New Problem...

MarkusTay

And as I said, it only mentioned two files - one I sort-of expected; its a CC file - some sort of LL insertion script, which I don't know why that armor paint-job needed... unless it was added to the faction lists (the other two I had I didn't think did that - I've never seen the faction paints-jobs appear on anyone else). Perhaps this was some new 'feature' they decided to add. The other was for a weapon animation from the Nuka-World DLC, which was unexpected. One of my other mods may have overwritten it (although would it still be missing? Shouldn't the original file structure of vanilla/DLC still be intact, BEFORE mods load in?) And like I said, Steam validates ALL the files, so that part doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Still, the only two files that even tried to load (and failed) before the crash were both Bethesda ones.

I really think its trying to load 'vanilla' (as if I were just starting the game through Steam, without Vortex or F4SE). Add to that its relaying that my settings have been set by the game/Steam, which the game only does the very first time you run it (detecting hardware). It will do this each time I restart my computer. in other words, it will do it the first time I try to start the game (detecting system hardware), and then not do it the rest of the day. I shutdown my comp for the night, and the next day it goes through that BS again. Something isn't 'sticking', so once again, this may be windows-related as well (although I truly doubt it - I've already checked all my permissions again... been down that road before).

So I am at the point where I think its just Bethesda's CC stuff trying to update when I foolishly tried to download some free stuff, and the update failed, and now the game is left trying to re-validate and can't... even though Steam says the installation is perfectly fine. I've had no problem doing that restart before, but maybe because the ENB pre-loads stuff, it interfered and caused the crash. I'm not doing the piecemeal thing again that I tried the last time - i use way too many mods, among other things (like BS, etc). I'm just going to try renaming the FO4 folder something else and hiding it from Steam (and those ini/other files that still are on the 'C' Drive), and then uploading a fresh copy of the game again, so everything resets to vanilla, and then try pasting it all back in after. I think its just having trouble re-validating after the damn Beth-update. I feel like it just needs to do that very first 'dry run' again to 'bake in' the settings (as I've heard other people here describe it).

Wish me luck......................

Hello, I'm hjaving a huge problem with F4SE, it seems that Fallout4.exe and F4SE.exe both want to start the game at the same time, hence CTD's...When I use the F4SE shortcut or from NMM, either the game will start...or CTD..or Fallout4 default loadup starts..I cant for the life of me figure out how to fix this. Does anyone know?

I have to wonder if that's whats happening to me. I had a weird 'double start' problem back in December, but when I reinstalled EVERYTHING that stopped.

What happened was that one copy of the game would start, and then I would see a second copy start-up (and it could just be that my comp is a tad 'beefier' than the guy above, hence mine being able to run a second copy rather than crash). I would simply exit-out of the second copy and everything would work fine (until all that other stuff happened LOL). Another thing was that the game would INSIST on restarting after I exited. Back before the end of Dec., every time I exited, the game would try to restart, and I would have to exit a second time. I hadn't thought about it, but its probably related to the double-start I would sometimes have back then...

And it sounds along the same lines as the poster above - that two different copies of the game are trying to run at the same time. I really think that the last time F4SE was updated, something went awry. Not for everyone, but on certain systems, something is messing up, and Steam and it are 'fighting' one another.

Maybe....

Anyhow, the thing I tried yesterday didn't work (I actually didn't expect it to, but it was worth a shot), so now I have one more thing to try, and then I am going to have to do the 'reload every single mod again' thing. {UGH}

I'm good, Game runs silky smooth again and it had nothing to do with the ENB and everything to do with Bethesda not updating my Creation Club stuff correctly (because it crashed while the game was reloading). There was a Manifest file in the Creation folder which must have been showing the incorrect data. Got rid of that, and everything else associated with the Creation Club (stuff I paid for, and the few skin I got when they were offered for free), and everything worked perfectly. It was that simple.

So the answer at the end of the day was to just stay the hell away from Bethesda and their broken Creation Club.

To be honest, I had a feeling all along that would do it - I just haven't put a whole lot of effort into fixing it the past week. I needed a break from the game. And this gives me an opportunity to switch out a mod for another (not that I didn't have that opportunity before - I was just afraid to mess with files/load order again since everything was working so nicely).

So the answer at the end of the day was to just stay the hell away from Bethesda and their broken Creation Club.

Don't have to tell me. The nexus is a wonderful place to get great mods for free. No need for paid stuff and to support a model that's geared at milking every last penny out of an old game.

Funny thing is, I still have 1000 moneys (whatever they're calling it LOL) over there, but I'll never spend it now, because I am afraid to log onto the page again (because if it tries to update again, I could have the same problem). They can keep their Zetan crap - I'll eventually figure out how to make my own Alien stuff.

At least it helped me get the last of my 'Console-player Mindset' out of my system. PC master Race, all the way. :P

I've been offline for about a month with isp problems but when i got back online fallout 4 began to ctd at the main menU. I reinstalled and no difference. I found a steam thread saying i should block the fallout 4 exe from the internet in my firewall. This fixed the problem but now fsllout 4 is basically offline so if i wanted to use creation club i couldn't. I'll try your method and see if it helps before sending a general distress call.

ps love the avatar. Been a long time since I read that book.

Edited by Guest

Thanks. It was probably the only one of his FR novels that received critical acclaim, because of its realism (dealing with the problems of alcoholism, which fantasy novels avoid). I never got to meet the author (R.A. Salvatore), although I was supposed to - family stuff came up that year so he never made it to Gencon. I did meet most of the others, and are friends with them (I do the maps at the front of some of those books). I even (briefly) worked with the amazing Ed Greenwood on a project, the creator of the Forgotten Realms (and the REAL Elminster himself LOL). Good times, but sadly, all behind me now. I've left P&P RPGs behind.

I really wish I could still go look at whatever the CC has to offer, even if I won't buy anything, but I am afraid the same issue may occur again. As an aside, it seems I was able to reinstall those CC things I purchased, but not the 'freebies' that I had downloaded from them (although I didn't even bother with that one pipboy skin). Thus, everything works, but something happened with the armor paintjobs so I can't use them. I was only using two (that were previously offered for FREE), and a it was when I installed a third that I had problems. According to the crash report, it had something to do with leveled lists, so maybe they added LL support for the paintjobs, and that interfered with the plethora of other mods I have (likely AWKCR). I could probably still get them working with patches, but why bother? The Nexus has much better options available.

Also, that 'manifest' file seems to be new (at least, I never noticed it before this most recent problem), and if that isn't updating correctly, it could be keeping the game from loading (likely some sort of 'anti-piracy' measure).

Cheers

Also, that 'manifest' file seems to be new (at least, I never noticed it before this most recent problem), and if that isn't updating correctly, it could be keeping the game from loading (likely some sort of 'anti-piracy' measure).

Cheers

Where's that manifest file hiding? I haven't got loading issues but very frequent CTDs and my Papyrus log shows that the game tries to load CC stuff although I never had any.