Need Help: How to get butterflies and other critters to land where the

EvilDeadAsh34

I'm trying to add critter landing markers. Problem is, most of the time the bugs "land" mid-air and just sit there a few moments and then start flying again. Like they land on something invisible. Is there some sort of trick to get them to land on objects like they should? I found the landing marker in the CK and put them where i think they should be but it doesn't seem to have any real effect.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I used the keyword which you can find on some moth-enabled plants (some keyword with "moth" or "mothlike", can't tell exactly because I'm at work)then I have placed a critter spawner and tataa, they're landing on my tomato plants after spawning.

I used the keyword which you can find on some moth-enabled plants (some keyword with "moth" or "mothlike", can't tell exactly because I'm at work)then I have placed a critter spawner and tataa, they're landing on my tomato plants after spawning.

I'm still not getting it to work right but I'm a little confused by your message so i don't know if i'm looking in the right place. Some butterflies and moth's land where they should while most will just land mid-air. I wonder if my problem has anything to do with 83Willow's 101 bugs mod? I have so many bugs flying around that maybe they are clashing for the landing spots. So some may have to land in the air?

Sorry for the bump but i am truly perplexed. I have looked everywhere for information on placing insects and their landing markers and i can't find anything. I even tried to decipher @MadNuttah's suggestion but i don't see how to do what he said in the CK. I have looked at the official Creation Kit webpage for instructions and i also looked at other vanilla spawners and landing markers (in the CK) and i don't see anything obvious on what makes insects land how they should. All the spawners and landing markers that i have placed SEEM like they are placed correctly, but obviously something is wrong. Does anyone have any idea where i could find instructions on how to place insect and their landing markers in the world properly? I just don't get why some insects land properly while others simply hover and don't move and/or land mid-air.

Please help! :wallbash:

Edited by EvilDeadAsh34

First off, I'm sorry for the rushed answer of mine. It wasn't a keyword I've added to the plants, it was a formlist to which I added my assets where the critters should land on. It's called AAAMothPlantTypes. Then, I have placed an critterSpawnInsects_Many activator and the insects were spawned from there and landing on my plants. I tried to use the critter landing markers first but had no success as well.

May this helps.

First off, I'm sorry for the rushed answer of mine. It wasn't a keyword I've added to the plants, it was a formlist to which I added my assets where the critters should land on. It's called AAAMothPlantTypes. Then, I have placed an critterSpawnInsects_Many activator and the insects were spawned from there and landing on my plants. I tried to use the critter landing markers first but had no success as well.

May this helps.

This helps a lot. I did find that formlist before you wrote this reply but was unsure if it was the right thing i needed to edit. Thanks for replying and clearing up your first message, i really appreciate it. Now maybe i can get the little *******'s to land where they're supposed to. :thumbsup: :tongue:

• 8 months later...

I'm having problems myself getting insects to land. I've found the form list, tried adding a spawner to it, and tried the landing markers, and my bugs are still motionless, (well they animate, but they just hover in place.) I'm very new to scripting and honestly have no idea what I'm doing, nor am I really sure what I'm supposed to do with the form list to begin with (The wiki isn't very clear on what they are or how to use them) . Can anyone clarify in noob talk for me?

MadNuttah, on 23 Jul 2012 - 09:39, said:

May this helps.

This worked for me.. Thank you! I noticed that there are two landing markers.. one works the other doesn't. CritterLandingMarker_small works.

Looking around for tutorials on this I found nothing useful but this thread. I don't have a custom plant, but still had issues with the butterflies landing in the air. Turns out treeflorajazbay was the issue, as that bounding box makes them land 4 feet above it. Jazbay is in the formlist you mention. I just made a copy of the jazbay and replaced all the jazbay in my cell with my new one, problem solved.

Remember, don't mess with the properties of the script on the base object (bug spawners), do it on the ref only, or you'll bugger up all bugs in Tamriel and beyond.

MadNuttah, I just gave you kudos :)

Edited by Hannibalektr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so is the "butterfly on invisible perch" thing a vanilla problem? because i've been noticing it a lot. have some pics of them hovering 3 feet above the shrub lol. tho that's just a couple times. mostly few inches. i'm using an older Vurts Flora so thought maybe it was a mesh problem