Hard-surface modelling for in-game models?

Elementroar

I'm working on making new models for use in-game. One of the most intensive tutorials I found was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0QvFYf_Q_E

The thing is that he models with the TurboSmooth modifier on, and it looks like he's preparing the model for a good render. Do I need to go that much into hardsurface modelling a model for use as an in-game model? I've seen another tutorial where the model wasn't as 'high-res', so I'm wondering what are the benefits of modelling the way this tutorial does.

Finish the tutorials he made. He actually goes in depth on everything. Look up normal maps if you are not sure why to high poly - low poly model.

What he does is that he uses turbosmooth so that he can open it up in zbrush and create normalmaps. From that normalmap he then grabs the diffuse and there he has the textures. Then he turns the turbosmooth modifier off and starts to remove edges to create the in-game model. Like Matth said, if you watch the entire series you should see that. You can skip the parts where he works in zbrush if you don't need to create textures.