Absolute proof of no third party mods for FO:76

zanity

Once our community was nice, friendly and innocent...

Today the big story is Beth proudly banning FOR LIFE a bunch of FO:76 gamers role-playing as extreme homophobic raiders (see the Eurogamer report). These people were NOT picking on someone they knew in real-life (which would be a transcendent legal issue) but engaging in the 'drama' Todd Howard had stated he was anticipating in the game.

The world of Fallout is a world of clearly expressed TORTURE, sexual slavery, murder, and every other form of vile abhorrent behavious imaginable. Like a grind-house horror movie like 'hostel' it pitches itself at the fascination so many otherwise reasonable adults have in the darkest side of Human nature.

The super mutants are CANNIBALS for heaven's sake, and Beth delights in having their Human derived food (meat bags) clearly displayed.

When people sit down and watch 'Hostel', you have what I would call a SINGLE-PLAYER experience. But if people in the cinema suddenly started playing along with the depraved characters in the movie, and started screaming their love of r-pe and torture (multiplayer) other people in the cinema would start feeling very uneasy.

Beth needs to curate the experience in an ONLINE multi-player game, no matter how moronic this seems against the very intent of the world. If you want to role-play TRUE to the nature of a raider or super-mutant, the mainstream media will howl their fake outrage and Beth will have to bring down the ban hammer- so far so standard.

Now we have the FANTASY of third-party mods. Let's imagine the headlines.

"Bethesda allows racists to set up their own private servers in FO:76 and play as full-on n-zis. "

"Beth allows homophobes to set up their own private servers where a team of 'gays' are hunted down by a team of 'raider' 'gay haters'."

Mods are NOT mods just on the Nexus (which itself has laready had issues as to what exactly should be the freedom of mod expression). If third party mods are allowed, anyone can code them and anyone can host them. The genie is literally out of the bottle. And EVERYING said modders do the mainstream media would blame on Beth.

Oh yeah, that's going to work out so well for Bethesda.

None of this applies to single player mods. Oh, for sure idiots in the gaming press TRIED to get some traction highlighting 'adult' mods for fallout and Skyrim but failed because an INDIVIDUAL experience is not a point of controversy. The same individual is free to read adult books, see adult films, so what if they have any form of adult mod on their single player game- after all if THEY are 'offended' by the mod they simply won't use it.

But online multi-player changes everything.

Public, and it is the issue of an 'innocent' member of the public confronted by something they do not wnat to handle (like a gang of role-playing raider homophobes).

Private is curiously WORSE. It is the 'fear' of a pack of 'deviants' doing something 'wrong' in 'secrecy'.

Now even this post is going to be attacked by people saying that certain forms of role-playing are "beyond the pale" or that somehow I'm defending an unacceptable opinion- as if MURDER, torture and sexual slavery are any more 'acceptable'.

You see there is a paradox. The World of Fallout is as vile and inHuman as it gets. But we fans of Fallout 3/4 are NICE people as role-players tend to be. Myself, I cannot help but be the highly moral 'good guy' when I play (hence all the complaints about Tenpenny Apartments, cos every 'nice' solution had a dreadful outcome- which I highly approved of cos nice doesn't always work out). But others like to be as bad as they can.

But then you get this online non-co-op abomination from Beth- that was designed from the ground up to serve Loot Boxes (dropped late after the EA Battlefront 2 fiasco) and microtransactions. The right to role-play in this game was a PROBLEM for Beth, not a desire. So the Beth approach was always going to be to BAN any player that brings Beth into disrepute in the mainstream media.

But I'm a 'NICE' modder, you say, and would never cause trouble for Beth- honest Indian! Beth can simply say "only nice modders allowed- all you naughty modders are banned". I'm sorry, am I the only adult in this forum?

The ONLY question Beth asks is "what is the downside of allowing third party mods?". The potential loss of revenue is already good enough for Beth to fully ban them. But the uncontrollable nature of the online experience they bring means that hell would have to freeze over in an infinite number or realities before Beth ever allowed third party mods for FO:76.

