TES:Online

spets21

Hopefully this turns out similarly-new people and new money are good.

Somehow I don't see this game bringing in any new fans unless the gameplay is spot on, or it's a FTP through Steam that is reasonably balanced. Almost every company these days has an MMO or two, and people usually drift towards those ones with the better graphics or those with the best gameplay mechanics. As the graphics are already geared around lower-end PCs, about the most that would draw more than the curious TES fan would be having outstanding gameplay and pvp.

On the dark side, once it launches Bethsoft might decide not to do any more DLC for Skyrim since it could arguably draw profit from the MMO, and may not be inclined to do any substantial work on TESVI until the MMO is phased out.

yeah i dont see that happening TESO is Q4 2013. skyrim and its DLC will finish by that time.

It doesn't look as "bad" as it could be. For a MMO it's about average.

You can tell however that they just managed to get blocking working serverside.

My concern is really the story aspect, Painting everyone as a special hero just loses its importance when you have a few thousand other "special" heroes running around. It's one of those complaints I've always had with Starwars MMO's... everyone and their dog is a Jedi.

I am concerned about the whole hero thing in general. How much of a bad guy can you be? I never play a good guy in TES. Sometimes something of a anti hero, but if the MMO is going to force you to be good without the evil choices it is terrible.

Also think I heard somewhere that you CAN'T explore the entire map. Just sections of the map.

It doesn't look as "bad" as it could be. For a MMO it's about average.

You can tell however that they just managed to get blocking working serverside.

My concern is really the story aspect, Painting everyone as a special hero just loses its importance when you have a few thousand other "special" heroes running around. It's one of those complaints I've always had with Starwars MMO's... everyone and their dog is a Jedi.

I am concerned about the whole hero thing in general. How much of a bad guy can you be? I never play a good guy in TES. Sometimes something of a anti hero, but if the MMO is going to force you to be good without the evil choices it is terrible.

Also think I heard somewhere that you CAN'T explore the entire map. Just sections of the map.

some parts of tamriel are closed off for xpac or updates or whatever

Well, from what I understand, the era of the MMO takes place during one of the civil wars just before the Empire was really founded. From this standpoint, the elven races are technically evil, although really good and evil are kinda ambiguous in all of TES lore. I guess one way to think of it is a similar setup to WoW, in that you have two (three in TES:O supposedly) factions who believe the other one to be evil. With most of the minor threats being things like bandit groups, rogue wizards, creatures, and usual fair. To date I can't really think of any MMO that managed to have a real "evil" path outside of the partial attempt in the original Everquest. Evil generally tends to be short lived in most games since it's usually only portrayed in killing people or being a necromancer.

I can see it doing OK, can't imagine it being a big MMO player though. It's got next to no hype as far as I can see. It'll have to appeal to some people, TES label that is going to carry it somewhere, almost certain it isn't going to threaten the big MMOs though.

I really can't see them not releasing it as subscription based. I am not really interested in the game in that case, but some TES Lore and getting to see some provinces, new creatures, that sort of thing interests me somewhat. Over all.. eh

Edited by Ghogiel

Well Vagranto is right about the "Painting everyone as a special hero just loses its importance when you have a few thousand other "special" heroes running around." said on his earlier post. It's what made me want to play the TES games in the first place, But i would definitely try it if it is a F2P and not sub-based payment model for an MMO. It's worth a try. IMO

I'm not gonna play it, I'd much rather see Skyrim get the good DLC it deserves(not bloody twilight: breaking skyrim for the god's bloody sakes) this is just going to be another generic wow-clone fantasy MMO. I'd much rather play Secret World, atleast it's innovative and distinct.

I'm neither a fan of vampires, nor Twilight, but I found (beyond a lone bug concerning a certain Moth Priest) nothing to complain about in Dawnguard.

That said, I'm not giving Online a thought, and I fully expect some serious DLC for Skyrim.

And failing that, we're going to build it ourselves, because this is Nexus, dammit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really excited to see more information on TESO. I've already gone through just about everything I could find, and with each new interview that I see, I just get more and more excited.

They're really trying to make this game have a familiar feel and setting with the other Elder Scrolls games. In fact, they work with Bethesda on a weekly basis to make sure the lore is good-to-go. What really excites me is the fact that quests will play out just like they do in single player TES games, where they branch off of each other rather than the typical MMO style of "kill 4 rhinos and bring back a healing potion."

Also the fact that the world will have a crazy amount of exploration. There was an interview where it was stated that you probably couldn't run across the map for more than 1 minute and a half without finding a new place to explore.