Memory Taxing Mods for Skyrim

Killerbuddy

I do not own a PS3, but I have heard it has serious issues so I wouldn't

even bother with Skyrim on that system until they finished all their

DLC, and have attempted to improve stability on that console ). Also,

why should there be mod support for the game? That would be a waste of

resources for any company, frankly.

I play on a PS3 and on a PC. I play on the PS3 for the enjoyment of the game and quests. I play on the PC for the enjoyment of the myriad of mods that are out there. I'll also likely try out some of the self-contained quest mods at some time in the future.

Don't knock the PS3 if you don't own one and haven't tried the game on it. It plays very well. I'm 90% through on the main quest and am half way through on Dragonborne DLC. No severe bugs to speak of (since the days of problems walking into water...) I tried riding on a Dragon yesterday for the first time and felt the controls were clunky, but workable.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ripple

If it doesn't work for you on your console, then I am sorry you are so unlucky. The console version is completey playable( as far as the Xbox 360 goes, I do not own a PS3, but I have heard it has serious issues so I wouldn't even bother with Skyrim on that system until they finished all their DLC, and have attempted to improve stability on that console ). Also, why should there be mod support for the game? That would be a waste of resources for any company, frankly.

I don't know who you are responding to. What doesn't work for me on my console? Who said PC game developers should always provide mod support for their game?

But releasing an SDK helps revitalize sales of the game on the PC platform. For a game like Skyrim, where I habitually see players in various forum say that they bought a PC copy after finishing Skyrim on a console, just so they can play with mods, it's not a "waste of resources." It's a 'marketing strategy.' If you disagree with me on that point, I would request some logical rebuttals specific to that point, not more 'companies exist for money', because I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion about Skyrim's game engine. Since no one in this thread said that 'private game companies should be philanthropists and be run like charities', I don't know why you keep emphasizing that they are run for profit (as if we don't already know that), without providing any reasons why that should be relevant to a conversation about memory leaks and game engine limitations.

Also, to bring up the Creation Kit has no point to this conversation at all. Like I said, they are a company. Companies exist for money. If them releasing content and the tools to create whatever you want within the engine's scope to generate sales, that is fine by me. Really stating that is really redundant. This whole conversation is kind of redundant actually as I said in my previous post that it is all about the money.

If it has nothing to do with this conversation, then why did -you- bring it up? "[o]ur modding community for said games pale in comparison to any other games out there. We have it good"? Your words, yes? :confused:

And about Skyrim, YES. Anyone who has played the game has gotten the same feeling. All well, such is the way of the world when a company desides to focus on the visuals a bit more, while adhearing to a deadline of releasing the game. honestly if you want to blame someone, give the blame where it is due, the parent company( Zenimax ).

Fair enough. The investors share the bulk of the blame, not the developers, except Zenimax, unless I am mistaken, didn't choose the game engine that would be used for Skyrim, couldn't care less what engine was used as long as the game made--as you keep saying--a profitable return for their investments. No, that choice was made by Bethesda.

I think you are missing the purpose of this thread. As far as I can tell, it's not about 'bashing Bethesda' (although there are clearly some bitterness involved), it's not about 'money' or lack thereof, it's not about the current state of the game development industry (although how Skyrim's engine compares to it's peers should be relevant), it's not about why Skyrim isn't the 'pen-ultimate game' some people think it should be. It's just about whether the game engine is sufficiently optimized to handle the game's aspirations and the current age of gaming. Considering it took a few patches just for Skyrim to be LAA enabled, I am siding with the 'no' crowd.

Edited by ripple

@mike2977
I have. I'll give them props, it is way more stable now than it was when it first came out, but that is all.

@ripple
Disregard that first part.

I know it does, why are you restating what you already said, all I was saying is that it does not matter to me their reasoning. OFC it is about money, and honestly that is the only argument I need. All issues that there are with the game are a root cause of money, if you look at the big picture. Shortcuts were taken here, staff was cut there, a different method of doing something, or the use of a certainsoftware was used because it costed less. I can go on and on, and I would be right on all those accounts.

All I did was comment on how fortunate we are how they release SDKs for their games. You decided to tell me a reason for it which I couldn't care less about. You are confusing lol.

No, you are missing the puspose of the thread. I started it, so I indeed know the purpose of this thread lol. And that is fine on your take on Bethesda, but this isn't the thread for everyone's opinions. AGAIN, this thread is to help shed some light on one issue I did some investigating in.

I'll leave your thread alone after reiterating my first point. You don't know why Skyrim crashes. You are guessing. You're evidence is circumstantial. What constitutes a memory taxing mod? I read the entire thread, every possibility has been discussed in this thread, no definitive answers have been arrived at.

The statement 'Run less mods, the game will be more stable.' is not helpful. It is a useless generality. The question in response is 'How many mods can I run?', 'How much texture memory can I use?', 'How many NPCs can be on the screen?', 'Why does changing the shadow quality affect stability?' The WHYs and HOW MUCH are what's important otherwise it's just trial and error and guessing. Granted that may be the only recourse, but it shouldn't be.