PS I recall all the fears people had here that 'killable children' mods on the Nexus would cause Beth to consider banning mods for their single-player games. And for good reason knowing the media outrage machine. The naivety shown here is based on the absolute fallacy of trying to only see the glass half-full, and never half-empty. The potential existence of good 'harmless' mods does not answer the problem of bad 'harmful' mods- so the ONLY mods you'll get for FO:76 will be carefully curated mods on Beth's own Atom Store.

IF you truly wants mods for FO:76, beg Bethesda to release an off-line single-player version of the game. But not only will this never happen, even here Beth would still be too paranoid about "cross contamination".

Once our community was nice, friendly and innocent...

Today the big story is Beth proudly banning FOR LIFE a bunch of FO:76 gamers role-playing as extreme homophobic raiders (see the Eurogamer report). These people were NOT picking on someone they knew in real-life (which would be a transcendent legal issue) but engaging in the 'drama' Todd Howard had stated he was anticipating in the game.

So, explain to me how a bunch of FO76 gamers "roleplaying" (riiiiiiiggghhhttt) Homophobic Raiders is in any way contributing to that "Nice, Friendly, and Innocent" community you mentioned in your first sentence?

@HadToRegister: "Our" benevolent leader Todd once said "Be whoever you want, play however you want."

I know, I know... It's actually quite a long time ago since BGS took "role" out of "roleplaying"...

And people took it upon themselves to rush straight towards roleplaying one of the most offensive choices, Homophobic Raiders, out of all the other choices there were and now you're trying to act like the victims.

Boo Hoo.

Next you'll be complaining that Bethesda won't let you "Roleplay" as Nazis/Alt-Right Fascists, and KKK Members, because you're "so persecuted"

And people took it upon themselves to rush straight towards roleplaying one of the most offensive choices, Homophobic Raiders, out of all the other choices there were and now you're trying to act like the victims.

Boo Hoo.

Next you'll be complaining that Bethesda won't let you "Roleplay" as Nazis/Alt-Right Fascists, and KKK Members, because you're "so persecuted"

Nah, I'm good. I won't touch anything that has Online Multiplayer slapped on it for exactly that reason.

I'd also never argue with people who enter biting mode right away and throw around accusations when someone states a mere fact that might not even be their opinion.

That's probably the wisdom that comes with age.

Boo Hoo.

Nah, I'm good. I won't touch anything that has Online Multiplayer slapped on it for exactly that reason.

I'd also never argue with people who enter biting mode right away and throw around accusations when someone states a mere fact that might not even be their opinion.

With the EULA you also agreed to the terms-of-service and all the other Rules.

btw... Wisdom may come with age, but there's no guarantee that it come to you.

You agree not to use any Service to:

• Take any action or upload, post, transmit, promote, or distribute any illegal Content, including, but not limited to, any UGC or any Game Mods;
      • Take any action or upload, post, transmit, promote, or distribute any Content that infringes or violates any third party rights;
      • Engage in, take any action associated with, or participate in any type of child solicitation, grooming behavior, pedophilia, or predatory behavior in any form.
      • Harass, stalk, threaten, embarrass, spam or do anything else to another user of any Services that is unwanted, such as repeatedly sending unwanted messages or making personal attacks or statements about race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc.;

Nice jab at the age thing, but I'm 55.

So nice try.

Apparently, Todd should've added "WITHIN REASON" to the end of "Be whoever you want, play however you want.", so people wouldn't stampede straight to one of the more offensive "roleplaying" options, to call attention to themselves, because, you know kids, they always have to be "outspoken" and "edgy" in order to get attention, even if it's Bad Attention.

Guest deleted34304850

i read it, i read the absolute unapologetic stance and i thought - well you're a dick, so you get what you deserve, and let's face it fo76 and bethesda's stance was simply opening the door and telling people - go right ahead and do what you want cos it's "fun with friends" right?

except when you and your friends are a bunch of dicks, playing a version of a bunch of dicks online under the very lame excuse of "roleplaying" in a game that is fundamentally designed to negate any aspect of roleplaying right out of the gate.

nice sermon from the OP though.