You need to uninstall Sounds of Skyrim

SergeantGrrock

I don't know anything about modding, except for another game (hearts of irons and most of its sequels and other games of the paradox) and I don't have a clue to even start for this game. However, since there are dozens of talented modders here on this site, why haven't any of them studied the issue to see what's wrong with it? Or as an alternative, do the same thing but with the bloating issue fixed.

I know it's easy to say this sort of thing when I can't do anything myself, and I don't want to offend anyone but I'm just pointing out a logical point. I can understand that it is the original authors mod and that he hasn't given permission for others to use it, but it's been a long time already without any form of communication from him.

Am I missing something here?

I want to stress that I don't mean to offend anyone with what I said.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[...]However, since there are dozens of talented modders here on this site, why haven't any of them studied the issue to see what's wrong with it? Or as an alternative, do the same thing but with the bloating issue fixed.

[...]I want to stress that I don't mean to offend anyone with what I said.

It doesn't sound offensive to me, and I can well understand that this situation is annoying. If you are referring to my asking about any known solutions, I must admit that I can't contribute very much myself to finding a solution: I call myself a modder because of my modding activities for Oblivion, and I have also tried to fix some common problems in other people's mods. But I am far too new to TES5 and Papyrus by now. So I have no clue at all about how to search for the cause of the issue in Cliffworms' mod. My asking was probably driven by the same hope than yours: That someone here might have already managed to dig deeper into it! I only know that there are already several "best practices" for Papyrus scripting described in the CK wiki, which might relate to the same issue. Just some examples:

http://www.creationkit.com/Differences_from_Previous_Scripting

http://www.creationkit.com/Threading_Notes_%28Papyrus%29

http://www.creationkit.com/Persistence_%28Papyrus%29

But as I am new to the topic, I have no idea whether this really matches the SoS problem. I am afraid that it might be more complex than that.

Above all, however, this is all about avoiding such issues in advance, and probably not about solving them in reaction to a bloating issue that is already buried in your savegame. I guess that we have to face the worst-case scenario that the existing SoS issue will never be solved for existing saves.

Another idea for tracking this down might be to contact Gopher as the creator of Dynavision - Dynamic Depth of Field: AFAIK there have been quite similar bloating issues with that mod, so he might know more about the general cause of it (and he's probably a rather helpful guy, judged by all his great modding and tutorial videos).

Just some ideas of course.

Well, instead of posting smart-alec ideas, I could pick this up myself of course ;). But I am afraid that I won't have the time right now. But I'll keep my eyes open... :)

jaime74: You hit the most important thing of this whole fiasco when you mentioned learning from it. Not really defending Cliffworms, just saying I know it wasn't intentional and he did the right thing by taking them down as soon as he became aware of this issue. I am er...not proficient to say the least when it comes to the CK so I wouldn't even know where to begin to find the exact scripting problem. I haven't read through this entire thread lately but since you have more of that type modding experience you can probably make more sense of all this than I can. Here's a link to the thread on Bethesda's forums where Cliffworms first mentioned the problem and all the comments from users and fellow modders alike. If you happen to come up with anything by following these little hints here and there in the comments I know a lot of people would be thrilled. It's definitely going to take someone with more experience in that arena than me to track this down. I'm sure one of the awesomely talented modders around here has been following this closely to prevent this same issue so hopefully they will share with those of us who don't have a clue. I do remember it mentions the specific scripts but only by someone actually delving into them can they find the cause. From what I understand anyway. ;)

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1375181-relwip-sounds-of-skyrim/page__st__60__p__21220914#entry21220914

@kingdark: Nothing to take offense about. Perfectly valid questions. As far as someone finding the issue I have no doubt that they have. Now the trick is finding out who and letting them know there are a lot of people here who would love to know as well. I know a lot of people don't spend much time in the forums which I understand. I'm guilty of not dropping in here as much as I used to also. I just like to stop by and see if I can help anyone as a thank you to the people who were kind enough to help me when I needed it. So it is very possible that the person (or people) with the answer everyone is so desperately seeking doesn't even realize this thread is here. I'll send some pm's to some talented friends here on Nexus and see if any of them might know. I should have thought of that before.

