How does COTW does this?

gnarlyfingers

As I am not a modder but just a FNVEdit tinkerer, I could use some insight because this puzzles me. I found and installed COTW2 to check it out (for TTW, which means it includes FO3 stuff). One of the thing it did was to replace kids Amata, Butch etc with its own models.

In the core game there are, for example

- CG02Amata (for the party)

- CG03Amata (for the Goat test)

- CG04Amata (for the escape from 101)

and the same for the other kids.

COTW turns all of those to kids, not only the "party" one. And the puzzle is that I don't know how it does it, so that I can change it back for the last two. As I found out in-game, the base IDs and Ref IDs of the kids that I mentioned are preserved in COTW. The only relevant thing that I found using FNVEdit was some new Actor entries, only one for each of those kids, with their own IDs, and with the word "template" in their names.

Since the initial IDs are preserved, how does COTW make them use its own new NPC templates without overriding the ID records? Where should I look?

By the way, an "agerace 1" in the console can make them adults (if I don't care about the hairstyle) but still.. I am curious.

How long have you had the mod?

Where did you get the mod?

Not long. The version is 2.18.1 (which seems to be 2.18 repackaged with an updated NVSE plugin). The file dates seem to be no older than November 2015. I just googled around, found a hit on reddit leading to a page in allthefallen with a few download links and I chose the newest one.

Then I suggest you go back to where you downloaded the mod with your questions.

The mod is not available on Nexus and the ones available on the internet appear to be pirated.

Edited by M48A5

You can duplicate anything in GECK what you need also an NPC with all Stats, Inventory, Traits etc. you need nothing more to do as duplicate one selected NPC and place the copy anywhere in the game. Now you have your own NPC and can rename the ID so you can choose your own textures and meshes for this NPC and change nothing ingame. So you have 10 kids and later 40 kids in Mojave its really easy to do this. But make textures and 3d Models is not easy.

You can duplicate anything in GECK what you need also an NPC with all Stats, Inventory, Traits etc. you need nothing more to do as duplicate one selected NPC and place the copy anywhere in the game. Now you have your own NPC and can rename the ID so you can choose your own textures and meshes for this NPC and change nothing ingame. So you have 10 kids and later 40 kids in Mojave its really easy to do this. But make textures and 3d Models is not easy.

What puzzles me is that those NPC records were neither copied (same IDs as in the original game) nor overridden (their original forms are unchanged). And although COTW does create some races and NPC templates, they all have new IDs, and I don't see how that guy made the game use them instead of the original ones.

I don't have COTW so I can't say what they did, but there are different ways of doing this.

One is to substitute a new NPC for the old one, which I have often done in my own mods. You don't need to modify the existing records, just disable the reference and move your own new reference to the same location. Your new NPC would end up with a different reference ID though, so if the new NPCs have the same original reference ID then this is not what they did. It's a useful technique though.

Another possibility is to tinker with the NPC's race. You can use the function AgeRace for example to turn the NPC into a child. You can also create an NPC with a custom race and custom textures, etc. as sort of a template, and use MatchRace to change the existing NPC's race to match your new template NPC. Since you say that COTW does have new races, they probably used this technique.

Edited by madmongo

I don't have COTW so I can't say what they did, but there are different ways of doing this.

One is to substitute a new NPC for the old one, which I have often done in my own mods. You don't need to modify the existing records, just disable the reference and move your own new reference to the same location. Your new NPC would end up with a different reference ID though, so if the new NPCs have the same original reference ID then this is not what they did. It's a useful technique though.

Another possibility is to tinker with the NPC's race. You can use the function AgeRace for example to turn the NPC into a child. You can also create an NPC with a custom race and custom textures, etc. as sort of a template, and use MatchRace to change the existing NPC's race to match your new template NPC. Since you say that COTW does have new races, they probably used this technique.

Neither the base ID nor the ref ID change, and also FNVEdit shows no conflict. So, it is probably something like your last method.

I am not good enough to understand everything you said yet, but while Amata seems to remain vanilla Hispanic, COTW indeed introduces a new Hispanic race with its own ID which contains an ONAM-Older (vanilla "Hispanic" ID) and an YNAM-Younger (new "Young Hispanic Child" ID). I'll keep tinkering until I understand better how exactly this affects her. Where would he have put that MatchRace? In a script?

Edited by gnarlyfingers