deleted Skyrim

arahfeks

lol, No I don't have an insulated life as a matter of fact I've worked in the security industry for 8 years. And you just argued against yourself in your first post you first stated that you still have to use a padlock, then in your second post you state that padlocks don't deter anyone. Fact is there are dishonest people that do not have the tools at the moment to break the lock or do not want to risk making noise or taking the time if there is a padlock. Anyhow we are arguing for nothing as a padlock on a shed and Software piracy are very different things.

Anyhow Lord Garon Well said.

How was I arguing against myself? I my second post I didn't state that padlocks don't deter 'anyone', I wrote that they only deter 'honest people'. If someone broke into your shed and took all your stuff, and the shed didn't have some form of a lock, what do you think the cops and/or your insurance rep would say to you? If you as you write did work in the security industry for a while then you should understand my point about locks and software security

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the hate for Steam.

I haven't had many problems aside from minor inconvenience.

*shrug* Guess I'll just go play some TF2 while you guys rage about it.

I don't either. Not one person that said they hated Steam actually gave a good reason as to why. Other than the inconvenience.

Well, for example, one person was given Fallout New Vegas on 30th August 2011, and opened an account with Steam on that day. They wrote back saying that he had to prove he was who he said he was, and he offered them every proof they asked for, sometimes even photographing documents and attaching them to his emails. They kept writing back, mostly with a form letter with a standard reply that they needed more proof, over the next nine months, and on 27th May 2012, they finally apologized for their "misunderstanding" and let him have his account and play his game!

If Steam was not involved, he would have been able to play Fallout New Vegas from 30th August 2011, and Skyrim from 11th November 2011, instead of getting stuffed around until 27th May 2012. It's sheer incompetence by the staff of Steam that they cause so much inconvenience. But that's just one bad example, there are thousands of lesser inconveniences caused by them every day. They really need some training in computers, *and* in diplomacy with customers as well!

The game isn't great but the world they created is great.

The games potential is great. Mods realise that potential making the game great.

As for steam. Despite your hatred for them, they are an excellent distribution company. The work they do with the indie community which would really struggle to survive otherwise is amazing.

That aside I don't really know what the issue is with Skyrim and Steam? You load your game and install updates via another piece of software. A large amount of the community including myself are still playing on max settings with tons of graphical enhancement mods on top so it's not a PC resource issue.

What is the actual issue?

I'm going to head this off and say that the first line of my original post said, "opinions". Take them, or leave them. I don't really care. It was a rant, but an honest one. My opinions are based upon my experiences and I am not going to defend or justify them further.

That's a fair point, but I might have more sympathy if your complaints were singular to steam and not something we deal with all the time now these days. Everything is more and more invasive and even this website uses tracking cookies.

Steam is not as bad as you make it out to be. At all.

You don't have to plant a ring on that other dude. You can just drop it off somewhere and tell Brynjolf that you lost the ring. He'll say "Oh at least you had the balls to take part in this." and the quest would go on. Just because it doesn't say that you can do something differently in the journal, it doesn't mean you can't.

Oh, and install some mods.

I don't understand the hate for Steam.

I haven't had many problems aside from minor inconvenience. I rather like picking up games for a fourth of their price every once in a while.

*shrug* Guess I'll just go play some TF2 while you guys rage about it.

I don't either. Not one person that said they hated Steam actually gave a good reason as to why. Other than the inconvenience.

The inconvienience, the fact that it is a required piece of spyware/adware. The fact that ittries to download of the internet when you have the actual disk because some moron couldn't put in a goddamn "or if/and if" statement. The fact that I don't want all my game stats recorded without my say so. The fact that it is an ectra program running for no other reason than because "they" said so.

I hate Steam because it represents an unwanted intrusion in my gaming life that essentially tells me I have to live with it or I can not play these games.

The inconvienience, the fact that it is a required piece of spyware/adware. The fact that ittries to download of the internet when you have the actual disk because some moron couldn't put in a goddamn "or if/and if" statement. The fact that I don't want all my game stats recorded without my say so. The fact that it is an ectra program running for no other reason than because "they" said so.