Now as far as someone else taking over or even reuploading SoS with the fix that's where you hit the issue of "modders rights". While I understand and respect the way Nexus handles this, it is kind of a stumbling block in this case. Nexus does have the right idea though because we have had to report a couple of people who took literally months of work with hundreds of hours in it and uploaded it as is with a different name. If Nexus didn't enforce this the way they do, it wouldn't be long before everyone left in disgust. If I remember correctly (and very possible I don't :P ) if a mod is abandoned for a certain period of time then someone can take up the reins and continue with it. Like I said, I may be wrong about that but that could be one possibility. Or someone who is friends with Cliffworms could ask permission to carry on. I would actually like to see Cliffworms come back to Nexus even if he's unable to fix this. Very talented modder and a shame to lose him over an honest mistake. Hopefully it's nothing serious in real life.

@69mAnU96: Wow, very kind of you to say that. This is one of the many reasons I love Nexus. The majority of people do treat it like a community and treat one another with mutual respect. And those that don't are weeded out very quickly by the best moderators I have seen anywhere. (Mods, remember this and add a point in my favor the next time I blast a troll in our comments please. :P )

Seriously though, I do appreciate you taking the time to say that. This is without a doubt the best online community I have ever been a part of. Which is why I let some trolls pass when they are so desperately asking for it. I'd feel really stupid getting the old banhammer for giving in to my biggest pet peeve. :D

I was having massive Savegame bloats lately and just couldn't find the mod responsible. After turning on logging I found that SoSCivSnore was spamming my logs and found this thread through some searching, never realised it was Sounds of Skyrim that was causing this.

I have been searching through this thread a bit and I notice people talking about not being able to delete mod because it won't remove the savebloats. Is there any way to fix this issue or do I need to start a new character? I have multiple characters that are heavily affected by this bug, one is lvl 42 (completed half of the quests in skyrim by now) and the other is 22, I don't feel like starting both of them all over.

Anyone know if the sleeping for 2 weeks thing will work?

I was having massive Savegame bloats lately and just couldn't find the mod responsible. After turning on logging I found that SoSCivSnore was spamming my logs and found this thread through some searching, never realised it was Sounds of Skyrim that was causing this.

I have been searching through this thread a bit and I notice people talking about not being able to delete mod because it won't remove the savebloats. Is there any way to fix this issue or do I need to start a new character? I have multiple characters that are heavily affected by this bug, one is lvl 42 (completed half of the quests in skyrim by now) and the other is 22, I don't feel like starting both of them all over.

Anyone know if the sleeping for 2 weeks thing will work?

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, there isn't a solution to this problem right now. I thought I was able to solve it and was able to play for a little while with my lvl 43 character and then, all of a sudden, the stuttering started all over again... :wallbash:

I tried everything that was suggested in this thread but, unfortunately, nothing seems to work. Sleeping for 2 weeks doesn't do anything (I tried sleeping for 31 days and over and no luck)...

Unless someone (hopefully Cliffworm's on it or maybe even someone else) comes up with a fix, I'm afraid that the only alternative right now is to start a new character... :(

Just a small addition: Given that the bloating hasn't started yet, creating regular saves may help to avoid this issue, with a good portion of luck.

I've also run into this problem some time ago with a character that I absolutely didn't want to start over again (level 36, in the midst of the dawnguard questline). Strangely, the bloating started suddenly without noticeable reason, even after weeks of playing without any problems.

But then I was able to identify the most recent savegame that was still uncorrupted. Since then, i.e. after starting over from that save, there hasn't been any more bloating, though I've played through eaxactly the same quests, dungeons etc.

It seems to me that the trigger for causing the bloating to take effect can be very specific, maybe a very rare combination of different factors, and not naturally reproducible. So by switching back to an older savegame and doing the same things than before must not bring up the same issue again.

Now I create explicite saves (not quicksaves or autosaves) about every 5 minutes and I also keep my savegame directory open on my secondary monitor while playing. By this I can track my savegame size in order to react very quickly if necessary.

You can always go the route I did but it hurts a little. If you can find a save from before you installed Civilizations and uninstall it, you don't have to worry about it. Cost me a lot of hours and 5 or 6 levels but no bloat.

Yeah, absolutely, that's a great alternative to starting over. Does anyone remember when Civilizations was released though? I'm trying to find an older save that didn't have it yet so that I can do what was suggested here too... :)