ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Almost 300 hours of Skyrim gameplay, still havent done the main quest

SpacePigeonTV

I have played Skyrim altogether in almost 300 hours and I still haven't finished the main quest, and I have not finished any of the civil war factions (Imperials and Stormcloak)

The main reason for this is because problems often have occurred with my saves so I had to delete them (due to mods & simply wanting to try another way of approaching the game).

The other reason is that I kinda doesn't want to finish it. I want to save it or something.

I feel like if I finish it, the save game might loose value when I'm RPing but I don't know that yet because I haven't finished it yet!

I have been spoiled the main quest, thanks to my friends and the internet but not much :P

Some of you people might wonder what I've done in these hours;

- almost never fast travel

- stops to gaze at the amazing environment

- does lots of other quests which I encounter

- enters random or passing dungeons and crypts

- and I actually RP to settle down, like this one time where I married some chick in Shor's Stone I actually pretended to be a miner there for some time where I would travel to Riften and sell my stuff (and when I got bored i resumed my travels).

- done companions 2 times, college 2 - 3 times, thieves guild 1 time and brotherhood 1 time

- constantly downloading new mods and testing them out

- i can't come up with more stuff but I generally walk around and everywhere and find stuff.

I've had skyrim since it came out and it amazes me. It feels like I have done every quest, but theres always some new things I find during my travels which keeps me occupied.

Anybody else around here which has kinda the same experience as me?

Ha!.. It's a pleasure to read this!.. Sometimes, I get the feeling that too many gamers want to finish the game in 50 hours and never get past Whiterun...

My experience is not much different from yours, I'm over 400 hours now and still very low in the main quest - and have not yet started the Civil War. (Truth is I already played it on PS3 and want to have a completely different experience on PC).

What I have done in all these hours?

- I love riding around in bad or good weather, by myself or with followers, and almost never use fast travel either,

- did a lot of farming and mining walking around,

- been a hunter for a while,

- sometimes simply gaze at sunsets or snow storms for hours,

- explored many Dwemer ruins, which I love, caves and Ancient ruins,

- hunt for hawks feathers and beaks on the rooftops of Solitude,

- sometimes simply camp on a river bank and swim around for hours, fish in Riften,

- other times I'll storm down on bandits' camp for the adrenaline,

- been treasure hunting for a while,

- I tried many followers and settled to marry Solitude's Housecarl who makes a great companion (never knocks me off the cliffs when she comes running behind me - and actually has the ONLY bearable voice in French!.. ;0)

- I love the small discoveries of camps, houses or small settlements that are not on the map,

- I'm level 62 (had to go back 5 levels because of glitchy mods) and the only quest I actually finished is the Companion one 'cause I did not want to remain a Werewolf,

- and like you I suppose, I try many mods, bug, CTD, disable, go back to cleaner saves and rethink my perk tree along the way... Actually, I love nothing more than finding a good mod I know I'll be able to keep running for another 100 hours.

I'm amazed at the fact that, even though I already played it on PS3, I keep discovering stuffs I had never seen before - and I'd truly love to make it last.

The only thing I miss in Skyrim, compared to Fallout 3 for instance, is a clear, strong, storyline where you felt your character had a real motivation and was growing along the way...

Have you been taking screenshots too?

Edited by Hoamaii

Ha!.. It's a pleasure to read this!.. Sometimes, I get the feeling that too many gamers want to finish the game in 50 hours and never get past Whiterun...

My experience is not much different from yours, I'm over 400 hours now and still very low in the main quest - and have not yet started the Civil War. (Truth is I already played it on PS3 and want to have a completely different experience on PC).

What I have done in all these hours?

- I love riding around in bad or good weather, by myself or with followers, and almost never use fast travel either,

- did a lot of farming and mining walking around,

- been a hunter for a while,

- sometimes simply gaze at sunsets or snow storms for hours,

- explored many Dwemer ruins, which I love, caves and Ancient ruins,

- hunt for hawks feathers and beaks on the rooftops of Solitude,

- sometimes simply camp on a river bank and swim around for hours, fish in Riften,

- other times I'll storm down on bandits' camp for the adrenaline,

- been treasure hunting for a while,

- I tried many followers and settled to marry Solitude's Housecarl who makes a great companion (never knocks me off the cliffs when she comes running behind me - and actually has the ONLY bearable voice in French!.. ;0)

- I love the small discoveries of camps, houses or small settlements that are not on the map,

- I'm level 62 (had to go back 5 levels because of glitchy mods) and the only quest I actually finished is the Companion one 'cause I did not want to remain a Werewolf,

- and like you I suppose, I try many mods, bug, CTD, disable, go back to cleaner saves and rethink my perk tree along the way... Actually, I love nothing more than finding a good mod I know I'll be able to keep running for another 100 hours.

I'm amazed at the fact that, even though I already played it on PS3, I keep discovering stuffs I had never seen before - and I'd truly love to make it last.

The only thing I miss in Skyrim, compared to Fallout 3 for instance, is a clear, strong, storyline where you felt your character had a real motivation and was growing along the way...

Have you been taking screenshots too?

Just a few screenshots... like 8-10 :P

Very nice to know i'm not the only one not rushing the game ;)

Edited by Naith

Oh...my...GOSH! I have 150 hours into the game and I have 3 characters and my big brother has two... I'm ashamed. I've been playing the game since the day it came out! On all of my characters i have finished every single daedric quest, all the factions, the civil war, and the main quest. I've also played about 70 mods. HOWWW?????

Hey eev2000, HOWWW?... o_O

I often ask myself the same question... I can be a game addict I guess, so I'm limiting myself... just 2 or 3 games a year, and luckily, this year Uncharted and Assassin Creed were done in 20 or 30 hours!... That leaves all the more time for Skyrim... ('tho I'm sure I could sleep a bit more and play a bit less...). And I probably would have been done with it by now if it wasn't for modding anyway.

If you've finished all quests, weren't you a bit disappointed too by the end of the main quest?

I've played the same character close to 300 hours, and have only just now finished the main quest and the civil war.

Now I've rolled a new character and am just RP'ing as a huntsman, using Imp's More Complex Needs and Frostfall, and will stay away from all quests, radiant or otherwise.

I've also started getting into creating mods. Published my first one (NoobEx Constellation Outlines) last week, and am now in the CK creating an in-game book to go along with it.

Edited by NoobusExtremus

I feel like if I finish it, the save game might loose value when I'm RPing but I don't know that yet because I haven't finished it yet!

It will seem like a disappointment when you do finish (but probably not for the reasons you're thinking). I find that doing the main quest is best done right away or not at all.

Close to five hundred hours here. Haven't finished main or civil war quest yet. Never have fast traveled and don't plan to in the future. There is just too much to see and do. I don't run around everywhere with my butt on fire since I don't do that in real life.

Love to Hunt fish and explore.

Hmm...I don't think i've ever explored...FOLLOW THE QUEST MARKER! The end of the main quest was bad compared to almost every other rpg, but I never expected it to have a good ending in the first place. My only wish is that you'd actually get a REWARD FOR DEFEATING ALDUIN!