield tons of results. I have no clue where you couldn't find any.

Its becuase I was looking for skyrim tutorials not just sword :P Thanks!

I have no clue what kind of skills you have but here: ...

Its becuase I was looking for skyrim tutorials not just sword :P Thanks!

In case you're completely new: don't use turbosmooth for any model that you want to use in-game. Watch his entire series and you'll see that he removes the turbosmooth modifier later on and removes edges and polys.

Turn on statistics and show triangles. Less than 10k and you're in the blue. A normal sword for Skyrim is at around 1.5k-2.5k. Those are run of the mill, dull models. If it has more features, curves or sculpts don't worry if it goes up to 5k. A modern computer can handle it. There are swords from Oblivion with around 5k triangles.

Guys how do I make my picture the "Background" in Blender or Autodesk 3Ds?

Are you asking how to pull up only one window instead of the quad view? Or are you wanting a custom picture instead of the default grey background? If it's the first question, in 3ds Max, click inside the quad you want to view as fullscreen, then hit Alt +W.

Edited by LarianHawke

In 3ds max (2012 at least) you can either go to the top left and find the text for the mode you're in (like "wireframe" or "smooth + highlights" and look at "viewport background"), click it and find "Viewport background" or click alt + B. Find your image and under "aspect ratio" select "match bitmap". Then tick "display background" and "Lock pan/zoom".

OR

Create a plane with the same dimensions as your picture. Then create a new material and assign it to that plane. Right-click the plane and untick "Show frozen in gray" and then right-click it again and select "freeze"

Edited by DavidD