New Problem...

MarkusTay

So I have been playing just fine and everything has been running great for almost a month now (new personal record?), and the other night I did something stupid (not that I thought it was that stupid at the time). I've been waiting for the Zetan Arsenal stuff to be half price on the CC; I have some money left on there from when I first got the PC version of the game, because I wanted the dogs, and a couple of the settlement building packages (including Elianora's Nuka Cafe, even though I don't really use the Cafe itself - I just like all the items she created that I can use).

So anyway, the Zetan stuff hasn't gone on sale yet, but I noticed a faction paintjob was free. I had downloaded two other of those before when they were free (I mean, why not?), and also a pipboy skin (which I never used, so I never downloaded one of those again, even when they are free). I believe I had the MM and Atom Cats skins already, and I think the new freebie was the army paintjob (or maybe the Gunners? Are they the same one?) So it did the usual thing, and said the game had to restart for the changes to take affect. No problemo - have done that plenty of times before (I have a few other non-Nexus mods installed that are Beth-exclusives).

Except it WOULDN'T restart. It crashed instead. And now it keeps crashing back to desktop every time I try to start FO4. I went in and took out the paintjob I thought did it. in fact, I removed the other faction PJ's as well, because I wasn't entirely sure which one it was. Normally I can trace back something I did and find the problem, but this time, I don't even know where to begin. I validated the files on Steam, and Steam says everything is fine. I just don't understand what is going on. It acts like it is going to start, and I see that info come up in the upper left hand corner of my screen for the ENB (which I've had for awhile so I'm pretty sure its not that), but then it crashes back to desktop. When I check Steam, it records the time as 'the last time I played Fo4', so it doesn't even know it didn't start.

I've seen a few times around here others telling someone they can get a print-out of Fo4 starting up, so they can track the problem - can someone please tell me how to do that? I'm ready to give up, so this is really my last shot. After this happened I had given up completely (tired of spending more time keeping this thing running than actually playing), and I've been playing other (Steam) games the past couple of days, but I figure I'd give this one last shot before I call it quits. I mean, I feel like its not even my fault this time.. I was doing something perfectly normal - something you are MEANT TO DO - and now its borked.

Thanks in advance... and sorry for my usual long-winded explanation.

Wish I knew how I could help, but this seems like a problem entirely on bethesdas end. Which sadly means its never going to get fixed, what may have happened is that it tried to update your game (if it was not already updated) and found something it did not like and then tried to fix it while still trying to update it. I do not think it was anything you did on your end, its like that 0.01% chance that this error would happen and luckily you scored big.

Also I'm really trying not to laugh at you as I type this, but come on really CC again lol?

Like I said, I have some money left from when I FIRST STARTED PLAYING ON PC. I had been playing FO4 on Xbox before that, and really only had the Beth-mods to choose from (not just the CC). Thus, when I finally got a PC that could handle the game (well), the first thing i did was get me some CC money and reaquire some of the CC mods I had been using (not all of them - just a couple I really liked, as I said - the dogs and some of the furniture). I didn't really know about Nexus yet when I got that CC-cash - I was just 'doing what I was used to'. At this point, I wouldn't even bother with the dogs either (I liked to have one at every settlement, mostly for happiness), since I use Unique NPCs: Creatures and also the Cloning Gun mod (together, I can get just about any looking 'thing' i want in my settlements, including a huge variety of dogs). Thus, I have some of that credit left, and I may as well use it.

And I do like Alien stuff (I am considering doing an alien mod myself), so I wanted to get the Zetan stuff 1/2-off... silly me. I got screwed instead, by a free skin (I feel like I was a little kid, and Bethesda was the creepy guy in the van holding out some candy to me). Sure enough... my hiney got hurt. :tongue:

My game won't even start. If it started and then crashed, i 'might' have some clue what was going on, but this went from 'running smooth as glass' for the past 3½ weeks to not starting at all, and I get no error message. No warnings. Both Steam and Vortex say everything is 'just peachy'. I even went on to the Bethesda site directly, and my account is still fine - no messages there (I thought maybe they thought I was doing something nefarious, and are not letting the game validate... but Nope. My account is still fine and in good standing).

I turned off auto-updates on my Steam account after the last fiasco, so I suppose because I attempted to use the CC, it first had to update... and now I got a broken game again. Grrrrrrr....

Microcharges? More like handgranades stuffed into your hard-drive!

EDIT:

I am still hoping someone can still tell me how to get that 'report' for when the game boots-up, so I can see where its having a problem. I tried a couple of minor things, but of course they didn't work.

Is the crash log? I searched "how to get a crash log in fallout 4" I feel like this might not be what you want, but whatever this mod does something: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19514/

Also just thought of this after posting, maybe its a mesh or texture from a mod that is conflicting with your zetan weapons?

Edited by Undeadbob666

I never even bought the Zetan weapons... I've been waiting for it to go ½ price (they all do, eventually). The only thing it added (supposedly, unless they snuck in some other sneaky crap because it updated the CC content) was that armor texture, and as I've said, I pulled that file and the other two (also freebies) faction armor textures out of my Data folder.

Weirdly, when I check the folder that lists the mods (I have two - one with the list, and one with the load-order) it doesn't list ANY CC content. It does list the DLC's, and all my other mods (from ANY source), but none of the CC content is listed anywhere, except the mod themselves which are directly in the Data folder. So I don't even understand how things like Elianora's Nuka Cafe was loading to begin with (unless that 'update' somehow deleted all my CC content entries for some bizarre reason, freebies AND paid-for content). By 'freebie' I mean the stuff they offer for no charge occasionally.

As a last desperate resort, you could try to disconnect your ethernet cable, so that the game can't communicate. Silly as it may sound, that's still one of the official Bethesda tips for people who's game doesn't even start.

Thats the first thing I tried. LOL

But thanks anyway - Cheers

Interesting... according to the log only two files try to load before it crashes, and BOTH are CC-content related. Now, I expected something along those lines, considering how this new problem happened (crashing while 'updating' from Bethesda.net)...

BUT... this re-try made me realize something perhaps crucial I missed over the past couple of days (mostly because I've been trying several different methods to get the game started). When I use the F4SE.exe (inside Vortex) to start FO4, it goes to that first screen you see when you start through Steam - the one with 'play', 'Options', etc (4 choices).

I only ever saw that screen when I tried to start the 'normal' (vanilla) way - I NEVER saw it before when I started through Vortex/F4SE. It would just go straight to the SPECIAL video. Its like the game is trying to start vanilla for some reason, and then it immediately runs into a problem (because its NOT vanilla). However, I used to be able to start it both ways when I was troubleshooting something, so that alone shouldn't be causing the CTD. It would just mean I wouldn't get any of the functionality of the script Extender (so some mods would be broken... but the game would still start. It would just have constant crashes). Now it won't even start.

So the only other thing that is different from when I used to start it 'vanilla style' is that I now have an ENB, so perhaps the crashing is happening before it even starts? It doesn't solve the reason for the change/CTD in the first place, but it would explain why it won't even start up (unlike when I was having all those problems in December). What could possibly be making the game display that start-up screen now? (when it used to just skip it when I started through F4SE).

Now I have to figure-out how to remove that ENB crap so I can make the next step. I had a bad feeling about using one of those - I should have never taken the plunge (the game DID look great though, LOL).

Is the crash log? I searched "how to get a crash log in fallout 4" I feel like this might not be what you want, but whatever this mod does something: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19514/

Also just thought of this after posting, maybe its a mesh or texture from a mod that is conflicting with your zetan weapons?

It does nothing else than making the Papyrus log visible in a seperate window. No new informations.