Awesome Quotes

LHammonds

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you trust your government?

ask an Indian.

If you could ask the founding fathers of America, they would also express a great dis-trust in government which is why they tried so hard to make a government system that had so many checks-n-balances and separation of power. If you're an American, do yourself a favor and check out this video called America: Freedom to Fascism which will get your blood broiling (please do not comment about this movie here). ;)

Looks like this thread is getting long in the tooth (a good thing). I will go through each page and cherry-pick the quotes I like best and place them on the 1st posting (probably this weekend if things relax a bit).

LHammonds

"Wishing for the impossible is the greatest gift of mankind. We're capable of change, and we're capable of creating the works of our dreams. Always shoot higher than you could have ever dreamed of accomplishing; that way, even if you miss, your dreams will come true.

The grass may be greener, but living on a golf course has it's cons too." ~ Arman Nobari; good friend of mine.

"Think in smaller terms. Don't think about changing the world, or being significant to the world. Think about how you are significant in the lives of those close to you, think about how your presence has changed them. Make your life eventful, make your life significant." ~ Joey Dearden; another good friend.

"Live your own life and not the life they say you'll have." ~ Ryan Snyder; me.

The whole world is in chess. Any move can be the death of you. Do anything except remain where you started and you can't be sure of your end. When I was sixteen I won a great victory. I felt in that moment that I should live to be one hundred, now I know I shall not see thirty. None of us know our end really, or what hand will guide us there. A king may move a man, a father may claim a son. That man can also move himself. And only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played, or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone. Even though those who presumed pray you kings or men of power, When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that.

~King Baldwin IV, Kingdom of Heaven

I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. I've seen too much religion in the eyes of murders. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here (the mind) and here (the heart) and what you decide to do every day will make you a good man...or not.

~Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

Love that movie.

Billy Clanton: It's the drunk piano player. You couldn't hit nothin'. [Draws knife.] In fact, you're probably seeing *double*.

Doc: [draws second gun] I have two guns, one for each of you.

~Tombstone

*I Like* that other people's opinions don't matter, unless they agree with me...

......by moszibby

"Thanks for proving my point", even if taken out of context of the conversation it was in. woo hoo !

[after watching Blade casually kill a man] Hannibal: You know, one of these days, you might want to consider sitting down with someone. You know, have a little share time? Get in touch with your inner child? Also - just a thought - but, you just might want to consider blinking once in a while. [blade stops and slowly turns to look at Hannibal] Hannibal: Sorry, I, uh... I ate a lot of sugar today.

...."I am moved more and more by what I see around me...the poverty of my own country, of Latin America and other countries of the world; I have seen with my own eyes memorials to the Jews in Warsaw, the panic caused by the bomb, the disintegration that war causes to human beings and all that is born of them...But i have also seen what love can do, what strength of a person who is happy can achieve. Because of all this, and because above all I desire peace, I need the wood and strings of my guitar to give vent to sadness or happiness, some verse which opens up the heart like a wound, some line which helps us all to turn from inside ourselves to look out and see the world with new eyes..."

-Victor Jara

"...The cultural invasion is like a leafy tree which prevents us from seeing our own sun, sky and stars. Therefore in order to be able to see the sky above our heads, our task is to cut this tree off at the roots. US imperialism understands very well the magic of communication through music and persists in filling our young people with all sorts of commercial tripe. With professional expertise they have taken certain measures: first, the commercialization of the so-called ‘protest music’; second, the creation of ‘idols’ of protest music who obey the same rules and suffer from the same constraints as the other idols of the consumer music industry – they last a little while and then disappear. Meanwhile they are useful in neutralizing the innate spirit of rebellion of young people. The term ‘protest song’ is no longer valid because it is ambiguous and has been misused. I prefer the term ‘revolutionary song’..."

...by Victor Jara