Smiths upgrading gear

LaMuerte

Did I , after 500 hours of gameplay , just now discover that smiths can upgrade weapons / armor , and the smith at Skyforge can get your gear up to legendary level ? Or did this feature sneak in via a mod? Just wondering if I should do an epic facepalm... :o) Edited by LaMuerte

if you complete glory of the dead quest and take up arms, it allows you to buy skyforge steel ( you get 1 item free, at least you used to). The quest listed allows you to smith nord hero weapons and ancient nord armor. Both these quests are companion quests. Edited by Brandy_123

There is a potion you can take to improve your smithing it last a few seconds, 90secs I think and there a pair of gloves that help you improve smithing, not mods either!..

If you have Iron or metal ingots and your smithing is maxed out you can make most weapons legendary, you need the mod called Lost Art of the Blacksmith to make other armor and weapons legendary

The potion's name is Blacksmith Ambrosia

The gloves name is The Forgemaster's fingers

Edited by sinnerman69

In-game smiths cannot upgrade your weapon/armor, only the character can - which seems pretty damn stupid to me.

Just a base upgrade is better than nothing to someone who simply doesn't want to be (or role-playing wouldn't be anyway) bothered with the whole Smithing process. A battlemage for example simply doesn't have the time to be bothered with Smithing - they already have a ton as it is on their plate.