I hate Steam because it represents an unwanted intrusion in my gaming life that essentially tells me I have to live with it or I can not play these games.

I suggest you look of the definition of adware, and spyware, Steam fits neither definition.

Also you can install most Steam games from the disk, IRC you can do it with Skyrim.

the fact that you agreed to install Steam means you did give them your say so

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

I like Skyrim, and I hate Steam. But all of the complaints about both are valid. Skyrim is a buggy mess of a game that is fun most of the time when it is running well.

Steam is a buggy mess that is a pointless waste of hard drive space. Skyrim is the last game I am going to ever get that is on Steam. And as much as I like some of my other Steam powered games which I am going to keep. Putting up with Steam itself is no longer a tolerable endevor for future games. Another poster mentioned that Steam wasn't alone in it's data tracking theivery, and that is true. I was tempted to get Diablo 3 and the instant I learned that it required a constant live internet connection to play the single player campaign, I laughed and said "No." The only reason to have a live internet connection to play a single player game is to mine for data and no other reason.

Another poster said I don't know the defintion of spyware/adware, I do, I just lump Steam into that catagory for convenience sake, I can't really call them a client server because that would indicate that they actuallly serve the clients, and frankly if I practicaly have to give you my money at gunpoint, you are a very incompitent server. I have five games that are steam clients, and every one of them has been a pain in the ass to install, update, and get DLC for. I put up with it because I liked the games. But Skyrim is a major test of my patience and to be blunt I will not try to defend the shortcomings of Bethesda when it comes to some of the crap I have had to put up with in Skyrim.

So I understand the frustration of the person who created this post. I have had some game Breaking glitches occur where I had to delete 15th level characters because of some stupid glitch that made the save unplayable. Random murders that appear in your stats when you haven't killed a single human, not even bandits. Flying mammoths, suicidal deer, levitating khajitts, phasing corpses, random falling through the floor into the gray abyss only to end up in the exact same room, massive inexplicable slowdowns in various areas, broken quests, unfinished quests, and npcs that will fight from cover only to leap over a cliff to get at you types of things have I seen in this game. Sometimes all within 30 minutes of starting a new game.

When a game starts to not be fun, it becomes a chore. And why should you have to pay full price to do someone else's chores.

and frankly if I practicaly have to give you my money at gunpoint, you are a very incompitent server.

Really, because, I dont recall ANYONE forcing you to buy Skyrim.

No one made you get Skyrim

No one made you install Steam

No one held you at gunpoint

No one forced you to do ANYTHING

Stop blaming others for a choice you made for yourself.

This is why I can't take the majority of anti-steam people seriously, I dont particularly like Steam myself, but the levels of denial over their own willing involvement in the matter makes me want to distance myself from them as much as possible.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

I don't mind Steam. I don't like it, I don't like that it's required and I dislike it for a number of the same reasons I don't use Facebook. However I'm willing to put up with it because A) I have no choice and B) it is good for the indie game community.

That part A is the critical one. If I want to play Skryim I have two choices - pirate it (which I would never do) or use Steam. That's it. Those are my choices. Saying that it's my choice to use Steam is a misnomer, it's my choice to play Skyrim and not be the sort of POS who pirates games. I do have a choice - I can be punished for being ethical (which forcing me to use a 3rd party is doing) or I can be an unethical jerk, or I can not get the game at all.

That's the frustration with Steam for many people. They are a business and one that makes their money by forcing people to use their service willing or otherwise. I've never had a serious problem with Steam but I've known a couple of people who have and it's absolutely miserable. The idea of adding a 3rd party between me and the company I want to buy a product from and giving that 3rd party the ability to block me from using the product I paid for is one that is inherently prone to trouble.

I'm still 600+ hours into Skyrim but I've never gotten and never will get a mod through the Workshop. I've got a few dozen, all through the Nexus. I can't agree with the OP, but whatever floats his boat.

Like I said at the start though, I don't mind Steam. Just understand that their business model is based on controlling your access to and use of the games you buy from other businesses. They are not there to help you. Any benefit that you get from using Steam is there absolutely to make you more compliant to being forced to use their service. It's not some altruistic drive that Valve has because they just like to do nice stuff for people.